Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 6:42 pm

Someone shared on Facebook a Tiktok video of a woman saying about a "climate lockdown" coming into place by 2024, where you can only drive out your neighbourhood a limited number of times a year and your numberplate and even face will be recognised and monitored so if you break the curfew you will be fined or something.

Is this true or is it just false BS? Is it really, really going to "save the planet" or is it just more controlment? What if you need your car to get to work? Does this also go for buses and taxis? Are you allowed to walk outside your neighbourhood or does it only apply to cars? Is it really going to happen?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 8:16 pm

Oh ...absolutely!

And they will force everyone to put aluminum siding on their roofs so the lasers from those Jewish satellites dont set the nation on fire.

And they will force everyone in the UK to paint their car pink. Just to make your country a "pink car nation"!

---
Climate is an ongoing problem. Its not going to be solved by a temporary driving curfew. Its probably BS.

It would be almost believable if, instead of climate, it was about gas shortages that might be caused by the Ukraine War.

Then it would make sense for them to make you buy gas only on odd number days if you have an odd number license plate (like we did here in the US in the Seventies).

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 9:12 pm

Not only all of that, but before toilets are completely water-less, they will be really really big so you only flush them once a week to save water.

And everyone will have a potato garden either in a plot of land or in large pots, that way everyone will make their own electricity for free by making large inter-connected potato batteries.

[You're asking us to provide answers to questions about rules that won't ever happen...How can any of us do that?}

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 9:18 pm

In a way, it is already happening.

In Manila, for example, only vehicles with license plates ending in certain digits may use the highways and streets on certain days.  All others must be either parked or used outside the Metro Manila area.

Violating vehicles can be impounded by the police.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 10:54 pm

I was just wondering if any of you have heard anything about this, that's all. I learn more (reliable) news on WP than I do anywhere else but I haven't seen anyone here share any news articles about this (not even ASPartOfMe) so maybe - and hopefully - it is BS?

Please be BS - I really don't want to be controlled again like we were in 2020 and 2021.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 11:06 pm

Fact Check-Oxfordshire County Council to trial congestion-reducing traffic filters, not a ‘climate lockdown’ that stops residents leaving neighbourhoods

Quote:
An article being shared widely online is falsely claiming that a local council in England will trial climate lockdowns from 2024. It says the move would prevent residents from leaving their neighbourhoods without permission from authorities.

The Nov. 30 article, published by Vision News, a self-described independent news outlet (here, archived archive.md/PTxp7), is headlined: “Oxfordshire County Council Pass Climate Lockdown 'trial' to Begin in 2024.”

It claims the council has approved plans “to lock residents into one of six zones” in Oxford to combat global warming, and that electronic gates will be built “on key roads in and out of the city” to keep people confined.

Anyone wishing to leave their zone “will need permission from the council”, which decides “who is worthy of freedom and who isn’t,” the report adds.

“Councils get to dictate how many times per year you can see friends and family,” the article continues. “You will be stopped from fraternising with anyone outside your district, and if you want a long distance relationship in the future, forget it, you are confined to dating only those within a 15 minute walk of your house.”

Facebook and Twitter posts including extracts and claims from the article have together been shared thousands of times, while videos discussing it have amassed tens of thousands of views, the latter of which was posted on an Australian news outlet’s verified Facebook page and website.

In a series of emails exchanged with Reuters, a spokesperson for Oxfordshire County Council said the Vision News article had misrepresented its traffic filter initiative, which has been part of Oxford’s Transport Strategy since 2015 and aims to tackle traffic congestion and reduce pollution.

Six traffic filters are set to be tested for a minimum of six months around Oxford city from 2024 (here). This means that between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. private cars will need a permit to get through.

Drivers using the filters who do not have a permit, or are not exempt, will face a penalty charge notice of £35, which will increase to £70 if it is not paid within two weeks.

“Everywhere in the city will still be accessible by car, although some private car drivers may need to use a different route during the operating hours of the traffic filters,” the spokesperson said.

“Everyone, wherever they live, will still be able to drive to and from any destination in Oxford, or anywhere else, anytime they like, as often as they like.”

The spokesperson added: “None of the traffic filters will ‘trap’ residents. As you can see from this zoomable map , traffic filters are points on a road, not a ‘zone’. So, residents living on roads near the filters will be able to enter and leave through other roads at any time, without using a permit. Everyone can enter and leave their street in at least one direction without going through a filter.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 7:03 am

Fnord wrote:

In Manila, for example, only vehicles with license plates ending in certain digits may use the highways and streets on certain days.  All others must be either parked or used outside the Metro Manila area.

But why are they doing this?

It might be a response to congestion, or a response to gas shortages, or even conceivably to stop the spread of Covid. But I doubt theyre doing it because of 'climate change'.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 10:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It might be a response to congestion, or a response to gas shortages, or even conceivably to stop the spread of Covid. But I doubt theyre doing it because of 'climate change'.

I think congestion which is understandable. The moment they start doing it as a result of climate change is the moment the government will be in for a serious push back.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 10:31 am

All they have to do to stop most people from driving is to raise gas prices where only the very wealthy can afford to drive.For the rest of us it will be shanks mare.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 1:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
All they have to do to stop most people from driving is to raise gas prices where only the very wealthy can afford to drive.For the rest of us it will be shanks mare.

Capitalist climate activists be like wrote:
Why force the burden of climate action on the wealthy corporations that do the vast majority of polluting, when we can screw over everyday people who only use as much CO2 as our car-dominated society demands just to stay fed and employed?

Gotta do as much as you can to convince everyday people that climate action will destroy their livelihoods, since the alternative is forcing change on the capital class.

And yeah that bit about the Philippines has to do with reducing congestion and not CO2 emissions.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 2:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Likely congestion.

While I've never been there, my parents told me it's been similar in Mexico City for decades. Even numbered plates can drive on even numbered days, odds on odd. Too many cars and people to all be on the roads at the same time and allow traffic to move.

London has that congestion tax to even drive downtown. I've heard Vancouver's been considering similar. :roll: It's so lame like how tf are people supposed to go to work downtown?? I mean tradesmen, not keyboard warriors. If they charge me $$$ on top of the expensive parking etc then straight up it has to get billed to the client and they either pay or don't get the work done just as it is with $25 parking. Not that hard of a concept for a contractor, but just ridiculous for an employee.. employers don't pay for parking or fuel etc etc and if they were to add on another huge tax then the city would have a severe shortage of worker bees. Some would drive their tools in on the first day, then take a train for the rest if feasible.. others would just refuse to work downtown if gas/parking/congestion tax ends up costing $100/day lol F off; they'll simply only work outside of the downtown core and good luck getting anyone to build anything there!

Same crap if they force it to EV's only downtown. Yes, emissions are a problem.. but they're caused by other problems. Housing is astronomically expensive so people have to rent a room 50-100km away from where they work and drive vs. live anywhere near where they work. (Okay, some live closer but you get my general point.) This whole place is designed around driving and public transit from the suburbs is so inefficient that the only people that use it are those that cannot afford to drive. It takes 3-4 hours each direction to get to a place that takes about 40 minutes to drive in no traffic, an hour in traffic. So even if all you have to transport is a laptop bag, the several hours/day commuting is just a massive waste of life.

But in general, by design, humans are all congregating in downtown city cores and there will be more and more public transport and fewer ICE cars, more EV's, shorter commutes etc all over the world.. but there is no magic bullet to instantly transition from the suburban driving communities we've built over the last century into tight downtown cores with farmland all around. It's going to take another century or so.. and also in that time downtown port cities are going to have to contend with dramatically rising sea levels - apparently large swaths of Vancouver are slated to be underwater in 80 years. Probably should just start building floatillas like in that Kevin Costner movie, "Waterworld," now to get ahead of the curve. :p

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:32 pm

hmmm.. interesting thought floating cities , The Netherlands have been in the business of reclaiming Ocean/ Coastal areas near their coastline. Japan built an entire International Airport off the Coast, Many Years ago .
China is report to have made Islands where there were none before, to gain strategic Importance .
had seen a Utube predicting USA and other entities in the neighbourhood ,Wish to have huge throroughfares inbetween the USA as part of giant trade zones for easy movement of Commercial Traffic almost exclusively.
Known as Free Trade Corridors, Generally routed near airports and stuff . At least between Mexico and Canada...?
And wishes to pack everyone into big City centres . With little or no access to outter areas such as national Parks , etc. So that Governments can much more easily maintain population control .. Then you take Covid controls as a way to practice getting people used to being zone controlled .And having proper papers to travel. ie. Covid innoculation
documentation, A full series of shots . ( Might get people used to have their very health strictly controlled and their limitations on movements in their own areas) { maybe not such a far cry from other things that are getting suggested , on tiktok etc. But Tick tok is based out of China } So???? { Conspirascy theory follows below}

If you are Empire building on the backs of the rights of individuals being subserviant to only the Common good
of your Empire or Nation . With the least amount of backlash from people wishing to excercise their personal freedoms. You teach them control is good and slowly remove those freedoms . So that anyone seeing a impression of a police or totalitarian State , that might affect city centres with their opinions can be mitigated and or Squelched as they see fit for their benefit of their Ruling group . Minimizing the ability for any dissenting voices or actions into smaller areas , More Easily controlled . Special Individualized permits to travel etc. between each areas.
Lend the idea of personal freedoms are the world of the internet . But serious control of that As Saudi Arabia did during the Arab Spring in their country. And as Countries have already done with limiting access to certain sites within the areas that are controlled. So your world is limited to the virtual world not the real world that is tightly controlled.
So those population centres within controlled areas , including travel controlled are not even subject to recieve any info, about Governmental atrocities and only Rosey info is promoted.

(Reprinted from private sector information collection Source).

where ever you go ,there you are

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:47 pm

Yeah, TikTok. I hear Elon Musk is trying to buy it too.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 5:10 pm

Floating cities.. we are the water planet, after all. Could be a thing, never know.

Documents required to travel? Umm yeah, we've had passports for more than a century. We've had vaccine requirements for various nations for several decades at minimum. These are not new concepts in terms of managing human movement and the spread of disease.

Hard to say if there are nefarious goals of any of the systems of control being devised today, or simply better management of resources for a more peaceful society. Who knows? But I do get why some people daydream about just f*****g off into the woods of Alaska or some similar geography and just hunting, fishing, and living off the land w/o any concern for modern society and all of it's pros & cons. There are certainly entirely different means by which people can have the essentials of life that don't require a lifelong subscription to what some government tells you to do and not do w/o harming anyone, that's for sure. Might be nice to become an uncontacted tribe of one! lol

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 5:30 pm

Up to now most people have gone along with the climate change push because the cost has been minimal

Such actions would unlikely be acceptable to most people. Governments barely held down the COVID lockdowns for 18 months or so, but that was under the narrative of saving lives (potentially your own & loved ones) with a probable end in sight of a year or two like the early 20th century flu timescale

No population is going to accept an infinity lockdown on climate science, they'd be economic collapse & civil war in less than a year

I wouldn't trust any attention seeking click bait tick toc video anyway

- George Bernie Shaw

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2022, 5:58 pm

Yeah, the Oxfordshire trial of "make everything accessible within a 15 minute walk so people don't need to own cars if they don't want to" has been picked up by conspiracy theorists and spun into something it isn't. No, there are not going to be "climate lockdowns".

roronoa79 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Capitalist climate activists be like wrote:
Why force the burden of climate action on the wealthy corporations that do the vast majority of polluting, when we can screw over everyday people who only use as much CO2 as our car-dominated society demands just to stay fed and employed?

Gotta do as much as you can to convince everyday people that climate action will destroy their livelihoods, since the alternative is forcing change on the capital class.

And yeah that bit about the Philippines has to do with reducing congestion and not CO2 emissions.

That is incorrect. The majority of the polluting comes from three sources:

1) Electricity generation.

2) Fossil fuels burned in the home for heating, hot water, or cooking.

3) Fossil fuels burned in transportation (mostly land transport).

Manufacturing is another chunk. Agriculture and mining are relatively small chunks. Land use change is a slightly trickier one to pin down, but also needs to be considered.

Saying "but capitalism!" is putting ideology ahead of actually solving the problems. We need to decarbonise our electricity supply. We need to reduce car dependency and replace the remaining vehicles with zero-emission vehicles. We need to find low-carbon ways of heating and cooling our homes that actually work at scale.

"Manufacturing" in this context means glass, steel, concrete, fertilisers. These are things which are notorious for their small margins, and in some countries steel in particular is nationalised (e.g. two of the three biggest steel producers are state-owned Chinese companies). It's really hard to decarbonise these things, which are key to our everyday life. It isn't just "the capitalist classes" who need glass, steel, and fertiliser. Concrete is particularly hard to decarbonise because the greenhouse gas emissions (mostly) aren't the result of burning a fuel, they are a product of the process. But if we want to build out our rail networks to reduce car usage then we're going to need a lot of steel and concrete.

It's simply incorrect to claim that most carbon emissions are down to the super-rich. Yes, a rich person who flies around in a private jet and owns three houses emits way more carbon than the average Joe - but there are far more average Joes than there are owners of private jets.

When we blame the rich, we make the problems seem unsolvable - we are at the mercy of selfish people who don't need to care about climate change. In reality, we can solve these problems. Our electricity systems are decarbonising so quickly! Electric vehicle usage is up dramatically! Greenhouse gas emissions across the developed world have been falling for decades! This is doable - it is mostly either in our control, or in the control of governments who are in our control.