Are You Only Intrinsically Motivated To Go To Work?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 9:59 am

Are You Only Intrinsically Motivated To Go To Work?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

Aren't most people like that?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:07 am

(Too bad there is no poll.)

[opinion=mine]

Some people derive their greatest joy from being engaged in their occupations, with the joy being their sole motivation.

Some people derive no such joy, and go to work only to meet living expenses, with the ability to meet expenses being their sole motivation.

Somewhere in-between these two extremes may be where most of us exist -- we derive some joy from our work, and some joy from from staying out of poverty, with both "joys" motivating us to go to work.

[/opinion]

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:23 am

I've always hated work and the way it infringes on my time. Even though I think, compared to a lot of people, I've been able to hold down fairly privileged jobs that many would barely consider working at all. It's the time and the obligation and people looking over my shoulder that I hate, not the work itself. I'm freelance now which means I can at least work when I choose, to a point, but I still get a knee-jerk negative reaction when I get a commission. I should be happy about it, but I never am.

I do it for the money, which is why I've only ever earned the bare minimum necessary to maintain a basic standard of living.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 2:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:

@Joe90

No, most people are extrinsically motivated to go to work.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 2:07 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I've always hated work and the way it infringes on my time. Even though I think, compared to a lot of people, I've been able to hold down fairly privileged jobs that many would barely consider working at all. It's the time and the obligation and people looking over my shoulder that I hate, not the work itself. I'm freelance now which means I can at least work when I choose, to a point, but I still get a knee-jerk negative reaction when I get a commission. I should be happy about it, but I never am.

I do it for the money, which is why I've only ever earned the bare minimum necessary to maintain a basic standard of living.

@DuckHairback

Which jobs were the fairly privileged jobs? (That many would barely consider working at all).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 2:11 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
. . . most people are extrinsically motivated to go to work.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 2:14 pm

I'm motivated to go to work by my need to be independent.

I didn't want to live with my mother forever----so I went out and got jobs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 2:52 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

@Joe90

To be honest, I don't know what those two words mean or how to pronounce them even. I googled them but both seemed to come up with the same meaning.

I wish people here would dumb their wording down a bit.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 8:50 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

@DuckHairback

Which jobs were the fairly privileged jobs? (That many would barely consider working at all).

I used to work in magazines, initially reviewing hifi equipment and then writing about movies. I've written for travel magazines so got some free travel and reviewed 5* hotels as part of my job. That's what I mean. It's work in terms of there being obligations to deliver but, you know, there's people out there digging wells for a living.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 12:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

@Joe90

To be honest, I don't know what those two words mean or how to pronounce them even. I googled them but both seemed to come up with the same meaning.

you are a nice writer all the same

means motivated from outside

anemoshii
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2022, 12:10 am

I am extrinsically motivated by the need for money and that’s it. I would love a career that I am intrinsically motivated by, but all work I’ve done so far has been soul-crushing and burns me out faster than a birthday candle.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

It appears to me that a lot more people hate their jobs, than love their jobs

Not everyone has the same ideal job

Maybe the more someone likes their job, the more intrinsically motivated they will be

However many factors come into play. For example, different personalities

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

@Joe90

I dont know what the OP is talking about either.

I know of "intrinsic" only from astronomy class, and didnt know 'extrinsic' was even a word at all.

In astronomy its used in the phrase 'instrinsic brightness of a star' - meaning its "the absolute brightness of the star" as opposed to "how bright it looks from the earth" (wimpier stars that are closer to us LOOK brighter than do big brighter stars that are far away).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:27 pm

Ok..intrinsic means 'something other than money motivates you'. Extrinsic means you feel forced to go to work because you're a 'wage slave'.

Did have a second part time job that was largely intrinsic in motivation. But my main day job is mostly extrinsic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

It does seem that a lot of NTs can motivate themselves to endure going to work even if they don't like it, because they know they need the money so they stick it out without their emotions getting in the way too much.

With me, I have to like my job, otherwise I'll suffer with anxiety and depression and panic attacks every day. I like my current job so I find it easier to get out of bed each morning and go to work and do my job. I didn't like my previous job for a number of reasons, so it made me miserable and the struggle of getting out of bed and going to work was so mentally exhausting. I kept contemplating whether to leave or not, but I was frightened of having no money and the job centre being insensitive because of walking out of a job.

I'm so glad and thankful that the job I really wanted actually came up and I was hired. Only it happened at a bad time - when my mum was ill. But I had to take it, despite my darling mum being extremely important to me. It was a hard decision.