Page 20 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 44  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 6:28 am

Just watching last nights debate. Sunak sounding like some cheap double glazing salesman and looking like he's taken body language tips from Tony Blair. He's failing to look like the showman he's been practicing to be in front of his bedroom mirror.

Truss is actually doing quite well in keeping her cool. I mean I don't understand policy stuff but I know who's coming out on top in this debate

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 6:47 am

KitLily wrote:
And here is Keir Starmer U-turning on renationalising the railways!

Starmer U-turns on leadership election pledge to renationalise railways
https://news.sky.com/story/starmer-u-tu ... s-12658870

Sounds like a Tory, looks like a Tory, is a Tory 8O

babybird wrote:
Just watching last nights debate. Sunak sounding like some cheap double glazing salesman and looking like he's taken body language tips from Tony Blair. He's failing to look like the showman he's been practicing to be in front of his bedroom mirror.

Truss is actually doing quite well in keeping her cool. I mean I don't understand policy stuff but I know who's coming out on top in this debate

I've been saying it for a while. The Tories are New Labour and have been since at least Cameron, meanwhile Labour, nursing a post-Corbyn hangover are desperately trying to be... New Labour again. It matters not who you vote for, or who wins the Tory leadership - you are getting Blairite neoliberalism, which is what we have had since the 90s. You will like it. And if you don't like it, you are mentally ill, and you will take your anti-depressants and smoke your weed and learn to like it. Now get back to work and pay taxes, or we're gonna chop the NHS.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 10:50 am

babybird wrote:

I was just thinking Sunak reminds me of Tony Blair! He even sounds like him! :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

Mikah wrote:
I've been saying it for a while. The Tories are New Labour and have been since at least Cameron, meanwhile Labour, nursing a post-Corbyn hangover are desperately trying to be... New Labour again. It matters not who you vote for, or who wins the Tory leadership - you are getting Blairite neoliberalism, which is what we have had since the 90s. You will like it. And if you don't like it, you are mentally ill, and you will take your anti-depressants and smoke your weed and learn to like it. Now get back to work and pay taxes, or we're gonna chop the NHS.

Yes, Labour isn't a true opposition to the Tories now. No one is. It is vote Tory, Tory or Tory isn't it :roll:

The present political climate reminds me of the 1980s. I knew deep down there was something wrong but I didn't know what it was. In the 21st century I know.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jul 2022, 11:36 am

Mikah wrote:
KitLily wrote:
And here is Keir Starmer U-turning on renationalising the railways!

Starmer U-turns on leadership election pledge to renationalise railways
https://news.sky.com/story/starmer-u-tu ... s-12658870

Sounds like a Tory, looks like a Tory, is a Tory 8O

babybird wrote:

Ah yes, I remember when Tony Blair started deporting refugees to Rwanda, tore up our relationship with the EU, tried to overturn the Human Rights Act, made it illegal to be annoying, announced he would be ending the license fee, and threatened to effectively end judicial review.

Saying that Starmer is the same as the Tories because he doesn’t want to nationalise the railways only makes sense if you only care about who owns the railways. I would politely suggest that most people really don’t care, and are more concerned about issues like the cost of living and the NHS. The Tories would rather focus on cultural issues than do anything to fix those problems. Starmer wouldn’t be my first choice for Prime Minister but he’d be a damn sight better than any of the clowns at the top of the Tories.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember when Tony Blair started deporting refugees to Rwanda, tore up our relationship with the EU, tried to overturn the Human Rights Act, made it illegal to be annoying, announced he would be ending the license fee, and threatened to effectively end judicial review

:lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 12:58 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Saying that Starmer is the same as the Tories because he doesn’t want to nationalise the railways only makes sense if you only care about who owns the railways. I would politely suggest that most people really don’t care, and are more concerned about issues like the cost of living and the NHS. The Tories would rather focus on cultural issues than do anything to fix those problems. Starmer wouldn’t be my first choice for Prime Minister but he’d be a damn sight better than any of the clowns at the top of the Tories.

Nope. I'm saying Starmer is sounding like a Tory because he set out a clear direction for his party about renationalising the railways and energy companies etc...then U-turned so he is now in line with Tory policies i.e. keeping them private.

That's not the only reason I'm fed up with him anyway. I happened to mention the renationalising of the railways because it is the latest thing on the list. I don't want to write a four page essay on why I'm getting increasingly annoyed with him.

So to summarise:

Why doesn't he DO SOMETHING? Like provide a clear direction and message for the Labour party? Something we can all get behind.

Such as:
We will support the NHS and build it up so it works again for everyone.

Or:
We will focus on moving to renewable energy sources so our country can be independent of others such as Russia. (and of course that would help the environment and slow climate change too, provide jobs etc)

Or:
We will focus on becoming independent in food production (which would of course cut down food miles and provide jobs)

Keir Starmer does not seem to be giving Labour a clear direction or providing a good opposition to the Tory government. I wish he'd do something proactive before the Tories make Britain a one party dictatorship. Unless we're past that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 1:43 pm

I think it's the voters that are making it a one party dictatorship.

I get sick of hearing people saying that they vote tory because there's no one else to vote for. Of course there is other parties. Just put your X anywhere other than the tory party. Just get them out.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 1:52 pm

babybird wrote:
I think it's the voters that are making it a one party dictatorship.

I get sick of hearing people saying that they vote tory because there's no one else to vote for. Of course there is other parties. Just put your X anywhere other than the tory party. Just get them out.

Yes it's not hard to vote for another party is it, I have never voted Tory in my life. I really hope we get Proportional Representation soon. As the MPs have done for the Tory leadership campaign. So THEY can use PR but the nation can't. A double standard as usual :roll:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 3:20 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Ah yes, I remember when Tony Blair started deporting refugees to Rwanda

Meaningless token, nothing has happened yet and probably never will. It's just more of the same Blairite Public Relations playbook:- Big words. Little action. Stir up the media hive in order to shore up support from the conservative (small c) voters they want to placate and retain (by getting their "enemies" to bleat on the airwaves) while pursuing their own grand agenda out of sight and mind. Meanwhile, legal immigration will continue unabated as it always does under the Tories.

The_Walrus wrote:
tore up our relationship with the EU

The Tories didn't want to do that. They only held the referendum because they were certain it would go their way. When it didn't, part of the reason it became such a mess was because ... they didn't really want to leave, but felt bound by the referendum. What they got in the end after much internal turmoil was a bunch of backbenchers and chancers claiming to have found Brexit enlightenment leading the charge - seeking an agreement to be in the EU without being in the EU and free trade for everyone, everywhere. EU computer said no and they didn't have the balls to overturn the referendum. Never mistake the Tories for being anti-EU, if anything they have always been more pro-EU than Labour, they just ballsed up by holding the referendum and are currently floating away from shore under a tide of populism.

The_Walrus wrote:
tried to overturn the Human Rights Act

Token again, stir up the hive, change little. What are they really going to do with it? What plans do they have? Deport murderers and rapists, perhaps deny them vote? Hardly world ending. It's all meaningless fluff designed to get bleeding heart media personalities to appear as talking heads on morning TV, mascara running down their cheeks, crying that the Tories are gonna reopen the Tower of London for torture purposes and reinstate the right of prima nocta for cabinet members.

The_Walrus wrote:
made it illegal to be annoying

Well, Blair did take some unpopular steps against protesting in the Criminal Justice and Police Act and we've spoken about New Labour's assault against civil liberties before... this stuff does not lie outside of the Blairite playbook.

The_Walrus wrote:
announced he would be ending the license fee

Token again....zzz. If he thought the BBC was getting in his way and not a firm ally, he would have privatised it in a heart beat.

The_Walrus wrote:

It's not just the railways, I see nothing original in him, a cookie cutter Blairite. If the method above didn't work so well at getting people inflamed about imagined Tory "crimes against the British people", people would better be able to see that the Tories are cookie cutter Blairites too.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 5:46 am

kind of feels like with Truss more than anyone I have seen before, if (when) she becomes PM the country will effectively be run by the Daily Telegraph & Daily Mail

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 8:29 am

Biscuitman wrote:
kind of feels like with Truss more than anyone I have seen before, if (when) she becomes PM the country will effectively be run by the Daily Telegraph & Daily Mail

So a continuation of what's been going on before then (as well as the Express, Times, Sun etc) :( The right wing media spoon-feeding the voting public with their agenda and the public blindly believing and following them. People need to learn to think.

Make Britain Think Again.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 8:54 am

I think we're encouraged to monitor the pulse of small issues as a distraction so that we don't notice the more important things. Whether it's Sunak or Truss doesn't matter all that much, but the media have been going on about the contest for days. General elections are arguably more important, but the media invites us to sit up all night watching the results coming in. Doesn't seem a good use of people's time. The only difference an election makes is that we might get a slightly more left-wing or right-wing government. Business leaders have been calling a lot of the shots for a long time, and their agenda isn't likely to change.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 9:01 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I think we're encouraged to monitor the pulse of small issues as a distraction so that we don't notice the more important things.

Yes. And distract us with cost of living and all the other vital things which we have to deal with, so we don't notice their agenda of moving towards a dictatorship. :?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 12:20 pm

KitLily wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

So a continuation of what's been going on before then (as well as the Express, Times, Sun etc) :( The right wing media spoon-feeding the voting public with their agenda and the public blindly believing and following them. People need to learn to think.

Make Britain Think Again.

I think Truss takes it to another level tbh. She has no political ideas or principles, she simply has her eyes on the prize and will do absolutely anything the newspapers (the Telegraph mainly) tell her to in exchange for their support

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
I think Truss takes it to another level tbh. She has no political ideas or principles, she simply has her eyes on the prize and will do absolutely anything the newspapers (the Telegraph mainly) tell her to in exchange for their support

They are going downhill aren't they. May was awful, Johnson was worse and Truss will be even worse. Where are all the good politicians these days? Are there any? :?