Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2022, 3:10 pm

I struggled with my weight my whole life. I’ve been one hundred pounds over weight and lose then gained forty pounds almost every year.

It turned into an obsession with other peoples weight especially celebrities, only female. It turns me on so much to see candids of celebrities like Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, or Tiffani Thiessen a few pounds heavier.

It’s basically a special interest, collecting pictures and videos, dvds and articles about the celebrities. Have a list that I update all the time with over fifty celebrities with their rumored height and weight, and I list my favorite scenes or images of them.

Obviously I love doing it but also realize how time consuming it is(I really need to get a job and not stay home so much).

Can anyone relate to anything similar and or know the best way I can get over this?

I think because I have so much trouble controlling my own weight is the reason I’m so attracted to seeing it happen to others but since my therapist is a woman I feel like a pervert to bring it up to her.

Quote:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:01 am

My weight obsession is applied to things I build. There is no good reason for a land vehicle to weigh more than it carries.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:15 am

Can't relate with the obsession part, but can relate with having trouble maintaining my weight at healthy level. I'm there now, but even at healthy level, my weight keeps jumping between barely short of being overweight and actually being healthy weight. One of the main reasons I managed to lose some weight was losing the chance to eat snacks during the day; can't exactly do that at work (well, some people can, but my job isn't the kind where that's allowed.) If you're the type to eat lots of unhealthy snacks too, then it's possible that once you get a job, you will no longer consume too much in comparison to how much energy you spend and will lose some weight without noticing. :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:50 am

To lose weight, never lose those last two pounds of water you don't need in an emergency. Stay well hydrated and you will have more energy to burn fat, and the water needed to process it. Also, it is far easier to control your diet at the store than the cupboard. Sugar-free soda makes you hungry, and all fast food is designed to be addictive with sugar, salt, and fat.

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 9:39 am

Dear_one wrote:
To lose weight, never lose those last two pounds of water you don't need in an emergency. Stay well hydrated and you will have more energy to burn fat, and the water needed to process it. Also, it is far easier to control your diet at the store than the cupboard. Sugar-free soda makes you hungry, and all fast food is designed to be addictive with sugar, salt, and fat.

I know how to lose weight. I want help with the obsession part lol. But thanks for commenting.

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 9:42 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Can't relate with the obsession part, but can relate with having trouble maintaining my weight at healthy level. I'm there now, but even at healthy level, my weight keeps jumping between barely short of being overweight and actually being healthy weight. One of the main reasons I managed to lose some weight was losing the chance to eat snacks during the day; can't exactly do that at work (well, some people can, but my job isn't the kind where that's allowed.) If you're the type to eat lots of unhealthy snacks too, then it's possible that once you get a job, you will no longer consume too much in comparison to how much energy you spend and will lose some weight without noticing. :)

I most likely I’ll eat a lot more because I’ll be miserable (there’s no way I’ll get a good job) I wish I could break the obsession especially staring at people that just recently gained weight.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2022, 11:26 am

You don't necessarily need a job, but another activity you can replace this special interest with. But it may not be that easy to achieve that.

I only cared about my weight for health reasons. Even made diet become part of my routine, sort of. I buy the same type of foods every week anyway, so once I successfully "programmed" my mind into diet mode, it wasn't that hard to keep it going. As stopping the diet would have required me to change my habit again.

Then a stressful life event happened which broke all my routines. Few years later I'm at the same weight as before the start of the diet (= slightly overweight). And I don't really care anymore.

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm

Silence23 wrote:
You don't necessarily need a job, but another activity you can replace this special interest with. But it may not be that easy to achieve that.

I only cared about my weight for health reasons. Even made diet become part of my routine, sort of. I buy the same type of foods every week anyway, so once I successfully "programmed" my mind into diet mode, it wasn't that hard to keep it going. As stopping the diet would have required me to change my habit again.

Then a stressful life event happened which broke all my routines. Few years later I'm at the same weight as before the start of the diet (= slightly overweight). And I don't really care anymore.

I’m the same way. I can focus and get into diet mode easily but want to get rid of my weight obsession more because of other people. Now that I’m older I realize if I stare at a person because of a recent weight gain or loss that they won’t say anything lol but they notice and it’s bad manners for me to do so.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 1:01 pm

I don't know about the obsession aspect but I have had a brush with the losing weight aspect.

I had been gradually gaining weight for a long time. I did not like it. Then in late 2018 I had a routine annual physical checkup and they reported that my A1C was getting too high. I was not yet diabetic and was only barely on the edge of being pre-diabetic but it was a bad sign.

My limited understanding of diabetes made me think it would be very inconvenient. And the interventions my doctor was proposing sounded onerous. I concluded I wanted to avoid all that trouble and to do so I needed a lower A1C and seemingly the best way to do that was to lose weight...so I took measures to lose weight.

Fortunately, I was Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), retired, disinterested and unskilled for cooking, and married to an ADHD gal who was often away from the house living her busy life. For the many meals my bride was too busy to provide my food plan was simple...often involving fast-food.

And there were a limited number of convenience-food places I used and my order in each was pretty predictable. (I was quite amused when, in one place, the cashier began ringing up my order—correctly—before I had even gotten to the counter! In another place they routinely skipped a lot of the standard questions because they knew my preferences.)

I made small adjustments to my normal orders to reduce the calories involved. Through a year's worth of repetition the small changes accumulated into a loss of 30 pounds (approximately 15 kilograms). And thanks to the weight loss my A1C was fine.

So, I suggest looking at your food routines and making minor adjustments to the routines. Through repetition you might get some nice results!

(For instance: "before" I would have one not-too-large soda, um, soft-drink, from the soda fountain with my meals; "after" I would order chocolate milk. The chocolate milk came prepackaged, was smaller and therefore had fewer calories, and still tasted good.)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 1:03 pm

Try to dig back in your memories to where the obsession began. You probably saw a dramatic life change with weight change, and it took up too much space in your head as the primary factor in success or failure. Life is quirky. Cass Elliot worked really hard to get thin, and the audience didn't like it. Karen Carpenter only thought she was fat, and starved to death.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2022, 8:12 pm

Sometimes I know people break down things by “desire” and conversely “adversion”. What do want and what do you flee from. That is first principles.

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 8:25 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I don't know about the obsession aspect but I have had a brush with the losing weight aspect.

I had been gradually gaining weight for a long time. I did not like it. Then in late 2018 I had a routine annual physical checkup and they reported that my A1C was getting too high. I was not yet diabetic and was only barely on the edge of being pre-diabetic but it was a bad sign.

My limited understanding of diabetes made me think it would be very inconvenient. And the interventions my doctor was proposing sounded onerous. I concluded I wanted to avoid all that trouble and to do so I needed a lower A1C and seemingly the best way to do that was to lose weight...so I took measures to lose weight.

Fortunately, I was Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), retired, disinterested and unskilled for cooking, and married to an ADHD gal who was often away from the house living her busy life. For the many meals my bride was too busy to provide my food plan was simple...often involving fast-food.

And there were a limited number of convenience-food places I used and my order in each was pretty predictable. (I was quite amused when, in one place, the cashier began ringing up my order—correctly—before I had even gotten to the counter! In another place they routinely skipped a lot of the standard questions because they knew my preferences.)

I made small adjustments to my normal orders to reduce the calories involved. Through a year's worth of repetition the small changes accumulated into a loss of 30 pounds (approximately 15 kilograms). And thanks to the weight loss my A1C was fine.

So, I suggest looking at your food routines and making minor adjustments to the routines. Through repetition you might get some nice results!

(For instance: "before" I would have one not-too-large soda, um, soft-drink, from the soda fountain with my meals; "after" I would order chocolate milk. The chocolate milk came prepackaged, was smaller and therefore had fewer calories, and still tasted good.)

Good for you, though I didn’t have a problem ever with losing though just don’t want to lol, really one of my few joys in life is ice cream and candy :(

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 8:26 pm

JimJohn wrote:
Sometimes I know people break down things by “desire” and conversely “adversion”. What do want and what do you flee from. That is first principles.

I have no idea what you mean lol.

CarlinH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Try to dig back in your memories to where the obsession began. You probably saw a dramatic life change with weight change, and it took up too much space in your head as the primary factor in success or failure. Life is quirky. Cass Elliot worked really hard to get thin, and the audience didn't like it. Karen Carpenter only thought she was fat, and starved to death.

I actually starting gaining weight after my parents separated though I think it was all the fat shaming comments I heard from teachers, students, so called friends and family as I don’t recall feeling that way about woman or least celebrities gaining weight until I was in my teens.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 8:50 am

I was overweight. It happened slowly over the years. A little bit each year. Finally I reached a point where neither dieting nor exercise combined could make me lose weight. So I realized that unless I could get this under control, I was at the end of my life. I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) surgery almost 10 years ago. In this surgery they cut my stomach in two pieces and then reroute the pieces so I can absorb only a minimal amount of food, otherwise if I take too much I will throw up. It worked for me. I lost over 100 pounds and kept if off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 9:19 am

I know what you mean. Gaining 5 pounds gets me upset because my clothes become tighter on me. I'm pretty obsessed with weight.

Karen Carpenter was never "fat." In fact, she was always too thin, even in her "nonanorexic" days.