One ailment after another

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 5:15 pm

I'm abroad at the moment so I can't "just see a doctor", but since last week I've not been myself and it has ruined my holiday so far. I've tried to ignore it and enjoy myself and I've bought a load of different medical things to help get rid of it but it still keeps on, and turning into other symptoms and making me feel like I'm under chemotherapy or something.

Last week my symptoms of whatever it is I have began with flu-like symptoms but no stuffed nose and I tested negative for covid. I thought I had strep throat at first but it turns out it was a canker sore in my throat. Along with a couple of canker sores in other parts of my mouth I also have very sore gums that flare up whenever I eat, whatever I eat. The canker sores seem to be healing at last but I'm still getting a sore, burning sensation on the palette and around my teeth when I eat, and it's too painful to eat so all I've done is drink instead.
But I keep feeling weak and dizzy because I'm lacking certain nutrients from food, also my stomach keeps feeling hungry and empty, causing acid reflux. But I just can't eat a thing. :(
Along with that I keep doing little coughs, but not the same sort you do when you're ill. I just get a funny little tickling sensation in my lungs but not caused by phlegm and it's not an uncontrolled "hacking cough". It feels more like a dusty sort of feeling like you get with hay fever but I'm not sneezing or sniffing like I usually do with hay fever.
And lastly my armpits have a foul smell of unwashed sweat even after I've showered and used some herbal body wash to kill bacteria and stop it returning. It's making me feel self-conscious there.

What is wrong with me? Will I make it home? I don't want to get on the plane on an empty stomach but I have no choice, as my mouth just won't let me eat, even soft food you don't need to chew. What if all this means I'm dying? And why did I have to get ill like this while away on my holidays that we paid a lot for? It's a lovely place and a lovely holiday by the way but I just wish I felt a bit better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 5:47 pm

I’m sorry you’re going through all this.

I wish I could offer a solution.

When I have sores in my mouth, I just seek to leave them alone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:16 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:42 am

Times call for a hearty goulash. :wink:

Yum.

Spices are a natural antiseptic and antiinflammatory BTW.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:55 am

Drink the shakes that old folks that won’t eat much drink.They don’t taste bad and have nutrients in them and protein.The brand I’m thinking of here is Ensure.Not sure what it would go by there.
https://ensure.com/nutrition-products?g ... lsrc=aw.ds

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2022, 2:15 am

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry you're going through that, Joe. It definitely sounds like you've caught something nasty. Try to rest and drink some of those Ensure type shakes (just don't get the vegan ones. Trust me.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 5:37 am

Thank you for taking the time to read that, I know listening to someone's else's aches and pains is boring but I just feel disappointed because it's really ruining my holiday. All I really want to do is lay and sleep.

I bought some of those milkshakes to help keep my stomach full. I shall have one before we set out to the airport, so that I don't feel unwell from hunger on the plane. I still don't know if I have an abscess or gingivitis or canker sores. Sounds like all 3, and I've never had any before in my life. Then as soon as I book a wonderful holiday like this I get 3 things at once that I've never had before. It's just typical.

I probably won't be able to see a dentist or doctor until Monday or Tuesday, if it is an abscess will another few days make it spread and kill me or does it take weeks of an untreated abscess to kill you?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 6:21 am

Body tends to compartmentalize an abscess, so it just stays as a bubble. Inside it's generally neutralized by your immune cells, which is what most of the fluid is made up of. So depends on where but generally people or animals can just live ignoring it, though it's probably best to drain it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 8:09 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Body tends to compartmentalize an abscess, so it just stays as a bubble. Inside it's generally neutralized by your immune cells, which is what most of the fluid is made up of. So depends on where but generally people or animals can just live ignoring it, though it's probably best to drain it.

So will I be OK for 3 more days? I've sent a message to my local dentist practice explaining the problem so that hopefully I can be seen on Sunday, which is 3 days from today.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 9:00 am

Joe90 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

So will I be OK for 3 more days? I've sent a message to my local dentist practice explaining the problem so that hopefully I can be seen on Sunday, which is 3 days from today.

You will most certainly be fine. Where did you get the abscess idea from anyway?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 9:12 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

You will most certainly be fine. Where did you get the abscess idea from anyway?

I seem to have the symptoms. It's right at the back where my wisdom tooth is. It sounds like pericoronitis, which I read can be life-threatening if left untreated even after a couple of weeks, so that's what I'm worrying about.
It says it could spread to the neck and the brain, causing death. I'm so worried, as other parts of my mouth is sore too which only flares up when I eat.

I just feel guilty for my boyfriend because I'm not much company and I feel miserable. If I had my way I'd just lay in the hotel room until it's time to go. I just want to be asleep.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:01 am

Wisdom teeth can be terrible to deal with.If they begin to cause problems get rid off them.
I had one crack and the pain was awful, had to wait days before I could get to dentist.
Another one damaged the roots to the tooth next to it ,so I had to get both pulled.It damaged the nerve that runs along my left jaw and I have partial numbness there.
Another one hurt so it came out.
One left.It’s never tried to drop but I expect trouble when it does.
Dentists told me to get them removed in my twenties, wish I had.
My son did, it only took an hour and he will never have to worry about them.
Good luck and if you do have a removal a wet tea bag helps to stop bleeding in the socket.Feels better than a wad of cotton also.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:30 am

Is it safe to wait another 3 days before seeing a dentist? I've only had the symptoms about a week I think but I didn't know what it was before I went away (a week ago). It began with flu-like symptoms like headache, fever, sore throat and body aches, and I thought it was covid but when I tested negative twice I just thought it was a virus that will just go if I got plenty of rest before my trip. The mouth soreness came the day before we were due to fly out and I did phone a dentist but there was no reply, so I hoped that whatever it was would just go on its own in time if I used bonjela and other remedies to treat mouth sores. Being so I've never really suffered with my teeth, I never thought that it was going to turn out to be this bad.

So according to the information I've just given in this post, do you think I can survive 3 more days without it spreading dangerously further?

Every symptom I have is:-
Swollen on one side of jaw but doesn't really hurt when I touch it
Soreness at the back of my mouth where lower wisdom tooth is (throbbing and swollen sensation)
Painful to swallow (pain in the sore area)
Gums and palette become temporarily sore whenever I try to eat
Ulcers that keep coming and going on tongue
Uncomfortable ear
Sweating while asleep (waking up clammy)
Tickly feeling in bottom teeth

Symptoms I DON'T seem to have:-
Pus coming out the infected area (no bad taste or smell)
Fever (I did last week but not now)
Toothache
Painful jaw

I know you're not medically trained but I've been googling and googling and still can't quite decipher what exactly it is that is wrong, so I thought that if I just wrote every symptom I have down someone here who has some knowledge on this sort of thing or have experienced it before might be able to reassure me.

Last edited by Joe90 on 15 Sep 2022, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:45 am

If you don’t have a fever you should be fine.I’d gargle often with warm salt water or peroxide, take topical pain relief and aspirin.Try and manage the discomfort till you can get to a dentist.
Goldenseal herb fights infection but not sure where you could find it on vacation.
Pharmacies and stores usually have it in the supplement section.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 1:14 pm

I've probably spent more money on mouth remedies from the pharmacy here than on anything else.
I just wish I felt well and I hope I don't get any worse before Sunday. All I want to do is to go out for a lovely meal with my boyfriend in one of these fancy restaurants tonight. :cry: I feel so bad for him. He understands and everything but that's not the point, I know he's secretly disappointed - and so am I. :cry:

What a boring, disappointing girlfriend I am. :cry:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

You can’t help being sick, it’s definitely sad it happened on a long planned vacation.
You can always order a soup for a meal at a nice restaurant and a soft dessert like ice cream or gelato.
Go large on the fancy dessert and the no Alcohol drinks .Cool stuff will make your mouth feel better.