Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

squier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:41 pm

right now i'm at my grandparents house with my mom and dad, my grandfather lives by a lake with the same name as him, we are at lake norman North Carolina,
thats the reason i haven't been posting alot recently--vacation.
anyway, we went to the carolina raptor center, and i adopted a barn owl for $50, basically the money i paid feeds her for a year and i can write letters to her and i get a really nice picture of her and everything, i have to renew it every year though. the best part is whenever i'm here at my grandfathers i just call the CRC and when i come to visit, they get her out and i can visit her, its really great fun and now i have a friend hoo (get it? hoo!) will always listen!
but her name is Emma, she's barn owl, and she's 4 years old, normally, owls at rhe CRC live something like 27 years. she is a resident because she was hit by a car and her wing didn't heal right, so she can only fly short distances. but she's a beautiful owl, her eyes are entrancing when she looks at you, my dad says the the look in her eyes gives him the feeling she's saying "i could eat you if i wanted to"
here's a picture:

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Aug 2007, 3:44 pm

why wont they let you take the owl home. owls rule

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 3:54 pm

I'd love to have an owl :D

Emma seems to be so dignified, like a reigning monarch :D

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 3:55 pm

That's awesome, squier! Thanks for supporting wildlife in need! :D

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

richardbenson wrote:
why wont they let you take the owl home. owls rule

Re Richard's Signature: Way to go, Richard. I'm rooting for you. :star:

Squier - Awesome owl. Hope she lives to a ripe old age. Does this mean you will have little owl grandchildren someday?

Vastarien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2007, 4:04 pm

Whoa, sweet friend! She's beautiful, and those eyes are truly amazing.
She looks like Jareth, the Goblin King...maybe she's Queen of the Goblins, LOL!
Congrats on finding her, and I wish you much happiness.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:18 pm

I like owls.

I have some Eagle Owl and Snowy Owl feathers.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Aug 2007, 4:25 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Re Richard's Signature: Way to go, Richard. I'm rooting for you. :star:
thank you!

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2007, 5:56 pm

Wow! Adopting an Owl. That's different!

Is it difficult taking care of an Owl? Is this Owl well behaved? Sorry for these type of questions but I never heard of anyone adopting an Owl as a pet before.

Good luck!

squier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 6:35 pm

redrocket: i can't take her home, that's illigal you can't have an endangered species as a pet. and its even worse if the animals injured or disabled, and since she has a weak wing, she counts. the one reason the CRC can keep her and other owls (like dumbledore the great horned owl) is because they are funded by the government except for food, thats probably why you haven't heard of it before. but the money i paid to adopt her will feed her for a year, and i can write to her, and i can visit with her whenever i come.
cosmiccat: i don't know if i will have owl grandchildren, they just got a new barn owl like her but its a she and she may not be a permanent residents, she probably will live a long life, they double their life expectancy there, which makes me very happy for her.
aspraval: i was about to say that thats illigal, but your in the UK, so never mind

PS: don't throw trash out of the window, not even ciggerette buds, it attracts rats for food and items for their nest (ciggerette buds) and that attracts owls, and though their eyesight is much better than ours they get tunnel vision and wont see your car just the rats, and thats how they get hit. thats how emma got hit by the car and ended up at the CRC i bet...

my book:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 6:44 pm

That's really cool. There are lots of web cams for barn owl nest boxes, and other owls. Google it

My favourate owl is the Eurasian Eagle Owl

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2007, 6:57 pm

Well, I never throw trash out of windows, but now you have given me even more reason not to. I think what you are doing is great. Maybe you will be able to give me some advice:

About three weeks ago, my husband found a baby robin in our back yard. It had no feathers yet and it was covered with ants. My husband got all of the ants off of it and brought it onto our screen porch. My daughter and son-in-law pulverized dog kibble and made a moist mash of it and we fed the bird with medicine type syringe that comes with baby tylenol. The robin did well and grew and became fully feathered. It is now eating blueberries and meal worms. It's like a member of the family and flys freely around the screen porch and gets along well with our two parakeets. It believes or acts as if we are its family and doesn't want to leave. My husband let it go two days ago and it flew up into a tree. The next day he went out back and saw feathers all over the ground and thought it was dead. But later that day, while we were sitting on the porch, it came up to the front step and wanted to come in. So now its back on the porch and its wing is damaged but its doing better, still eating voraciously and we think it will recover. What are we going to do with it? We don't want to let it go because we are afraid that it will suffer more damage or be killed by a predator. Do you have any suggestions? Anyone?

squier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 9:11 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Well, I never throw trash out of windows, but now you have given me even more reason not to. I think what you are doing is great. Maybe you will be able to give me some advice:

About three weeks ago, my husband found a baby robin in our back yard. It had no feathers yet and it was covered with ants. My husband got all of the ants off of it and brought it onto our screen porch. My daughter and son-in-law pulverized dog kibble and made a moist mash of it and we fed the bird with medicine type syringe that comes with baby tylenol. The robin did well and grew and became fully feathered. It is now eating blueberries and meal worms. It's like a member of the family and flys freely around the screen porch and gets along well with our two parakeets. It believes or acts as if we are its family and doesn't want to leave. My husband let it go two days ago and it flew up into a tree. The next day he went out back and saw feathers all over the ground and thought it was dead. But later that day, while we were sitting on the porch, it came up to the front step and wanted to come in. So now its back on the porch and its wing is damaged but its doing better, still eating voraciously and we think it will recover. What are we going to do with it? We don't want to let it go because we are afraid that it will suffer more damage or be killed by a predator. Do you have any suggestions? Anyone?

take it to an animal hospital, tell them its been imprinted, they'll heal it up and it will have to be moved to a refuge, i don't want to spoil the fun, if you want to keep it you can find a friend who knows about animals better, but it would be alot safer there

my book:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2007, 10:37 pm

We do have a wonderful refuge very close to us. Named after Senator John Heinze who died in an airplane crash. We will probably take the robin there. And you might be interested to know that the Bald Eagle is making a come back in our area. We have spotted one twice flying over our own back yard. Also, we're getting a large bat population, we have tons of mosquitoes and my husband and grandson have made a few bat houses and set them up out back.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/heinz/

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 4:27 am

Check out Elf Owl and Pigmy Owls for very small owls and Horned Owls genus tend to be the largest owls.

Barn owls are in Tytonidae and they are unique from the ‘typical owls’.

There are some birds in the order Caprimulgiformes. They are not owls but are related. I like to see how things evolve.

Anyway there is load of stuff on olws in wikipedia and online.