Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

oklol123
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Oct 2022, 10:06 am

i just found out that neurotypical people see us as part of uncanny valley and this honestly makes me so sad because no matter how hard i try to mask, they can still subconsciously sense that something is off. no wonder it's so easy for them to dehumanize us. :/

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2022, 10:15 am

I don't even experience uncanny valley

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 6:15 pm

like momo..? my husband loves showing me that and it make me scream every time

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 6:47 pm

Yes I think there could be something in that. They start by thinking we're normal humans, so they drop their defenses, then they see something not quite right, and they feel threatened and freak out.

George Melly said that dadaist stunts (designed to weird people out) worked better if the artist wore a suit instead of dressing bohemian, because mainstream people implicitly trust men in suits, for some strange reason. Wouldn't work on me because I've always got my guard up when approached by a man in a suit.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 7:29 pm

That is true and they can make that observation in less than 30 seconds. They make that determination with eye contact. I do not look people directly eye to eye. I look to one side and NT can spot that trait in 30 seconds.

I began wearing a special type of one-way sunglasses. This prevented NTs from looking directly into my eyes. I was very surprised when strangers would come up to me and begin conversations. It was astonishing. It is almost a little like being an NT whenever I wanted to.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 8:33 pm

I must not be uncanny valley to a lot of people because they just talk to me even though I don't even know them. And then I feel like *they're* uncanny valley.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2022, 2:26 am

I'm over it. The title of this website kind of relates to that idea. From our autistic point of view, we feel as if we were different beings and we didn't belong here. From the non-autistic point of view, we are like some humanoid beings and we make them somewhat uneasy. It's kind of sad but I hate people so much that I'd rather be a humanoid alien or whatever.