Page 10 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:39 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I celebrate Christmas, but it has nothing to do with Jesus for me. My family was against Christmas when I was a kid, and I’m an atheist now. I like that Christmas doesn’t have any true spiritual meaning although I suppose one could say that spending time with family and creating memories is something. I also think some of the traditions are nice and my son looks forward to the presents.

But the point I'm trying to make is that Christmas is often hijacked by corporate interests and it stresses a lot of people out thinking they have to buy gifts even if they can't afford them.

I understand why people want to show kindness and generosity to their familes on this day and I always do the same myself, I just don't like how it all gets exploited by greedy corporations or politicians using it to fuel culture wars.

It's the same with other holidays like Halloween and the American holiday Thanksgiving I guess...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 3:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
All of the above is a long way of saying that while racism, sexism and other isms/phobias is todays go to explanation for every dislike IMHO the most important reason for “rockist” critics dismissing pop stars is as you mentioned them not getting music not meant for them because they come from a different era. It has always been that way(LOL).

I think the biggest evidence for sexism, racism and homophobia playing a role is how often some genres are attacked as <slur> music. Some of it is conscious, some of it is subconscious, but it seems like it is significant factor, even if it's only part of the overall answer.

Bigotry is always a potential contributor to why someone might have a kneejerk reaction and decide a given form of entertainment is not for them, whether conscious or subconscious.

As much as I don't believe racism or sexism or homophobia are likely motives for me disliking pop and r&b, I'd be willing to concede my association of it with 'popular kids' who bullied me is almost certainly a factor. Besides misophonia, I'm pretty sure I've engaged in the same sort of kneejerk, only with normie as the slur instead of an f-slur or n-slur.

It's not as though some of the music I enjoy didn't cause misophonia on first exposure, so I don't think I can chalk my tastes entirely up to avoiding what triggers misophonia for me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 6:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
All of the above is a long way of saying that while racism, sexism and other isms/phobias is todays go to explanation for every dislike IMHO the most important reason for “rockist” critics dismissing pop stars is as you mentioned them not getting music not meant for them because they come from a different era. It has always been that way(LOL).

I think the biggest evidence for sexism, racism and homophobia playing a role is how often some genres are attacked as <slur> music. Some of it is conscious, some of it is subconscious, but it seems like it is significant factor, even if it's only part of the overall answer.

Bigotry is always a potential contributor to why someone might have a kneejerk reaction and decide a given form of entertainment is not for them, whether conscious or subconscious.

As much as I don't believe racism or sexism or homophobia are likely motives for me disliking pop and r&b, I'd be willing to concede my association of it with 'popular kids' who bullied me is almost certainly a factor. Besides misophonia, I'm pretty sure I've engaged in the same sort of kneejerk, only with normie as the slur instead of an f-slur or n-slur.

It's not as though some of the music I enjoy didn't cause misophonia on first exposure, so I don't think I can chalk my tastes entirely up to avoiding what triggers misophonia for me.

I would say that homophobia, sexism, and racism were more predominant reasons in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Now the main prejudice seems to be ageism as in those zoomers are dumb, they spend all day on their phones.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2023, 6:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I would say that homophobia, sexism, and racism were more predominant reasons in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Now the main prejudice seems to be ageism as in those zoomers are dumb, they spend all day on their phones.

Sexism was still alive and well in the 90s and 2000s. Maybe overt sexism was less common, but covert sexism was common. Slut-shaming was a common way it manifested itself in that era. Taylor Swift received tons of criticism for having many boyfriends in a relatively short time span, yet male singers and bands could sometimes get away with singing about grown men having relationships with teenage girls.

Some of Britney's contemporaries who were in other genres had very problematic music. Eminem frequently rapped about killing women - in fact, on The Marshall Mathers LP, nine out of the eighteen songs contain references to killing women.

Homophobia also didn't end after the 80s. The 90s were still quite homophobic. Homophobia in music largely shifted to rap music by that point. Toxic masculinity was a big part of rap culture. The aforementioned Eminem has frequently used homophobic language in his music, and lots of other rappers made regular use of homophobic slurs. It's only really been within the past 10 years that rap began to move away from homophobia.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Dec 2023, 6:42 pm

Oh Danny Boy. I like Celtic music but that song is too slow for me & it sounds kinda sad to me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition