when people call you immature when your not doing anything

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 10:08 am

when your not doing anything immature

so yesterday i was at work driving the bus and a awkward passenger got on with her grown up kid and demanded a child fare for her kid
the child fare is for 14 and under and i am usually fair with this but this lad looked 20 or over and had no proof of age and i know i can get into trouble if i let adults pay child fare so i calmly explained why she had to pay adult fare for her son too she got angry
she paid the right fare in the end but then as they were sitting down she yelled that i was immature and that i should act my age,etc

im know people get frustrated but i mean how was i being immature/childish if i was just doing my job and behaving professionaly about it

why do some people like calling you immature just because they didnt get what they want? werent SHE the one being immature for showing herself up because she didnt get what she wanted? :?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 2:30 pm

I spent 9 years working trains and it is a real eye opener. Saw the best in people. Saw the worst in people as well. Nothing surprized me! Learned something. Before that (And after that) worked in retail and part of that was security, and found that the ones "Thought" to be dodgy in retail were mostly innocent, as it was when I had to get them to pay while on te train, it wasn't the down and outs or scruffy that were the problem (And if it was it was a real genuine need). It was the ones in the latest fashion with brand ew clothes and every hair inplace or in business suits that were the ones who continually tried to fare dodge and cause the trouble! I nevef would have thought that, but after just short of 9 years of the job, this pattern continued right throughout working. I had a new respect for the scruffier folk after that! They were genuine.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

Caz72 wrote:
when your not doing anything immature

so yesterday i was at work driving the bus and a awkward passenger got on with her grown up kid and demanded a child fare for her kid
the child fare is for 14 and under and i am usually fair with this but this lad looked 20 or over and had no proof of age and i know i can get into trouble if i let adults pay child fare so i calmly explained why she had to pay adult fare for her son too she got angry
she paid the right fare in the end but then as they were sitting down she yelled that i was immature and that i should act my age,etc

im know people get frustrated but i mean how was i being immature/childish if i was just doing my job and behaving professionaly about it

why do some people like calling you immature just because they didnt get what they want? werent SHE the one being immature for showing herself up because she didnt get what she wanted? :?
Exactly. She's the immature one. She just wanted to throw any insulting remark at you because she didn't get what she wanted. "Immature" sounds like a completely irrelevant word to use in that situation. That's pretty childish.

I use a bus service every day. Somehow some trashy passengers often get away with not paying the fare. I don't know how they do it. They often slow down the bus because they try to negotiate with the driver. The driver always lets them on. Our transport system (both trains and buses) is pretty rotten. It punishes honest passengers who try to do the right thing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 3:21 am

She was in the wrong, you were in the right. I tend to agree that she was the one being immature.

As for her thoughts and perceptions on the issue, maaaybe what she meant was that you were sticking to rules like a child vs. allowing them to be broken like an adult that doesn't care about rules ? Maybe that's what she perceived as being immature ?

In the end, though, don't let it bug ya. She was wrong, her kid wasn't a child, and you were right to enforce paying adult fare for an adult - it's your job. (Although here many/most bus drivers don't even enforce collecting fares at all. They say their job is to drive the bus, not enforce fare collection, and refuse to jeopardize their own safety requiring people to pay. Only transit security or transit police will stand their ground and enforce payment for sure.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 11:17 am

That woman is the one who was being immature. You did the right thing.