Finding similarities and seeing people as allies

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 7:41 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The only similarity with me and 99% of the world's population is that we're human and we breathe oxygen.

That counts for autistic people as well.

I bet it's not :P For example, you and I both have children. There is a similarity.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 7:50 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
I think this is good advice. Personally my go-to methods are:

a) point out something in the nearby surrounding area as a conversation starter, especially if it has comedic potential.

b) find a common interest and discuss.

or c) asking what someone finds interesting about their interest when you don't share it can be enlightening (not always though). You don't want to come across as rude, usually I phrase it along the lines of "Oh, I don't actually know much about (subject). How did you get into it?"

There's also a lot of potential if they want to learn a skill you are good at, especially if you in turn also want to learn how to improve a skill in an area which they are talented. If you already know each other fairly well, you might be able to help each other out. Which can be quite exciting; mentoring each other in different areas.

For a while I used to view others as competition who I had to prove my worth to in order to be valid. It's not a good mindset.

There's a significant amount of people out there who won't judge you for not being amazing and actually jump at the chance to share advice because it gives them the opportunity to talk about and share their interest with someone.

Unfortunately, not everyone is so kind. It is a great shame when I see new artists who share their work and get roasted. People who gatekeep interests are so bizarre and annoying. 'Oh you like X? Name five of their songs' 'You like playing X game? I bet you're not even good' 'Only true fans like X, Y and Z' :roll:

You have great ideas. I've read that before to do a) I must try that.

b) is similar to my idea but I find it harder as my interests are usually too bizarre :lol:

c) is a good idea too.

It's a shame I don't have any skills people want to learn...My only skill is good spelling and I can't teach that.

Viewing everyone else as competition is a 21st century thing, brought about by the current world attitude of monetising everything, only being valued if you earn a lot of money, meritocracy etc. There is more to being a person than having a monetary value.

I find that more people like me when I'm not good at something, than when I am good at something i.e. if I'm successful, people want to tear me down. The Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Yes... the gatekeepers are mega annoying. I like motorsport but apparently I'm not a true fan because I'm a) female and b) don't know everything about how engines work. :roll:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 12:35 pm

In some situations your post makes sense

In some situations, someone else really is your competitor (or enemy or frenemy)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 2:25 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
In some situations your post makes sense

In some situations, someone else really is your competitor (or enemy or frenemy)

Well, obviously. You have to try my suggestions for people you want to be friends with. If they turn out to be someone you don't want to be friends with, move away swiftly.