Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:11 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Not so. For example, here in NYC, our Democratic mayor, Eric Adams, is a black former cop and very much a law-and-order person.
Meh. I'd much rather see a Rudy Giuliani 2.0 running the city. DiBlasio let looters run free, while trapping law-abiding citizens in their homes and turning away a hospital ship sent by Trump. Maybe Adams is better than that, but I don't know.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm

Giuliani was okay back in the 90s.

Now, he’s just a semi-senile Trump acolyte.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Giuliani was okay back in the 90s.

Now, he’s just a semi-senile Trump acolyte.

You beat me to that assessment!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 1:24 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I suspect that the attitudes you are referring to are probably a regional thing. According my boyfriend who has lived in a variety of places around the U.S.A., there tends to be both a lot more preachiness and a lot more hypocrisy among liberals on the West Coast than among liberals here in NYC.

I think it's more like they have greater political power on the West Coast, I don't find the Eastern variants any less insufferable, or even their foreign cousins for that matter, they're all pretty much the same online, attitude wise.

I will say that Seattle in particular has had a certain concentration effect in the last few decades, between the culture and the tech industry it's seen as a liberal Mecca, so leftists from all over the country have moved their and pushed it ever farther left in a self reinforcing spiral, and I suspect it's been the same for other Western cities. Washington used to be liberal in a blue collar, middle class sort of way, tolerant but not crazy, but that really started to change in the mid 00s and really picked up steam after about 2012 or so, it's definitely not the state I grew up in anymore.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 7:53 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.Like people like me can only get a job working at a place lke McD's and whats gonna happen when McJobs go away.

But you've also said that your are libertarian. How would it be possible to address the above concerns in a libertarian framework?

In order to address the above concerns at all, it seems to me that there would need to be both (1) plenty of laws and regulations governing AI and how it is used and (2) some government-sponsored social programs to pay for education to update people's skills. (No, please don't expect us all to rely on your church for this.)

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 20 Aug 2022, 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 8:07 am

MaxE wrote:
When I was young, I was "discriminated against" but it seemed as though it was because of who I was rather than my being a member of some group. So I had trouble sympathizing with people who were bullied because they were, for example, black, because at least there were other black people they could identify with. As a consequence I had much more conservative views than I do now. It took me decades to get the full picture.

Thanks for sharing this. I wonder to what extent this accounts for conservativism among many other autistic people.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 12:45 pm

Quinntilda wrote:
Do people with Autism and aAspergers think the same way politically?

No. However it might be interesting to think how those on the spectrum might approach politics. For example our tendency to take things literally might make us more vulnerable for the hyperbolic statements employed by politicians from across the political spectrum. Including statements about their political opponents. At least it might be more then the general population.

Now our tendency for special interests might lead us to learn and know a lot about the political ideologies we might support or are interested in.

Then allegedly we are more prone to have polarised thinking patterns. Which might us more likely to be political activists and also more likely to be more extreme in our political convictions.

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.

I think the Amish and other groups living in a low-tech way will probably manage somehow.

While the rest of us might suffer, because of the short-term advantages brought about these technological innovations for both commercial companies and states.

Also we should not forget the various interest groups and experts who openly show interest in the possibility of using AI for controlling dissent. Even if they will use other terms for it, the result will be the same. An AI-controlled version of Big Brother.

Now reversing this trend might require a widespread discrediting of The Theory of Progress, which also lead to the idea that new technologies are always better for us in the long run.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 3:33 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.Like people like me can only get a job working at a place lke McD's and whats gonna happen when McJobs go away.

But you've also said that your are libertarian. How would it be possible to address the above concerns in a libertarian framework?

In order to address the above concerns at all, it seems to me that there would need to be both (1) plenty of laws and regulations governing AI and how it is used and (2) some government-sponsored social programs to pay for education to update people's skills. (No, please don't expect us all to rely on your church for this.)

I think all social safety nets like welfare should be abolished and defunded and I think all the poor should be supported by charity like churches if the churches and other private non-profits and private citizens choose to.I know thats not the answer you were looking for but thats how i feel.More people would be motivated to give to the poor if there was no such thing as welfare in America.I think that all education should be privately funded by the way.The only way I can think to balance it is make secular intentional communities more popular for people who wont be able to find work in the broader capitalist US.I would also increase tax breaks for charitable giving,non-profits and private foundations.I dont think there is any government way to eradicate poverty in the US.And by the way many in my church would not support yall in terms of charity but I bet other kinds of churches would but the church I start would not.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I think it's more like they have greater political power on the West Coast, I don't find the Eastern variants any less insufferable, or even their foreign cousins for that matter, they're all pretty much the same online, attitude wise.

Exactly what "attitudes" are you complaining about? Just a vehement opposition to differing viewpoints, or something else?

Dox47 wrote:
I will say that Seattle in particular has had a certain concentration effect in the last few decades, between the culture and the tech industry it's seen as a liberal Mecca, so leftists from all over the country have moved their and pushed it ever farther left in a self reinforcing spiral, and I suspect it's been the same for other Western cities.

I would suspect that a lot of these migrants are not just "leftists" but people who have actually been harmed by right wing culture, e.g. LGBTQ+ people who grew up in the Bible Belt. (I used to know a fair number of such migrants here in NYC; I suspect that they are even more likely to gravitate to West Coast cities.)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:06 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Quinntilda wrote:
Do people with Autism and aAspergers think the same way politically?

No. However it might be interesting to think how those on the spectrum might approach politics. For example our tendency to take things literally might make us more vulnerable for the hyperbolic statements employed by politicians from across the political spectrum. Including statements about their political opponents. At least it might be more then the general population.

Now our tendency for special interests might lead us to learn and know a lot about the political ideologies we might support or are interested in.

Then allegedly we are more prone to have polarised thinking patterns. Which might us more likely to be political activists and also more likely to be more extreme in our political convictions.

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think that tech and human economics needs to be balanced someway too because I am very afraid of the effect automation and AI and outsourcing and robots will have when we have maybe somewhere around 40 to 50 percent of jobs gone for good.

I think the Amish and other groups living in a low-tech way will probably manage somehow.

While the rest of us might suffer, because of the short-term advantages brought about these technological innovations for both commercial companies and states.

Also we should not forget the various interest groups and experts who openly show interest in the possibility of using AI for controlling dissent. Even if they will use other terms for it, the result will be the same. An AI-controlled version of Big Brother.

Now reversing this trend might require a widespread discrediting of The Theory of Progress, which also lead to the idea that new technologies are always better for us in the long run.

Ya I agree about the Amish.Also I agree because Amish business has a competitive advantage over non-Amish competitors due to the Amish dont have to pay certain taxes that the rest of the population like non-Amish business has to. I dont know how much it will be once AI takes over.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:10 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think all social safety nets like welfare should be abolished and defunded and I think all the poor should be supported by charity like churches if the churches and other private non-profits and private citizens choose to.I know thats not the answer you were looking for but thats how i feel.

If it was viable it probably would have worked, social welfare was established in response to those failures.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:13 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I think all social safety nets like welfare should be abolished and defunded and I think all the poor should be supported by charity like churches if the churches and other private non-profits and private citizens choose to.I know thats not the answer you were looking for but thats how i feel.More people would be motivated to give to the poor if there was no such thing as welfare in America.I think that all education should be privately funded by the way.The only way I can think to balance it is make secular intentional communities more popular for people who wont be able to find work in the broader capitalist US.I would also increase tax breaks for charitable giving,non-profits and private foundations.I dont think there is any government way to eradicate poverty in the US.And by the way many in my church would not support yall in terms of charity but I bet other kinds of churches would but the church I start would not.

There are too many churches like yours that take everything in scripture "literally," when it comes to pointing a judgmental finger at everyone else, but not when it comes to caring for those in need.
Let me guess, you attend some sort of born again, evangelical "church."

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

There are too many churches like yours that take everything in scripture "literally," when it comes to pointing a judgmental finger at everyone else, but not when it comes to caring for those in need.

The old-school churches of Christ only support fellow church of Christ people because the early church after Acts only supported fellow Christians.I am a born-again church of Christ member

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:48 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

The old-school churches of Christ only support fellow church of Christ people because the early church after Acts only supported fellow Christians.I am a born-again church of Christ member

Well, I'm pretty sure charity is meant for more than just members of your brand of Christianity. To say otherwise is taking things way too literally.
I'm a Lutheran, and the only "born again experience" I ever needed was when I got baptized as a baby, though we generally don't use that term as it's been so much abused and misunderstood in light of "decision theology."

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 11:38 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Ya I agree about the Amish.Also I agree because Amish business has a competitive advantage over non-Amish competitors due to the Amish dont have to pay certain taxes that the rest of the population like non-Amish business has to. I dont know how much it will be once AI takes over.

It seems more that that they can claim certain exemptions. But yeah, now taking the tax-angle in too account things become a bit more bleak for the possibility of carving out an existence outside an AI-run economy+society.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 12:05 am

Sigbold wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

It seems more that that they can claim certain exemptions. But yeah, now taking the tax-angle in too account things become a bit more bleak for the possibility of carving out an existence outside an AI-run economy+society.

I was talking about being exempt from FICA tax and stuff like that because of their religious beliefs.I also have similar beliefs on that matter but I still have to pay the tax.There are amish contractors that can their competiors out of business because they can underbid 10-20 percent due to the exemptions.I think every one who has that religious belief Amish or not should be exempt too if the Amish get the exemption.Also some of the Amish could possibly claim their houses as parsonages and not pay property taxes on their dwelling if they wanted.Also Amish pay less in sales taxes because society is way more consumerist than they are.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 21 Aug 2022, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.