5ft10 in the dating world a disadvantage?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2022, 6:30 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I think it's worth noting that being too tall can also potentially be a disadvantage. Personally, I have a friend who is six foot seven and in the past, women that he's been interested in have told him that they find his height intimidating. Which is a shame because he's not a scary guy.

However, as others have mentioned, five foot ten is around the average US height (estimates suggest around five foot nine or ten in the UK for men, five foot three or four in the UK for women).

I have another friend who is five foot ten and he's previously asked me not to wear heels when around him so I don't look the same height or taller. However, I rarely wear heels anyway, they're a nightmare to walk in and difficult to find in my size. Plus, I lack the balance required. Since I'm five foot eight, when I wear shoes with a wedge or a heel, I look around five foot ten. I knew a woman who is six foot three, my friend would've had a tricky time dealing with her height. My friend group likes to call a woman who is five foot four short, when that's technically around average for a woman. Her girlfriend is five foot nine and likes to tease her. So it's really about perspective.

Interestingly, I knew a guy who was shorter than me but my goodness everyone fought over him. Whenever conversations about the height of guys occur in love and dating, my brain always goes to the line "I just met this five foot seven guy who's just my type" from the song American Boy.

Another reason being too tall could be a hindrance: Logistically, kissing becomes harder when there's a massive height difference. Even sex becomes harder (in a bad way :lol: )

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 10:18 am

SkinnyElephant wrote:
GadgetGuru wrote:
The main issue, as I see it, is that shorter guys may be able to overcome this inherent disadvantage when meeting someone in person, if they have other compensatory traits. But the fact that much of modern dating is initiated online leads to disastrous results.
If a woman is able to set a desired height range of potential partners in a dating app or site, and never even sees profiles of shorter guys that don't lie about their height, then there's zero chance that that guy can have the slightest chance to present their (possibly) many other positive aspects.
This seems like a catastrophically discouraging barrier, one that is essentially impossible to overcome when attempting to match online.

Darron

Isn't there a flipside though?
One way to view it: The height preferences on dating sites end up weeding out those you had little to no chance with in the first place. As a result, you're able to focus on those you have a better chance with.

Yes, that's a healthy, positive way to view this issue.

It seems certain to me that when meeting a potential partner the "old fashioned way" (in real life), that there are many instances of men of less than imposing stature being able to overcome this by being otherwise compelling, in the variety of ways that this is possible.

It's a damn shame that some otherwise highly desirable men will be rejected/ignored/filtered out by those who look at an honest height figure on a dating site/app as just "too short", and will never delve deeper.

Darron