Sri Lanka: Pres. Rajapaksa to resign after palace stormed

Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 4:46 pm

Murihiku wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The leader, who enjoys immunity from prosecution while he is president, is believed to have wanted to flee abroad before stepping down to avoid the possibility of arrest by the new administration.

What an opportunistic coward :roll:

Perhaps Rajapaksa can be extradited back to Sri Lanka at a later date, assuming a strong criminal case can be built against him.

Maldive Islands is also run by a dictator who is his personal friend. But their friendship might be strained if Sri Lanka applies economic sanctions so, yes, Rajapakse's day's are numbered.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 4:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I guess it's a good thing one of my godsons and his dad cancelled their trip to Sri Lanka then.. they were to go this summer to visit his father's side of the family. I haven't followed any news at all about Sri Lanka, so just took his word for it that things were bad over there rn and so it wasn't safe to vacation there. Looks to be accurate.

One of the biggest Sri Lankan expatriate populations live in Canada. I am sure your godson's dad won't be homesick. Are they Tamil, Sinhalese and Burghers?

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Maldive Islands is also run by a dictator who is his personal friend. But their friendship might be strained if Sri Lanka applies economic sanctions so, yes, Rajapakse's day's are numbered.

Good grief, is that true? I suppose it makes sense he'd try to find someone who won't give him a hard time. :roll: Plus, the Maldives and Sri Lanka do have close cultural and economic ties. If only Sri Lanka were in any position to apply such pressure for his repatriation. Maybe some day.

There are reports that Rajapaksa's stay in the Maldives is not going down well with some of its citizens:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/1 ... -rajapaksa

However, there are also reports that his stay in the Maldives may only be temporary, and that he'll try to settle somewhere else before submitting his resignation in writing, as promised. So far he's neglected to do that, which is only exacerbating the current political crisis.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm

Things are getting worse in Sri Lanka. The prime minister has been "appointed" as acting president (constitutionally, this would have happened anyway), but protesters have stormed the prime minister's office demanding his immediate resignation too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62156711

Quote:
Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has told the military to do "whatever is necessary to restore order" after protesters stormed his office on Wednesday.

Mr Wickremesinghe has been appointed acting president by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who has fled the country.

But the decision to leave him in charge triggered further protests demanding that the prime minister must also go.

Sri Lanka has been suffering from its worst economic crisis in decades.

Many blame the Rajapaksa administration for the crisis and see Mr Wickremesinghe, who became prime minister in May, as part of the problem.

On Wednesday, for the second time in less than a week, protesters broke into a highly secure state building. This time it was the prime minister's office.

Echoing earlier scenes over the weekend of the occupied president's official residence, people in the prime minister's office lounged on plush sofas snapping photos, while others stood on chairs and desks waving the Sri Lankan flag.

In a television address, Mr Wickremesinghe called on protesters to leave his occupied office and other state buildings and co-operate with authorities.

"We can't tear up our constitution. We can't allow fascists to take over. We must end this fascist threat to democracy," he said.

But asked whether the prime minister's statement was an indication that the army might take control, a human rights lawyer in Colombo, Bhavani Fonseka, told the BBC's World at One that Sri Lanka "doesn't have a history where military has played an active role in politics or government - unlike some of the other countries in the neighbourhood".

"We have had a very robust democracy and it's been elected representatives in that role. But we are also in an unprecedented situation, so anything is possible," she added.

Outside the president's office, the BBC's Tessa Wong said armed soldiers stood by impassively watching the protesters celebrate inside the office.

And demonstrators ignored the prime minister's calls for the office to be emptied.

"Our goal is for Gota to go home. And Ranil and other cabinet members to go home," one protester at the prime minister's office, Nixon Chandranathan, told the BBC. "We need truthful and honest leaders to build up Sri Lanka now."

"We feel proud," Satish Bee, a businessman who came to explore the compound after it was stormed told AFP. "There's no proper governance in this country. It has never been good... The youngsters, they don't want to continue like this."

The continued unrest came as the news arrived that President Rajapaksa had fled to the Maldives.

The president went into hiding and pledged to resign after his official residence was stormed on Saturday.

The leader, who has enjoyed immunity from prosecution as president, is believed to have wanted to flee abroad before stepping down to avoid the possibility of arrest by the new administration.

He is, however, yet to submit a formal letter of resignation.

I imagine the prime minister can't realistically resign without a governing coalition being formed first to appoint a leader. But so far opposition parties haven't been able to finalise a power-sharing agreement.

Further, the PM has called on the military to stop the "fascist" protesters. :| Apparently Sri Lanka has no history of (successful) military coups, but one wonders what might happen if the crisis doesn't get resolved quickly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:13 am

Murihiku wrote:
I imagine the prime minister can't realistically resign without a governing coalition being formed first to appoint a leader. But so far opposition parties haven't been able to finalise a power-sharing agreement.

Further, the PM has called on the military to stop the "fascist" protesters. :| Apparently Sri Lanka has no history of (successful) military coups, but one wonders what might happen if the crisis doesn't get resolved quickly.

The irony is that successive Sinhalese governments since 1956 have themselves engaged in genocide against ethnic Tamils. One of the few examples in world history where world powers supported/gave military aid toward the genocide of its own people. Somewhat ironic therefore why the PM is choosing the f-word to label the protestors :roll: .

Only other examples I can think of is the US support for Cambodian dictator Pol Pot and the UN support for Aung Si Chi of Burma who also gave the green light toward genocide of their own people.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
One of the few examples in world history where world powers supported/gave military aid toward the genocide of its own people. Somewhat ironic therefore why the PM is choosing the f-word to label the protestors :roll: .

Only other examples I can think of is the US support for Cambodian dictator Pol Pot and the UN support for Aung Si Chi of Burma who also gave the green light toward genocide of their own people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_mass_killings_of_1965%E2%80%9366
Quote:
The Indonesian mass killings of 1965–66, also known as the Indonesian genocide,  Indonesian Communist Purge, or Indonesian politicide (Indonesian: Pembunuhan Massal Indonesia & Pembersihan G.30.S/PKI), were large-scale killings and civil unrest that occurred in Indonesia over several months, targeting Communist Party of Indonesia (PKI) party members, communist sympathisers, Gerwani women, ethnic Javanese Abangan, ethnic Chinese, atheists, alleged "unbelievers" and alleged leftists, often at the instigation of the armed forces and government, which were supported by the United States and other Western countries. It began as an anti-communist purge following a controversial attempted coup d'état by the 30 September Movement.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:46 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
One of the few examples in world history where world powers supported/gave military aid toward the genocide of its own people. Somewhat ironic therefore why the PM is choosing the f-word to label the protestors :roll: .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_mass_killings_of_1965%E2%80%9366
Quote:
The Indonesian mass killings of 1965–66, also known as the Indonesian genocide,  Indonesian Communist Purge, or Indonesian politicide (Indonesian: Pembunuhan Massal Indonesia & Pembersihan G.30.S/PKI), were large-scale killings and civil unrest that occurred in Indonesia over several months, targeting Communist Party of Indonesia (PKI) party members, communist sympathisers, Gerwani women, ethnic Javanese Abangan, ethnic Chinese, atheists, alleged "unbelievers" and alleged leftists, often at the instigation of the armed forces and government, which were supported by the United States and other Western countries. It began as an anti-communist purge following a controversial attempted coup d'état by the 30 September Movement.

Oh yes, I forgot about Indonesia. State sanctioned genocide

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:48 am

Murihiku wrote:
I suppose it makes sense he'd try to find someone who won't give him a hard time. :roll: Plus, the Maldives and Sri Lanka do have close cultural and economic ties.

Maldivian and Sinhalese evolved from the same language and they were once same people. When the people of Maldives converted to islam the language and culture drifted and became more Arabicised.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:19 am

Some interesting updates: Rajapaksa, who still hasn't formally resigned, has left the Maldives for Singapore; and protesters have reportedly left the presidential palace, vowing to also vacate other official buildings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62160227

Quote:
Sri Lanka: Fleeing president lands in Singapore

Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has arrived in Singapore on a flight from the Maldives, where he had fled after mass protests over his rule.

Singapore's government said he had been "allowed entry on a private visit". It is not clear if Mr Rajapaksa will stay or move to another destination.

He pledged to resign by Wednesday amid public anger over the island's economic crisis, but has failed to do so yet.

The cost of food, fuel and other basic supplies have soared for Sri Lankans.

The president fled to the Maldives on Tuesday night on a military plane and there has been much speculation about his plans.

"He has not asked for asylum and neither has he been granted any asylum. Singapore generally does not grant requests for asylum," Singapore's foreign ministry said, confirming he had landed.

The leader, who as president enjoys immunity from prosecution, is believed to have wanted to leave Sri Lanka before stepping down to avoid the possibility of arrest by an incoming administration.

It comes as acting president Ranil Wickremesinghe on Thursday imposed a curfew for a second day. His government ordered a curfew from noon (06:30 GMT) to 05:00 Friday to quell protests.

Quote:
Who will let him stay?
Analysis by Tessa Wong, Asia Digital Reporter in Colombo

Many are asking where Gotabaya Rajapaksa is planning to flee to next. But perhaps the more important question is: who will let him stay?

It is unclear if Singapore is a transit point on the way to the Middle East, or if he intends to stay in the Southeast Asian island, and if so, for how long.

But sources say it is doubtful the Singapore government will allow him to stay for long

The rich city state has in the past played host to controversial figures such as Thein Sein, Robert Mugabe and Kim Jong-un. But harbouring Mr Rajapaksa for the long term is likely to be a line they will not cross.

This is a man accused of war crimes, under intense global scrutiny right now, having gone on the run while his country slides into economic collapse. The international criticism that Singapore would receive would not be worth it.

Authorities would also have to contend with the backlash from the Singapore public, which in recent years has become more vocal and assertive.

The country also has a significant Tamil population, some of whom are of Sri Lankan heritage. Mr Rajapaksa is accused of allowing the deaths of tens of thousands of Tamil civilians during the civil war while he was defence secretary.

Many Tamil Singaporeans would be made furious by his presence, which would in turn rock the peace that authorities have painstakingly maintained.

In short, the longer Mr Rajapaksa stays in Singapore, the bigger the headache for authorities. And it may be a headache they would rather do without.

Major demonstrations since April over the country's economic crisis have escalated this past week, after protesters broke into the presidential palace on Saturday and set fire to the prime minister's private home.

On Wednesday, police fired tear gas at protesters who attempted to break down the gates of the prime minister's office in Colombo, before finally making their way in. They later headed for parliament but did not get in.

By Thursday, a spokesperson for the protesters said they would withdraw from official buildings. Protesters had handed back the president's official residence to the authorities when the BBC visited. There were no protesters at parliament on Thursday afternoon, a BBC correspondent confirmed.

Many blame the Rajapaksa administration for mishandling the crisis and see Mr Wickremesinghe, who became prime minister in May, as part of the problem.

The president's departure has created a threatening power vacuum in Sri Lanka, which needs a functioning government to help dig it out of financial ruin.

Politicians from other parties have been talking about forming a new unity government, but there is no sign they are near agreement yet. It's also not clear whether the public will accept what they come up with.

Under the constitution, it's the prime minister who should act in the president's stead if the latter resigns - but the fact that Mr Rajapaksa has not done so yet has raised questions over the validity of the acting president's hold on power.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:43 am

This is very interesting compared to British politics at the moment.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 11:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I guess it's a good thing one of my godsons and his dad cancelled their trip to Sri Lanka then.. they were to go this summer to visit his father's side of the family. I haven't followed any news at all about Sri Lanka, so just took his word for it that things were bad over there rn and so it wasn't safe to vacation there. Looks to be accurate.

One of the biggest Sri Lankan expatriate populations live in Canada. I am sure your godson's dad won't be homesick. Are they Tamil, Sinhalese and Burghers?

He's only been back a couple times in 20+ years, so I bet he looked forward to seeing his family - as well as introducing his 15 year old son to the extended family.

I have no idea.. I only know him as Sri Lankan. I think his family work in/with government, so possibly whichever group has been in power for the last couple decades or so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:37 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
He's only been back a couple times in 20+ years, so I bet he looked forward to seeing his family - as well as introducing his 15 year old son to the extended family.

I know people who belong to this community here in Melbourne and they are very fond of taking the kids back to see the motherland. I assume the son is half Canadian though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:38 pm

KitLily wrote:

Did Boris hide on a ship and sail away to an island too?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 2:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Did Boris hide on a ship and sail away to an island too?

I meant, I wish British people had the guts to storm the Prime Minister's house and set it on fire! And demand change. We are struggling with the cost of living and fuel going up and up too. Energy has gone up 54% recently and it started before the Ukraine war, that is just an excuse.

The French rioted about the same things and got it changed. But the British just continue consuming the right wing, billionaire-run media and thinking that good old Boris Johnson is doing his best, all immigrants are bad and should be sent to Rwanda, and covid is a scam. :roll:

And Boris Johnson's escape is to run away to Ukraine every 5 minutes to chat up Zelensky and make him think Ukraine is his priority :roll:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:44 am

Another update: Gotabaya Rajapaksa has formally resigned as president by email, and prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has been sworn in as interim president.

More info: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62176758

Quote:
Sri Lanka's prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has been sworn in as acting president as the country reels from an economic crisis and unrest.

He replaces Gotabaya Rajapaksa who fled to Singapore after unprecedented mass protests which saw demonstrators overrun the presidential palace.

Protesters defied a curfew to celebrate his resignation during the night.

Sri Lanka is experiencing economic chaos as it faces an acute shortage of food, fuel and other basic supplies.

The process of parliament electing a new president will begin on Saturday, with MPs likely to take a vote in a week's time.

Given the governing party has a majority, MPs are thought likely to back Mr Wickremesinghe, who has close links with the Rajapaksa family.

But whether Sri Lanka's public would accept this is another matter, because Mr Wickremesinghe's resignation as PM was a key demand of protestors.

Earlier this week, crowds stormed the former prime minister's compound, clashing with security forces.

A demonstrator. Manuri Pabasari, told the BBC at the time that a protest rally against Ranil Wickremesinghe was expected in the coming days.

"He has no people's mandate [and] is a well known Rajapaksa supporter," she added. "I mean the new president and the new prime minister should be not a Rajapaksa supporter."

The governor of Sri Lanka's central bank, Nandalal Weerasinghe, has warned the country may shut down if no stable government is formed soon.

There was a "lot of uncertainty" over whether enough foreign exchange can be found to pay for essential petroleum, he told the BBC's Newsnight programme, and progress on getting an international bailout package depended on having a stable administration.

Meanwhile, Singapore says the ousted president Gotabaya Rajapaksa did not ask for political asylum when he arrived there.

The former president, who arrived with his wife and two bodyguards, no longer has legal immunity as a head of state and his position is now more precarious as he tries to find a safe country to shelter in.

He is expected to stay in Singapore for some time before possibly moving to the United Arab Emirates, Sri Lankan security sources told AFP news agency.

If the prime minister doesn't resign as well – and perhaps if he even ends up elected as president – then we might see more massive protests. Let's hope the parties in parliament can form a governing coalition quickly, and select leaders that their citizens will support.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:59 am

KitLily wrote:
I meant, I wish British people had the guts to storm the Prime Minister's house and set it on fire! And demand change. We are struggling with the cost of living and fuel going up and up too. Energy has gone up 54% recently and it started before the Ukraine war, that is just an excuse.

The French rioted about the same things and got it changed. But the British just continue consuming the right wing, billionaire-run media and thinking that good old Boris Johnson is doing his best, all immigrants are bad and should be sent to Rwanda, and covid is a scam. :roll:

And Boris Johnson's escape is to run away to Ukraine every 5 minutes to chat up Zelensky and make him think Ukraine is his priority :roll:

Sorry to hear about the extent of cost-of-living issues in the UK. Things are getting more expensive around the world, but I remember reading about them in the UK even before the war in Ukraine started. I swear, Russia's invasion saved Boris Johnson from having to resign even earlier than he did.

Careful what you wish for with revolutions though: you may end up with singing in the Baltics – or the French Reign of Terror. Hopefully things don't become even more chaotic in Sri Lanka.