Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2022, 2:16 pm

I was planning on creating a film festival for quite some time. I thought of doing one. I tried and never took off. What went wrong for me?

Last edited by ivyeight6 on 27 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:25 pm

ivyeight6 wrote:
I was planning on creating a film festival for quite some time. I thought of doing a LGBT one. I tried and never took off. What went wrong for me?

Not enough information for anyone to know what your fatal errors were.

How are we supposed to guess based on the information you provided in this post? :?

As for LGBT film festivals - there are some that already exist. There's an annual one in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I bet there are other established ones as well. Maybe the market for such film fests is already saturated and there's no need to create more ? Could be one of many reasons you weren't successful. People who enter films into film fests want them seen and possibly picked up/purchased/licensed etc so they make money from them. A brand new film fest wouldn't attract any buyers so why would sellers enter their films ? Probably extremely difficult to start new film fests and likely takes many years of persistent effort to get something like this off the ground, especially without very deep pockets to fund it, market it, attract film entrants and buyer's agents to attend. Maybe you didn't consider the complexity of all of this stuff ?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2022, 2:26 pm

So. What should I do now?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:34 pm

ivyeight6 wrote:
So. What should I do now?

Either re-assess your plan and determine what went wrong and make a new better plan to execute OR determine that it's entirely unfeasible to pull off and abandon any further attempts to save your time/money/energy/sanity and carry on with life.

I have no idea how close to success you were or weren't. If you had all the required funding, contacts, marketing etc etc etc then maybe you're close to the start of something.. if you weren't even close and have no idea what sort of resources, knowledge, money, contacts and so forth that you'd even need to make something like this fly.. then it's a pipe dream that should stay that way vs. be something you pour yourself into with zero chance of success.

But you have provided nearly zero information sooooo, only you know if this is something you could actually pull off or just a daydream.