10yrs. 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
20yrs 61%  61%  [ 22 ]
100yrs. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:16 pm

I'm 47 but I mentally feel 21. The age that many young men and women join the Army. I also feel like a British Mod when I drink things that don't agree with me like coffee and alcohol.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:18 pm

Until recently I used to see myself in dreams still being the age I was graduating high school and starting college.

Now I've stopped having dreams and feel old, but having wasted my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:20 pm

I'm pretty "up there."

I "feel" much younger, but actually look about 10 years younger.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:20 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm 47 but I mentally feel 21. The age that many young men and women join the Army. I also feel like a British Mod when I drink things that don't agree with me like coffee and alcohol.

If you was an original Mod you'd be pushing 60 now or even maybe older.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:23 pm

babybird wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I would. I'm glad I'm in my 40s. I know all about the Mods and the Rockers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:27 pm

LOL...more like in one's 70s. 1965 Mods would have, at minimum, been born in 1950; that would make them 71 or 72 years old.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:02 pm

I feel about 40 years younger but that's not a poll option.

My ASD diagnostician said my social-emotional development stopped around age 13.

I've always felt that and I hadn't even said it to her.

fluffyfern
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2022, 3:04 pm

I think about this alot actually. I feel about 10-15 years younger sometimes and often get along better with people in their early 20's. I still have the maturity of someone my age I think (I'm 36) but my sense of humor, enthusiasm for my special interests, and the progress I've made in life (or lack there of) make me feel much younger. I think I'm definitely a late bloomer compared to my friends. I've never been married or had a serious relationship, no kids, I'm still in school working toward a career, and I don't own a car or a home.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
babybird wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I would. I'm glad I'm in my 40s. I know all about the Mods and the Rockers.

How about Teddy Boys?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:09 pm

As far as I know, the Teddy Boys were more "militant" types of "rockers."

They were usually young toughs who wore a certain uniform (I forgot what sort), and looked vaguely like Elvis.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2022, 3:26 pm

Sigi wrote:
It's odd because as a kid, adults always thought I was 'mature for my age' but I felt like a baby compared to everyone else, not in a good way.

Feel the same as an adult near 30 now. I struggle with adult things, like insurance renewals or saying the right thing at work. Only got my drivers licence last year.

I feel stuck at about 15, but I talk mostly with older people.

I never got my license so congrats to you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
As far as I know, the Teddy Boys were more "militant" types of "rockers."

They were usually young toughs who wore a certain uniform (I forgot what sort), and looked vaguely like Elvis.

Edwardian fashion, that's where 'Ted' comes from. Zoot suits seem to show up a lot. The term was coined in '53 so the fashion must have been around for at least awhile prior to that.

I think it'd be more fair to refer to Teds as the precursor to rockers, although it's probably made more complicated by the fact that revivals of each subculture kinda meant the stereotype would shift slightly.

Likewise, the history of greasers in America is hard to trace because they didn't call themselves that in the '50s, greaser was an ethnic slur primarily and it just so happened that the look was common among youth who might have that slur directed towards them. Revivals of that subculture have shifted it's associations somewhat.

Ultimately the fashion subcultures both have roots in the local motorcycle culture, so there's a degree of overlap until the fashion becomes a thing all of it's own.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:38 pm

I'm wondering if there's a difference between feeling younger than your age and living in the past

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm

I believe there is a clear distinction.

One could "feel young" at the age of 60 while indulging in the latest aspects of pop culture. That person certainly wouldn't be "living in the past."

There's a certain part of me that "lives in the past."

Forget about being a teenager----that's for the birds!

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 3:55 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm wondering if there's a difference between feeling younger than your age and living in the past

I don't think I live in my past.
I still like the same music, but otherwise I carry a ton of adult responsibilities and I always have.

I don't even think I'd want to go back to that age. Being a young teen was hell.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 4:02 pm

babybird wrote:

Younger than your age would allow for evolution since it's just your character remaining youthful, you might still be as curious and prone to exploring as someone at that age for real so the new experiences will gradually change you.

Living in the past would not, even if it accepts not being that age.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う