Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2007, 6:54 pm

I absolutely hate the taste of coffee. Even mocha flavoring in candies, drinks or ice cream makes me want to gag. I do like caffeine though, it perks me up and makes me more outgoing. I drink tea or colas when the need arises.

Last edited by bobert on 07 Aug 2007, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amarantha
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2007, 8:16 pm

I think I need to either drink more coffee or stop drinking coffee ;) Because I drink it so rarely that it affects me rather strongly when I do. It makes me less productive because I get all shaky and can't type properly, and I get task-related ADD, starting one job in the middle of another and suchlike. Plus if I drink it after about midday, it keeps me awake at bedtime.

But if I decide to drink more of it, I'll need to make sure I get lots of calcium to make up for the depletion effect, as I have joint problems that don't need exacerbating.

virtus_furtim
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2007, 10:29 pm

Great topic,
I love coffee and tea. I’ve tried different kinds in different places – now it reminds me of the places I’ve been. I still drink 2-3 cups a day of the strongest brew I can find; black or with a little cream only. I usually wait and drink it lukewarm – that’s horrible, I know, but it’s really too hot to drink it any other way. I am sensitive to caffeine, it is a stimulant for me, and I find it to be helpful. And a French press is the way to go; I find it makes a smoother coffee – perhaps because it is a cooler extraction than steam?
vf

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:45 pm

Maybe I should drink it. I love some kinds; other kinds tastes like sewage and makes me feel horrible. I should find the right kind to use as a stimulant for emergency lows when my antidepressant isn't working.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 9:18 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
when i drink coffee it makes me drowsey

before I go to work I make me a big cup and then get going!
when I want to sleep in I make me a big cup and then go back to bed. . .I will sleep for hours!

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

09 Aug 2007, 7:49 am

Amarantha wrote:
I think I need to either drink more coffee or stop drinking coffee ;) Because I drink it so rarely that it affects me rather strongly when I do. It makes me less productive because I get all shaky and can't type properly, and I get task-related ADD, starting one job in the middle of another and suchlike. Plus if I drink it after about midday, it keeps me awake at bedtime.

But if I decide to drink more of it, I'll need to make sure I get lots of calcium to make up for the depletion effect, as I have joint problems that don't need exacerbating.

If you get shakey off one cup, you should avoid it altogether. Those of us who have developed what could be called a dependency on it, of whatever severity, did so over considerable time and probably had only good effects initially. I developed a taste for coffee in college and then started practically mainlining the stuff in the military to stay awake working a rotating shift. You have a clear sign (excuse me, two of them, if you have joint problems from calcium depletion) that you really need never to start with it. I think you'd be wise to heed it. Besides, most soft drinks taste better to the average person.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 8:05 am

Koldune wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

If you get shakey off one cup, you should avoid it altogether. Those of us who have developed what could be called a dependency on it, of whatever severity, did so over considerable time and probably had only good effects initially. I developed a taste for coffee in college and then started practically mainlining the stuff in the military to stay awake working a rotating shift. You have a clear sign (excuse me, two of them, if you have joint problems from calcium depletion) that you really need never to start with it. I think you'd be wise to heed it. Besides, most soft drinks taste better to the average person.

wow, that is a lot of dictates! Do you have data to back up your proclamations or are you just pulling them out of your hat?

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2007, 8:31 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Koldune wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

wow, that is a lot of dictates! Do you have data to back up your proclamations or are you just pulling them out of your hat?

Um... I was just offering what I thought was friendly advice—mostly opinion—based on what Amarantha mentioned about her reaction to coffee and about her health in general. :? (grin) As for the ideas of how people come to drink lots of coffee, that was a guess based on personal experience. I hadn't intended to dictate or proclaim anything, and I apologize if anyone thought I was. :oops: (sheepish grin) If I'd had a bad reaction to coffee when I started drinking it, then I never would have developed a habit of it. As it is, too much coffee has caused me more problems as I age, so I've had to cut back.

Ultimately, I'm sure Amarantha is capable of weighing the worth of anyone's opinion herself, and either following given advice or not, as she sees fit. I said what I did out of genuine concern. Whichever one she decides, however, is really fine with me. :)

?E. Weatherwax

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 8:44 am

Koldune wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Koldune wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

Um... I was just offering what I thought was friendly advice—mostly opinion—based on what Amarantha mentioned about her reaction to coffee and about her health in general. :? (grin) As for the ideas of how people come to drink lots of coffee, that was a guess based on personal experience. I hadn't intended to dictate or proclaim anything, and I apologize if anyone thought I was. :oops: (sheepish grin) If I'd had a bad reaction to coffee when I started drinking it, then I never would have developed a habit of it. As it is, too much coffee has caused me more problems as I age, so I've had to cut back.

Ultimately, I'm sure Amarantha is capable of weighing the worth of anyone's opinion herself, and either following given advice or not, as she sees fit. I said what I did out of genuine concern. Whichever one she decides, however, is really fine with me. :)

ah! well, sorry to come off so harsh, myself. We sometimes lose a lot in the translaton from words on a screen. I was probably reacting to the military man, there, but had I looked at your Icelandic quote, I would have realized I was dealing with a Viking!

Truce? :?

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2007, 10:46 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Koldune wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Koldune wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

ah! well, sorry to come off so harsh, myself. We sometimes lose a lot in the translaton from words on a screen. I was probably reacting to the military man, there, but had I looked at your Icelandic quote, I would have realized I was dealing with a Viking!

Truce? :?

Absolutely, yes. Truce. And glad of it.

Just FYI, the military man is long gone (as in 10+ years). As for the aspie Viking, well …, at 6' 3", I somehow don't fit under door lintels well wearing a horned helmet. :lol:

?E. Weatherwax

Amarantha
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2007, 6:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, Koldune :)

(And for the defence, sinsboldly ;) )

Coffee affects me more on some occasions than others; perhaps it depends how strong the cup is. And I did avoid it completely for many years because of the calcium issue. But recent research suggests that the depletion is not as bad as had been previously thought, and that milk should provide sufficient protection (my addiction to a certain yoghurt should be a great help with this). I won't become a three-cup-a-day addict or anything, but I do love the stuff and would like to have a cup on occasion :)

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2007, 8:52 pm

I'm a coffee addict.. I admit it :)

Could be either because:

a) I've got rotating shifts - days/nights
b) There's a Starbucks pretty close to where I live
c) There are 18 Tim Hortons Coffee Shops in the city where I live (Call it a Canuck Starbucks.)

Never more than two per day, which is my limit.