Is it common for some aspies to not like dating or romance?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2023, 9:14 pm

I guess I'm aromantic/asexual meaning I don't like things to do with romance or dating. I never want to date anyone though I'm attracted to men meaning I'm a heterosexual woman but I'm still not crazy about romance. I don't like romantic songs, romantic movies or romantic books. I just want to make more friends instead about dating someone. I wonder is it common for some aspies to dislike the idea of dating or romance?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 9:44 pm

These threads pop up regularly on this forum. There is a noticeable portion of people who self-describe as "aromantic".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 10:50 pm

I mean since my adolescence I always did want to get a relationship and find a special person to spend my life with. But at the same time I also don't really care about traditional romance stuff. Like me and my boyfriend don't even want to have a wedding...we would like to like legally get married but we don't want a ceremony for it or anything. We'd rather just do that in a courthouse or whatever then take some kind of trip somewhere that we'd both enjoy.

Like yeah I don't want to say mushy vows in front of people and kiss my boyfriend with everyone staring. But that is my personal feelings I still attended my sisters wedding because she did want a ceremony and all that, like I am her sister if it's important to her of course I support it. But yeah me and my boyfriend are on the same page as far as not wanting to have a wedding ceremony for us. Like neither one of us have any interest in it at all, besides if he proposed with a ring I'd probably just lose it because of my scatter brain. But we both think its stupid to spend a bunch of money on a freaking ring anyways.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 4:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean since my adolescence I always did want to get a relationship and find a special person to spend my life with. But at the same time I also don't really care about traditional romance stuff. Like me and my boyfriend don't even want to have a wedding...we would like to like legally get married but we don't want a ceremony for it or anything. We'd rather just do that in a courthouse or whatever then take some kind of trip somewhere that we'd both enjoy.

Like yeah I don't want to say mushy vows in front of people and kiss my boyfriend with everyone staring.
[...]
But yeah me and my boyfriend are on the same page as far as not wanting to have a wedding ceremony for us. Like neither one of us have any interest in it at all, besides if he proposed with a ring I'd probably just lose it because of my scatter brain. But we both think its stupid to spend a bunch of money on a freaking ring anyways.

I feel likewise.

My boyfriend and I are not sure if we will ever get legally married, but, if we ever do, we too would not be into the traditional trappings.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 12:32 pm

My brother is Autistic and he has no desire to find true love or get married!

He does better on his own and feels being tethered to a woman would bog him down

Me on the other hand is Autistic but has an interest in love, dating and marriage because I have been single for 12 years and feel it's time to find my soul mate plus my dad is dead and my mom is disabled from her stroke

To answer your question:

It is 100% normal for Aspies to not like dating or romance because Autistic people are introverts by default