I have been diagnosed with Level 1 autism, but...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kkyndall2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2022, 2:23 am

Hi. I am an 18 year old female (just turned a few days ago), and I was diagnosed with Level 1 ASD, but I have noticed I can read social cues pretty well. I understand body language, and am even sometimes fascinated by it. Is this possible? Am I a rare case?

I should mention, I do fit the criteria in other ways such as experiencing anxiety when my routine is changed, having sensory issues (albeit mild and very manageable), and possibly having "special interests".

I was always considered odd and weird growing up. I was the quiet kid. My social life was alright as a young kid, but it got difficult in my early to late teens, and it still is. I often mimic or copy others in order to fit in. It doesn't feel genuine and is very lonely. I dislike socializing and feel better engaging in an interest or spending time alone. People feel too difficult so I stay away. That's the extent of my social issues. Also, the only body language difference I have or have had would be laughing or smiling at strange times and being uncomfortable with eye contact to the point where I can feel it physically.

Any insight is lovely. Thank you. :heart:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:47 am

Sure. "If you meet one autistic, you meet one autistic."

Not all autistics have dyssemia.

And dyssemia is not one of the diagnostic criteria for autism.
Same can be said with social anxiety, alexithymia, dyspraxia, etc...
Even needing routines, it's not necessarily the same as needing predictability or repetition -- routines is just a very common and long term means for it.

And dyssemia is not an exclusive trait of autism.
Non-autistic NLVD, some of those with ADD does for example...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 2:53 am

kkyndall2 wrote:
Hi. I am an 18 year old female (just turned a few days ago), and I was diagnosed with Level 1 ASD, but I have noticed I can read social cues pretty well. I understand body language, and am even sometimes fascinated by it. Is this possible? Am I a rare case?

I should mention, I do fit the criteria in other ways such as experiencing anxiety when my routine is changed, having sensory issues (albeit mild and very manageable), and possibly having "special interests".

I was always considered odd and weird growing up. I was the quiet kid. My social life was alright as a young kid, but it got difficult in my early to late teens, and it still is. I often mimic or copy others in order to fit in. It doesn't feel genuine and is very lonely. I dislike socializing and feel better engaging in an interest or spending time alone. People feel too difficult so I stay away. That's the extent of my social issues. Also, the only body language difference I have or have had would be laughing or smiling at strange times and being uncomfortable with eye contact to the point where I can feel it physically.

Any insight is lovely. Thank you. :heart:

I'm 53 and I was diagnosed last year. You sound very similar to the way I was growing up. I was always 'that quirky girl'. People thought I was weird but I did have friends and people liked me.

I was quite good at reading social cues but that was because I was at school/college/university and got lots of practice. Also my parents were very sociable and we had constant parties, holidays, events so I got lots of social experience. Studying body language is very, very helpful.

Since I was about 35 though, my life has been very quiet and so I've lost the social skills I once had. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I mean you are not alone. I hope you get more support than I did, which was basically zero, even after diagnosis. I've just been muddling along.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 5:57 am

If you consider Aspergers as a neurological variant, you might expect variations in the different categories that constitute the diagnosis. You may not wish to place too much credence in what the "experts" declare. Your own observation have much more value.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 10:46 am

I agree with:

Edna3362 wrote:
If you meet one autistic, you meet one autistic.

Off Topic
Welcome to WP!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

One doesn't have to meet ALL the diagnostic criteria in order to be considered autistic.

Saying this: Welcome to WP.

PS: Don't let the fact that you're autistic define you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 1:49 pm

Welcome aboard WP!

you're ony level one. So it's to be expected that you would have alot of NT traits.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

03 Aug 2022, 2:22 pm

Welcome Aboard,

As we age things change. You have an advantage. You know who you are and should be able to adapt. I hope you have a wonderful life. Whenever you hit a bump in the road, take it in stride. That is just the world we live in.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2022, 7:50 pm

There's also the possibility that you may only think that you're correctly reading a social cue -- some of the time, that is.

I'm sure there've been times when I just took for granted a nonverbal cue, assuming it meant a certain thing, when in fact, I got it wrong -- but was never notified of this. This phenomenon could be one of the reasons people in general don't "take" to me and vice versa.

Autism isn't just missing social cues/not seeing or perceiving them, but it's also perceiving them BUT either being aware of not being able to read them, or, reading them and thinking nothing of it, when from the NT's point of view, the autist mis-read.

By the way, I'm interested in how eye contact "feels" physically to you. This fascinates me, since eyes don't actually touch, like a with a handshake, it could be yucky if the other person's hand is sweaty. If you avert eye contact too much, this will give power to the other person, or at least, they'll THINK that; and will view you as submissive, skittish, easily bullied. We don't want that. Practicing eye contact helps. It's not always necessary, but there ARE situations where avoiding it could really work againt you, especially if you're around controlling-type of people or bullies.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm

Elgee wrote:
By the way, I'm interested in how eye contact "feels" physically to you.
Because I was thinking about that when I was going through my Adult Autism Assessment I tried eye contact with the attractive young female psychologist that assessed me.

I quickly broke off eye contact. It felt too intimate. The thought going through my mind was something along the lines of "I can't do this...I'm a married man!!"