1. It sucks.
2. My abusive ex would sing it to me.

Yeah, there might have been a time when I would let you slip away
I wouldn't even try but I think you could save my life

Just don't give up, I'm workin' it out
Please don't give in, I won't let you down
It messed me up, need a second to breathe
Just keep coming around
Hey, whataya want from me (whataya want from me)
Whataya want from me
Whataya want from me (whataya want from me)

Just don't give up on me
I won't let you down
No, I won't let you down

:roll: :roll: :roll:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:36 pm

Anything Frank Zappa.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:42 pm

Anything by the Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, etc.

That was a bad era for music. Priority was given to “musicians’” dancing ability rather than musical talent.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:45 pm

I never knew the boy bands.
I was too old and my kids were too young.

I actually like Britney Spears, insofar as I know two or three songs.
I feel for her trauma and abuse.
I think she had a good voice and could dance well.

Not my kind of music though, ideally.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2023, 12:53 pm

A lot of terrible songs in this thread. :) But Viva La Vida by Coldplay is not one of them in my opinion.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I never knew the boy bands.
I was too old and my kids were too young.

I actually like Britney Spears, insofar as I know two or three songs.
I feel for her trauma and abuse.
I think she had a good voice and could dance well.

Not my kind of music though, ideally.

I feel for her story, but I think she’s low in the talent department as far as music is concerned. She’s a good dancer, though.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2023, 12:11 pm

One song I hate with a flaming passion is "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend. This song is annoying beyond words and it basically sums up why so much hipster music is garbage.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 12:01 pm

Butterfly Kisses

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm

I actually LOVE Britney Spears, and I really enjoy her music, but I do get that a lot of people don't like her. I've noticed that many of her harshest critics tend to be rock and metal fans. I get a little hesitant with criticism of pop singers because at times it can come off as thinly-veiled sexism (Britney was slut-shamed throughout her career).

Sometimes, a singer's image and personality overshadow their music, or combine with their music. I hate Maroon 5 with a flaming passion. Not only is Adam Levine's voice annoying, but he's a real dick too. I remember when he got the halftime show he was literally the only performer willing to do it because everyone else was either on tour, not interested in performing, or boycotting it in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:46 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
I've noticed that many of her harshest critics tend to be rock and metal fans. I get a little hesitant with criticism of pop singers because at times it can come off as thinly-veiled sexism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism_and_poptimism

You might find these concepts interesting.

I think you're right that sexism is a big part of the scorn a lot of music critics had towards pop music in general. They didn't want to consider it as even being a valid form of music because it wasn't intended to appeal towards them and didn't follow the rules they had arbitrarily settled on for 'authentic music'.

A lot of rock fans hate pop music for not following the same rules as rock music. Two ironic things about that; fans of more underground styles of metal and punk tend to have the same attitude towards mainstream rock, which in the long run seems to have contributed to the decline of mainstream rock. To be fair, the same critics who established the rockist mindset largely hated metal and punk too, because they were aimed at kids younger than them with different preferences. They spent >thirty years repeatedly declaring that metal and punk were dead every time album sales slumped by a little bit.

The second being that hip-hop, industrial, big-beat and some other types of music that are made by producers, rather than bands manage crossover success with rock fans and no one really questions it, while at the same time pop acts that write and play everything on their albums don't get any extra credibility among most rock fans for it.

Sexism, racism and homophobia all play a role in the rockist mindset, although they're not inherent to it. At the end of the day it seems to be a reflection of the preferences of a bunch of straight, white, male critics who liked what appealed to them and dismissed everything else as inauthentic (pop, r&b, disco, etc), or noise made by delinquents (hip-hop, metal, punk).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 9:12 am

funeralxempire wrote:
NibiruMul wrote:
I've noticed that many of her harshest critics tend to be rock and metal fans. I get a little hesitant with criticism of pop singers because at times it can come off as thinly-veiled sexism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism_and_poptimism

You might find these concepts interesting.

I think you're right that sexism is a big part of the scorn a lot of music critics had towards pop music in general. They didn't want to consider it as even being a valid form of music because it wasn't intended to appeal towards them and didn't follow the rules they had arbitrarily settled on for 'authentic music'.

A lot of rock fans hate pop music for not following the same rules as rock music. Two ironic things about that; fans of more underground styles of metal and punk tend to have the same attitude towards mainstream rock, which in the long run seems to have contributed to the decline of mainstream rock. To be fair, the same critics who established the rockist mindset largely hated metal and punk too, because they were aimed at kids younger than them with different preferences. They spent >thirty years repeatedly declaring that metal and punk were dead every time album sales slumped by a little bit.

The second being that hip-hop, industrial, big-beat and some other types of music that are made by producers, rather than bands manage crossover success with rock fans and no one really questions it, while at the same time pop acts that write and play everything on their albums don't get any extra credibility among most rock fans for it.

Sexism, racism and homophobia all play a role in the rockist mindset, although they're not inherent to it. At the end of the day it seems to be a reflection of the preferences of a bunch of straight, white, male critics who liked what appealed to them and dismissed everything else as inauthentic (pop, r&b, disco, etc), or noise made by delinquents (hip-hop, metal, punk).

I had my elitist phase in my early 20’s when I heavily into New wave. The targets of my ire was what is now called “Arena Rock” that we called “Corporate Rock”. They were generic hard rock bands with the obligatory power ballad. Talented groups and very, very successful but boring to me. I am talking about groups like Styx, Kansas, Boston, Foreigner, Toto etc.

As far as my attitude towered todays mega pop stars my attitude is I don’t get them and that is how it is supposed to be. As far as Taylor Swift I greatly respect what she and her fans have done. Us ok boomers love to throw The Beatles at younger generations. They had incredible popularity while changing and being innovative. Their heyday lasted under a decade. Swift’s popularity started in the aughts and has continually grown, and grown, and grown while stylistically changing. From what I read the connection between her and her fans is unprecedented. I have no clue as what that connection is and why is it has occurred and is occurring.

All of the above is a long way of saying that while racism, sexism and other isms/phobias is todays go to explanation for every dislike IMHO the most important reason for “rockist” critics dismissing pop stars is as you mentioned them not getting music not meant for them because they come from a different era. It has always been that way(LOL).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 9:55 am

I don't like Christmas music.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:05 am

^^ I went through my elitist phase as a teenager. I only liked singer/songwriter stuff, singers that had an especially good voice, or classical music, so I listened to very little pop and lots of my parents' music, especially The Beatles or Simon and Garfunkel. Of course, I wasn't around peers all that much, so that probably played a part as well. i also played the piano which furthered my love for classical music although I liked it as a young child too. Fantasia was one of my favorite movies.

My taste in music hasn't changed since I was a teenager. Maybe if I listened to pop more, I would like it more. I almost exclusively use YouTube and pick music that I know will appeal to me rather than just listening to random stuff on the radio.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:07 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

I only like Christmas music that's slow and in a minor key. "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" makes me want to take up hunting, and I hate guns.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:25 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:

I only like Christmas music that's slow and in a minor key. "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" makes me want to take up hunting, and I hate guns.

I feel like to me personally there are two types of Christmas Songs: Depressing and Cringe.

To be honest I don't think I even really like this holiday for a lot of reason. For one thing it was stolen from ancient holidays like Saturnalia and Yule and turned into "Jesus' Birthday" which is a load of crap.

And I could forgive all of that if it wasnt for the fact that today Christmas no longer has any true spiritual meaning. It's all about corporatism or politics now. Everyone going into debt to buy expensive cheaply made gifts like it's some kind of competition. Seeing my mom stress herself out like Lois from Family Guy every year to make her family happy really ruins my enthiuasm for this holiday.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:31 am

I celebrate Christmas, but it has nothing to do with Jesus for me. My family was against Christmas when I was a kid, and I’m an atheist now. I like that Christmas doesn’t have any true spiritual meaning although I suppose one could say that spending time with family and creating memories is something. I also think some of the traditions are nice and my son looks forward to the presents.