Making a difference between ASD and NTs wit ASD traits

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 12:27 pm

Making a difference between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Neurotypicals with persistent and consistent autistic tendencies just splits our hair, and let me explain why.

The only difference between ordinary people with persistent and consistent autistic tendencies and people with Autism Spectrum Disorder actually makes no difference, the only difference is one is not diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and the second is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Let’s look at what Neurotypical means.

What does Neurotypical mean? Disclaimer: The term Neurotypical belongs to Google, not me.

neu·ro·typ·i·cal

/ˌn(y)o͝orōˈtipikəl/

adjective

adjective: neurotypical; adjective: neuro-typical

not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behavior.
"neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one or the only correct one"

If we get very technical like a digital computer, we can consider Neurotypicals with persistent and consistent autistic tendencies as having undiagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder. If we get 100 times more technical, if some people without a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder show persistent and consistent autistic tendencies, we in a technical, in a subclinical way cannot call them average, because being normal means not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behavior.

I hate us vs them mentality because if you are concerned that a person who is not diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder is showing persistent and consistent autistic tendencies, don’t invalidate their traits, because if it persists more, it can cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning.

Don’t call people who show persistent and consistent autistic tendencies normal, just because they are not diagnosed with any neurodevelopmental or neurological disorder, because they don’t fit the definition of what Neurotypical means.

I think the term Neurotypical should be a little broader to include mental disorders, not just neurological or neurodevelopmental disorders.

My new definition of what neurotypical means:

A person that is neurologically developed and does not show any symptoms of one or (more) mental disorders or neurological or developmental disorders, but if a neurologically developed person starts to show any symptoms of one or (more) mental disorders or neurological disorders, a person cannot be neurotypical anymore

Citation:

What does Neurotypical mean?

My website about my own research and study:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... aEnvJv/pub

References: (With some citations)

1) Even ‘baby sibs’ without autism show delays in first year (Citations)

2) The Broader Autism Phenotype in Infancy: When Does It Emerge? (Citations)

3) Criteria For Autism Spectrum Disorder Should Include BAP (By me)

4) Autism diagnostic criteria (Citations)

5) Broad autism phenotype: theory of mind and empathy skills in unaffected siblings of children with autism spectrum disorder (Citations)

6)What Is the Broad Autism Phenotype? (Citations)

7) Question If Broad Autism Phenotype Should Be A Diagnosis (By me)

8) Question About PDD-NOS (By me)

9) (BAP) Broad Autism Phenotype (Citations)

10) Broader Autism Phenotype (Citations)

11) Arguments To Make Diagnostic Criteria For ASD More Broad (By me)

12) Does Broader Autism Phenotype Fall Under PDD-NOS? (Citations)

13) The Broader Amish Autism Phenotype Vs. The Autistic Matrix (Citations)

14) Does Broader Autism Phenotype Fall Under PDD-NOS? (Citations)