Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I still get updates for 7.

That's weird. Windows 7 updates were supposed to officially end in 2020:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

Continuing to provide security updates benefits Microsoft so I don't see them ending the security updates.

From the link I provided in my previous post:

"As of January 14, 2020, PCs running Windows 7 no longer receive security updates. Therefore, it's important that you upgrade to a modern operating system such as Windows 11, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer."

Why are Microsoft lying? :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:24 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

Continuing to provide security updates benefits Microsoft so I don't see them ending the security updates.

"As of January 14, 2020, PCs running Windows 7 no longer receive security updates. Therefore, it's important that you upgrade to a modern operating system such as Windows 11, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer."

They want people to upgrade, but as long as there's a significant number of computers running old OSes it's in their best interest to keep providing security updates. I don't think they're so much lying as warning people support has ended and that they're doing less and less going forward. I assume there will come a point where no further updates of any sort will be provided.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.121 was published on 2/13/2024.
Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.405.701.0) was published today.

Those are the most recent updates I've received.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

They want people to upgrade, but as long as there's a significant number of computers running old OSes it's in their best interest to keep providing security updates. I don't think they're so much lying as warning people support has ended and that they're doing less and less going forward. I assume there will come a point where no further updates of any sort will be provided.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.121 was published on 2/13/2024.
Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Version 1.405.701.0) was published today.

Those are the most recent updates I've received.

I believe you.

I guess it does make sense to provide updates for Windows 7 on older machines. But I would have thought they'd be honest about that?

I guess not.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:37 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I believe you.

I guess it does make sense to provide updates for Windows 7 on older machines. But I would have thought they'd be honest about that?

I guess not.

I anticipate it might relate to liability. Once they've said support has ended they have less liability for problems that occur, but they also don't want legacy users to switch to Linux or whatever other option they might consider. If support was stopped entirely that might encourage businesses to migrate away from Windows and not return.

An old potato that can run Win 7 but not 11 can probably run Linux just fine.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 5:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I believe you.

I guess not.

I anticipate it might relate to liability. Once they've said support has ended they have less liability for problems that occur, but they also don't want legacy users to switch to Linux or whatever other option they might consider. If support was stopped entirely that might encourage businesses to migrate away from Windows and not return.

An old potato that can run Win 7 but not 11 can probably run Linux just fine.

Yeah.