What type of people allow a 5 year old to transition!?

Page 4 of 16 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 8:59 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Firstly, it’s just straight up wrong to say that there was “a consensus” that gender reassignment didn’t work. In actuality, the consensus was (and remains) that it did work.
See:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6546862/

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornell.e ... er-people/

(These are both meta-analyses of multiple studies, rather than cherry-picked examples)

Secondly, when there is a disconnect between what the evidence shows and what an individual thinks, this does not show that the evidence is biased - it shows that the individual is biased. Facts disproving your views isn’t proof that facts are woke, it is proof that your views are wrong.

You never learn do you Walrus, again for the trans topic you post BS "activist science" and claim "muh facts". That meta is all about studies using the old canard self-reported happiness/medical questionnaires often done by post or email which naturally excludes:

1) anyone who kills themselves
2) anyone who drops out of long term studies in the throes of depression
or, just to be fair to the other side
3) anyone murdered by "white supremacist" twitter TERF gangs

The immense selection bias that self-reported wellness "fill out this form" surveys introduces into any study is well known and no one serious about investigating a phenomenon will use them. It's only corrupt headline grabbers and political activists who still do it. The meta study even explicitly warns you how useless this stuff is:

As sex reassignment surgery often constitutes the final step of sex reassignment measures, hormone therapy as well as accompanying psychotherapy may have had a confounding effect. Not all studies adjusted for confounding factors. A lack of randomization and control or the use of a matched control group (17, 19) in the studies also introduced methodological bias (table 2). Furthermore, the high dropout rates of 12% (17) to 77% (23) (median: 56%), which are mainly due to non-respondents, should be assessed critically. In our experience, however, the patient population of trans women is often reticent and is not interested in study participation because of personal reasons (“to not be reminded of that time”). Other authors have shared this observation (18, 24), which may also explain the occasionally high dropout rates. There is also the possibility that dissatisfied patients were among the dropouts. Owing to socioeconomic and clinical conditions, the studies from Croatia (18) and China (25) need to be evaluated separately. On the one hand, the authors of both studies draw attention to the public’s lack of awareness and understanding (and the associated psychological stress for trans women) in these countries, and, on the other hand, statutory sickness funds did not cover the costs of all treatments, which were therefore accessible to only few patients. This explains the notably lower participant numbers of 3 (18) and 4 (25) male-to-female transitions after sex reassignment surgery. None of the included studies reported potential suicide rates.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0016885

^ This is a much more reasonable study looking at mortality rates in general (the gold standard test for any medical treatment), including suicide and other things. It's not particularly conclusive, like much properly done science, except to say that those who undergo sex reassignment have much higher mortality rates (interestingly, due to a wealth of health problems, not just suicide) compared to the non-dysphoric control population. There is also a suggestion of increased mortality in a 10+ year timeframe (not well studied) post-surgery, but draws nothing conclusive. It urges much more study on the topic and better follow-up care for post-ops, and naturally, everything negative could be hand-waved away as the result of "hate and discrimination" against the trans population, yet it is still 1000x more useful than the turd of a meta study you just squatted and dropped on our heads.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 12:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
The fact that a few years ago there was a consensus about the inefficiency of gender reassignment in alleviating gender dysphoria, and that now somehow there seems to be a debate about the obvious, it's a sign of heavy interference of woke politics with the scientific research.

Gosh, where to begin?

Firstly, it’s just straight up wrong to say that there was “a consensus” that gender reassignment didn’t work. In actuality, the consensus was (and remains) that it did work.
See:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6546862/

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornell.e ... er-people/

(These are both meta-analyses of multiple studies, rather than cherry-picked examples)

Secondly, when there is a disconnect between what the evidence shows and what an individual thinks, this does not show that the evidence is biased - it shows that the individual is biased. Facts disproving your views isn’t proof that facts are woke, it is proof that your views are wrong.
Dengashinobi wrote:
It's about teaching childre that there are more than one genders

That’s just a fact. There are as many genders as there are people, although we can broadly categorise people as “man”, “woman”, “boy”, “girl”, “non-binary”, “genderfluid”, “agender”, etc. Why shouldn’t we teach children these facts? If a child asks me how many genders there are, I’m not going to lie and say there is only one.

I read your references and what struck me in the first reference you posted is this, "All of the studies were judged to be at moderate to high risk of bias." It seems that the people themselves who did the study didn't have much faith in it.

You said that my references are cherry picked and that yours are not. And the reason yours are not is because yours are meta-analysis studies. Why, can't you cherry pick meta-analysis studies too? Also I wouldn't call my sources cherry picking exactly. Those are studies of data from the public health services of Sweden, a country with quite a rubust public health care system. It's number of subjects is also quite an expansive one. You will hardly find any better data on the subject.

I also insist with my claim (since you did not disproove it) that the situation regarding this topic in the medical community was not the same as it is now. That Swedish research I mentioned used to be a very influential one, and people back then where discussing about approaches to gender dysphoria from that perspective. Since then though, woke transgender activism broke loose shutting down everything on their wake. Similarly how they tried to cancel Dave Chappelle from Netflix. But of course not every anonymous to the public researcher enjoys the popularity and support that Chappelle does. Therefore the best way to keep your carear as a researcher is to avoid research on gender dysphoria all together. The only research that is currently being done is that kind that gets a pass from activists. Feel free to ask me if you wish for sources that back my claims. There are countless of occasions were activists shut down research on the topic.

As for the gender thing, here we go again with the magical cultic newspeak. Absolute non sense.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2023, 3:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Played in search engines looking for written content about the thing and while doing that, found,

Transgender Issues
Is Three Too Young for Children to Know They're a Different Gender? Transgender Researchers Disagree
07:03
Jon Brooks
Aug 26, 2018

https://www.kqed.org/futureofyou/440851 ... ransgender

Quote:
Many gender clinicians now recommend parents 'socially transition' kids who persistently express a transgender identity.
But research has shown most children will give up their transgender identity by the time they are adolescents.
Not all researchers agree, though, that this research is valid.

Hmm,

Quote:
How young is too young?
UCSF’s Diane Ehrensaft, one of the leading proponents of socially transitioning transgender children, believes there is no minimum age, really, to pursue such a change.'For all of these interventions, our model is stages not ages,” she said. 'When a child is at the place in their life that they can get themselves in focus, help us see them, and are clear, consistent, and stable in both their representation of themselves, and also can express their desires of how they want to live their gender, that's the age.'We have seen some kids as young as two whose parents are bringing them in because they're beginning to say, ‘Me not boy. Me girl.’ Social transition can happen as soon as a child has language or the ability to communicate to us who they are.'

Another hmm,

Quote:
Not Just Numbers

When it comes down to it, when we talk about the controversy over socially transitioning young kids, we are talking about risk analysis. Which is more disruptive and potentially harmful: to deny children their genuinely felt gender identity in the present moment, until the adults are absolutely sure it will stick? Or to validate a child’s persistent, consistent and insistent protestations that ‘Hey, someone has made a terrible mistake here,’ even if they eventually decide they no longer feel that way?

Ehrensaft, at least, is clear on the answer:

“Why would we deny for the vast majority of kids something that is basically suicide prevention?”

:arrow: Here's more about the UCSF professor named in 2nd quote,
https://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/pr ... -ehrensaft
and
http://dianeehrensaft.com/
I believe the point of the thread isn't to have a thoughtful discussion about this issue, but instead just to cause hysteria.
That might be spot on, seeing how the discussion evolved.

Personally, as a parent, I support as much as possible of gender-neutral space for development. I see nothing wrong with boys playing princesses and girls playing soldiers. Childhood is all about exploration.
Children I personally know did not ask for more. If I met one who needed more, I'd try to understand their world.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm

I preferred watching Thomas The Tank Engine rather than princess Disney movies when I was little. But I think I just got into Thomas The Tank Engine because my brother used to watch it a lot, so I caught the craze as well. I didn't really watch it after about the age of 7.

Also I wasn't into horses. All the other girls in my class would all play horses every recess (up until around the age of 7), and I found it boring playing the same imaginary game every day, so I went off and played with boys, because their imaginary games were much more interesting and they didn't play the same games every day.

I've never been into sport though, and PE was one of my worse subject at school. But I liked swimming and running, and was a very active child.

I preferred teddy bears to dolls. I did have some Barbie dolls, but I didn't mother a baby doll, for instance. Instead I mothered teddy bears, especially my favourite teddy bear. I used to push him around in my toy pram, and yes, although he's pink he was always a boy to me, even though I dressed him in dolls dresses. :lol:

I loved getting dirty as a kid. When I reached adolescence I would almost look like a boy, and my mum would often say she had two sons. I did want to be a boy, because I wanted to be able to go around with my shirt off without it being inappropriate. I never wore skirts or dresses (only for school because it was part of the uniform) because it made it difficult to do the things I liked doing, such as climbing trees and riding my bike and engaging in ''rough and tumble'' play.

But knowing half the population are females, I didn't feel insecure or angry about it (like I do autism). I had a half-sister, and plenty of female cousins, and my mum and aunties and grandmothers were all females, plus billions of other people in the world, so I just called myself a tomboy.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 2:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
I preferred watching Thomas The Tank Engine rather than princess Disney movies when I was little. But I think I just got into Thomas The Tank Engine because my brother used to watch it a lot, so I caught the craze as well. I didn't really watch it after about the age of 7.

Also I wasn't into horses. All the other girls in my class would all play horses every recess (up until around the age of 7), and I found it boring playing the same imaginary game every day, so I went off and played with boys, because their imaginary games were much more interesting and they didn't play the same games every day.

I've never been into sport though, and PE was one of my worse subject at school. But I liked swimming and running, and was a very active child.

I preferred teddy bears to dolls. I did have some Barbie dolls, but I didn't mother a baby doll, for instance. Instead I mothered teddy bears, especially my favourite teddy bear. I used to push him around in my toy pram, and yes, although he's pink he was always a boy to me, even though I dressed him in dolls dresses. :lol:

I loved getting dirty as a kid. When I reached adolescence I would almost look like a boy, and my mum would often say she had two sons. I did want to be a boy, because I wanted to be able to go around with my shirt off without it being inappropriate. I never wore skirts or dresses (only for school because it was part of the uniform) because it made it difficult to do the things I liked doing, such as climbing trees and riding my bike and engaging in ''rough and tumble'' play.

But knowing half the population are females, I didn't feel insecure or angry about it (like I do autism). I had a half-sister, and plenty of female cousins, and my mum and aunties and grandmothers were all females, plus billions of other people in the world, so I just called myself a tomboy.

You are lucky you didn't have woke parents. They would have sent you to a "therapist" to "affirm" your male "gender" and later have you in puberty blockers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2023, 3:07 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You are lucky you didn't have woke parents. They would have sent you to a "therapist" to "affirm" your male "gender" and later have you in puberty blockers.

Or super conservatist parents who would ban you from watching Thomas the Tank Engine and force you to wear pretty dresses.
It's unhealthy both ways when taken too far.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 3:31 am

magz wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Or super conservatist parents who would ban you from watching Thomas the Tank Engine and force you to wear pretty dresses.
It's unhealthy both ways when taken too far.

Basically zero percent of conservatives would do that. Maybe with boys they would be concerned, but what are the odds. Gender dysphoria is too rare in the population. It is the woke parents who are encouraging their children to exhibit symptoms of a rare psychological condition which causes great distress. How absurd is that?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2023, 3:41 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Basically zero percent of conservatives would do that. Maybe with boys they would be concerned, but what are the odds. Gender dysphoria is too rare in the population. It is the woke parents who are encouraging their children to exhibit symptoms of a rare psychological condition which causes great distress. How absurd is that?

I have not yet met the kind of "woke" parents you describe here, either, despite having some really strongly liberal friends.

I know of one instance of a woman in a store not wanting to sell Lego Technics for a girl, but it wasn't in Poland (actually, in USA).
I know parents who freak out seeing their son interested in playing with dolls and dancing ballet. I think that puts him more at risk of developing gender dysphoria (if gender dysphoria can be developed, I don't think there's sufficient research on it) than letting him freely explore the "girly" world.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 3:48 am

magz wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

I have not yet met the kind of "woke" parents you describe here, either, despite having some really strongly liberal friends.

I know of one instance of a woman in a store not wanting to sell Lego Technics for a girl, but it wasn't in Poland (actually, in USA).
I know parents who freak out seeing their son interested in playing with dolls and dancing ballet.

Oh my, even in Canada, as a young 1st grader I was interested in a "glitter book" (children's story book with lots of glitter) and I was not allowed to have it because it was "for girls", they were also concerned when I was in pre-school because I sat with one of my legs across the other (like a girl).

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 3:49 am

magz wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

I know parents who freak out seeing their son interested in playing with dolls and dancing ballet.

Can we at least agree that not wishing your child to have gender dysphoria is a healthier mentality than wanting your child to have it? After all no matter what the parents will do, won't stop or cause the condition.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2023, 4:04 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
magz wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

Can we at least agree that not wishing your child to have gender dysphoria is a healthier mentality than wanting your child to have it?
Of course. "Dysphoria" means unbearable discomfort. Not wishing your child to suffer unbearable discomfort is infinitely better than wishing them to have it!
Dengashinobi wrote:
After all no matter what the parents will do, won't stop or cause the condition.
Not sure on that part but good research on hot topics is very difficult.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:03 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I would have hated that, as I still knew I was a girl despite all that.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 6:06 am

Joe90 wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I would have hated that, as I still knew I was a girl despite all that.

Joe, woke parents would not think you are transgender just because you like traditionally male things, they know better than that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:32 am

Quote:
Joe, woke parents would not think you are transgender just because you like traditionally male things, they know better than that.

Sorry, I didn't quite know what you meant. The quotation marks confused me.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 6:34 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

What quotation marks?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:34 am

Canadian1911 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

What quotation marks?

Quote: