Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 7:53 pm

I would like to experience the phenomena of the "hot emotional state." I have suspected for along time that I'm too controlled, it is rare that I ever get angry or what ever.

These "bad" decisions, seem to be directed by the selfish gene and aid reproduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene-cente ... _evolution

It would be a bad, as far reproduction is concerned, if a person could only experience the "cold emotional state". The hot emotional state appears to provide an evolutionary advantage, it forces even the most controlled Vulcan (sex abstinence advocate) to experience the Pon Farr and thus they make babies! At allows humans to be both logical (presidents) and reproduce with the best genetic mate, even if that mate is culturally and socially a taboo. Genes don't care if you lose your career, the No. 1 important thing is that the genes are passed on to the next generation.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Pon_farr

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 10:25 pm

I am more likely to be baffled by people's compulsion to judge than by the acts that so baffle them. First, I wonder why it matters so much to them what a particular celebrity or politician happens to be doing with his or her life. I don't think vices in themselves are necessarily a bad thing, but if they start having a negative impact on others, the vice is out of control. (If a person enjoys gambling, drinking, or sex with prostitutes, all right for them.) I don't expect others to share my tastes, opinions, and preferences, and I expect the reciprocal from them.

In terms of "cold emotional state" vs. "hot emotional state," I do tend to be somewhat detached in most situations, but I've had my moments of intense passion as well. I believe in exercising some emotional self-control, but I don't think acting on desires is in itself harmful either. It's all about prudence.