Why is there so much hating on the right on this website?

Page 6 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

If I were a moderate Right-winger, I’d be appalled by the things in this thread.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 8:37 pm

Idk, why are some people on this site supporting taking away women's bodily autonomy?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 8:47 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
If I were a moderate Right-winger, I’d be appalled by the things in this thread.

The GOP should have been moving to the center, but they haven't.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 9:02 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Yeah, maybe moderate doesn’t exist here anymore.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 9:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Yeah, maybe moderate doesn’t exist here anymore.

True. Anyone to the right of AOC is a fascist, yet anyone to the left of MTG is a communist and pedophile.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 9:23 pm

Because the right has grown increasingly reactionary. It is a predictable result of the last half century of stinging cultural defeats.

Most conservatives and moderates I've known in my life have moved at least slightly leftward with the times. This is what conservatives have been doing for almost as long as there have been conservatives.

However, mainstream conservatism has become increasingly radical and reactionary. Conservative media has become built around fear-mongering and stoking outrage for profit. Hardline conservatives become emboldened in this environment, and more moderate conservatives have to at least pay lip service to the reactionaries to stay in office.

If you want to be respected in the conservative mainstream nowadays, you cannot admit defeat in the culture wars no matter how untenable your position has become. Admitting fault or changing your beliefs with the times makes you a filthy RINO.

I am a damn dirty leftist, but I grew up around conservatives. Many of them I even respected. Some were even my friends. Now virtually all of those conservatives have either ceased to be conservatives or they feel embarrassed by what mainstream conservatism has become. One of my high school history teachers was an active local Republican, and someone I respected. As early as 2015 he was telling people that the GOP is no longer the party of Lincoln and the right is going off the deep end.

Part of it is that people have become less tolerant of a Right which has spent the last decades scoffing at rhetoric of tolerance and inclusion. Part of it is that mainstream conservatism has become less tolerable overall--conservative conspiracy theorists and trolls on this thread have been kind enough to provide supporting evidence for this point.

Pardon me, but I and much of the rest of the Left find it laughable and shockingly oblivious that so many conservatives try to stylize themselves as champions of tolerance and inclusivity...when they deride those same things when it does not benefit them personally. Is my queer self really supposed to sympathize that y'all's intolerant positions are not as tolerated as they once were?

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 1:59 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

I feel like this place is just another social and political echo-chamber. I don't know any of those on the right that still post here. The key to genuine discussion is to be open-minded and humble at your adversary's viewpoints, not attack them and automatically dismiss them as wrong or bigoted. Why can't there be constructive discussion about any position considered on the right?

Maybe this is just a safe haven for left wing supporters to gang up on the people of the right just like right wing people seem to be the entitled group out in the real world.

I hate right wing scum bags by the way but I'm more than happy, and willing to listen to your views but please don't go crying and playing the victim when I happen to disagree with you. This is not an attack it is my open and honest point of view.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:21 pm

Is it hate, or just staunch disagreement with views that are considered reprehensible and damaging to society? :chin:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:27 pm

Why is there so much hating on the right on this website?

Fake Panic:

Fake Victories:

Fake Facts:

Fake Promises:

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Is it hate, or just staunch disagreement with views that are considered reprehensible and damaging to society? :chin:

Do they not read history? At all?
To be a social conservative is, and always has been, to hold positions that society at large slowly realizes are not worthy of respect. They just forget and expect the rest of us to forget how abhorrent their beliefs were once those beliefs become indefensible in the mainstream.
You don't see too many people trying to argue that interracial marriage is anti-Christian anymore. You don't see many of them arguing that women should not vote because women belong in the kitchen. You don't see many arguing that only landowners should be able to vote. (It's funny, because I still very much see conservatives advocate these things. They just do it out of sight in their own echo chambers).
Give it 20 years and they'll silently discard their positions from today and hope that the rest of us will forget so they can demand respectability and spout the usual "both sides!!1!" nonsense.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:47 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
You don't see too many people trying to argue that interracial marriage is anti-Christian anymore.

Not often, but someone I adore recently reminded me of a thread on a hobby forum where someone condemned my last relationship as being an abomination because of our differing racial backgrounds. To be fair, it's the only time I ever faced condemnation from a religious angle, but it was pretty shocking to experience.

As can be imagined, I wasn't very tolerant of that perspective. :evil:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 4:14 pm

There can be plenty of constructive discussion about conservative fiscal and monetary policies, tax policies, small government etc.

There can be zero tolerance for racism, xenophobia, religious extremism, anti-feminist views or any other infringements on human rights including LGBT people, and also not for the methodic destruction of American democracy nor the rise of fascism.

Not sure how this is difficult to comprehend, but I hope I've explained it well enough.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2022, 5:27 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Positions that were even considered normal 15-20 years ago are now taboo and called "far-right". Especially since Trump was elected I saw a lot of members on here blaming Trump and seeing him as a monster and generally saying things like "Why are these right-wingers/Christians/conservatives so dumb", ad nauseum, like entire threads.

I feel like this place is just another social and political echo-chamber. I don't know any of those on the right that still post here. The key to genuine discussion is to be open-minded and humble at your adversary's viewpoints, not attack them and automatically dismiss them as wrong or bigoted. Why can't there be constructive discussion about any position considered on the right?

As someone who is generally on ‘the right’, I largely agree with you. And I’m not even much of a Trump supporter (I’m from the UK, and I see Trump as a fraud who betrayed his base, most of whom I sympathize with). Nor am I a Christian (I’m an atheist), nor a ‘conservative’ nor a great fan of capitalism (I like to think of myself as more of a right-wing progressive with leftist economic views). So one of my pet peeves with leftist/liberal rhetoric on WP is the assumption that anyone who disagrees with a leftist them is a conservative, a Christian or a capitalist (when I myself am none of these things).

Some might point out that the Left themselves are not a homogenous mass. In terms of the Left that has influence in the real world, they certainly seem to be a rather loose coalition, many of whom wear the mask of ‘leftism’ to push their own particularist agendas. This sounds kind of obvious, but it really doesn’t seem to truly register with several left/liberal types on WP, many of whom I suspect really do see leftism/liberalism as an end in itself (hence I have little hesitation in talking about them as an ideological grouping).

Anyway, I agree with the point about the hatred directed towards the Right on WP, at least with respect to the Politics sub-forum and News & Current Affairs sub-forum. I myself am not especially bothered by it, since I think it is generally to be expected. Firstly, I have experienced leftists/liberals behaving the same way virtually everywhere else I have encountered them, whether in autism forums or otherwise. Secondly, I think it’s natural that any internet forum is going to reflect the political biases of the people who run it, and given the nature of WP, it’s not surprising that bias is left-leaning. It would just be good if people here were more open about that fact.

I think political speech used to be far more free on WP a few years ago than it is now, but perhaps those days were the outliers and these days represent the norm. Despite all this, I still spend more time in the Politics sub-forum than in any other, but that’s mostly out of a sort of morbid curiosity rather than any expectation of debate. I would recommend that anyone especially bothered by the extreme left-liberal bias of the WP Politics sub-forum and the WP News forum should avoid them and spend their time in the other sub-forums instead, which generally seem pretty welcoming.

As to the question of why there is so much hate towards the Right on WP, I genuinely think that a lot of people on here think (by some weird trick of the mind) that by attacking the Right they are getting back at the people who were mean to them at school. I often see the language of the playground being used on here. When you disagree with a leftist on WP, you’ll often be accused of just wanting to pick on vulnerable people as if you were some 13 year old schoolyard bully.

On top of this, there is the tendency among leftists to think that the leftward drift that has occurred in Western societies in a historically insignificant period of time must be good and correct, simply because it has happened – as if life were some Star Wars movie where the good guys always triumph, or as if there were some sky god sitting on a cloud (which almost none of them claims to believe in) ensuring the same. The same people will then often sit around scratching their heads wondering how an ‘authoritarian’ country like China can be constantly increasing in power with respect to an increasingly socially left-liberal country like the USA, lol.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 9:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

What in your opinion is the center?

A lot of things that were just normal even 20 years ago are now lumped in with right and far-right.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

When the left starts to demand the right be put in labor camps, that is when it would really start to suck.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

What exactly does "the right" believe, and how is it different from "the left" ?

I know the generalisations and stereotypes, but I'd love to hear a compare & contrast from people who identify Right.

What exactly is it that you feel differently about?