Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2007, 3:18 am

Okay. I shudder with embarrassment to ask, but does anyone else here have a fascination with their own reflection?

I personally find looking at my own reflection (unless I'm having an ugly day or similar) extremely reassuring and calming. When on my computer in the evening, I leave the curtains open so I can look at my reflection in the glass. I tend to stop and look at myself in shop windows while walking down the street. Even when kissing my partner I have been known to look over her shoulder if there's a mirror or reflective surface behind her. It's become a joke among my friends: when they're talking to me and they see my eyes wander, they sometimes ask: "Is there a mirror in here?"

Well, that felt a little embarrassing to have to admit, but perhaps it's not just my personal pathology. It may have something to do with the fact that hearing myself talk or sing something I know extremely well - and quite repetitively at times - also centers me.

Is there any literature which discusses this issue? And - since I'm still trying to figure out what's up with my brain - is this something which is often linked to "spectrum" conditions?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

13 Aug 2007, 3:22 am

I look in the mirror frequently, too.

But mostly it's because I need frequent reality checks, to avoid forgetting what I really look like. I suppose it's a sort of insecurity. I often get to thinking that I look strange, maybe because I feel strange. Then when I see my reflection I realize, again, that I'm just fine.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:57 am

I dont know if it is linked to AS, . It is kind of fascinating, though. I compulsively look in the mirror too. It is a kind of reassurance, because i forget what i look like and have to check. I do not know why i really do it.

Even on my daily walks, i end up going by a lot of store windows. Its irresistable. A coworker of mine actually caught me on a day off downtown looking at myself in one of said windows. She told me she thought she saw me, and recognised me from the habit. Its ok, its nice to laugh at myself about it. Dont be embarrassed, why even care? I just explain how i "just tend to do that".
I am probably not going to stop.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 4:06 am

I have always been fascinated by my own reflection. As a child I would spend ages stairing and pulling faces at myself in the mirror so much my Mother would comment on it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 4:38 am

Same here. I like mirrors. My reflection is one of the few people I can connect with. Flakey calls me a canary.

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2007, 4:49 am

My partner tells me that when I am mirror-looking, I get "this weird smile" on my face - apparently the same one I get when I'm posing for a photograph. So I figure it must be a subconscious "do I look all right?", or more precisely "do I look in a way that will cause people to punish me?"

I have a lopsided smile because one side of my face doesn't work as efficiently as the other. I would often get yelled at as a child for "smirking", when really I was simply attempting to smile but not quite pulling it off.

"You can't even see me. What's the point of smiling?" - Gary Numan

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2007, 8:58 am

I like looking in mirrors, but only because I'm convinced that one day I'll see the real me looking back as opposed to who ever it is that keeps looking back at me.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Aug 2007, 9:14 am

doloras wrote:
does anyone else here have a fascination with their own reflection?
yes. i also like taking pictures of myself and looking at them :D

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:32 pm

I avoid mirrors, reflections, and pictures of myself. I don't like certain things about my body and seeing a picture of myself can put me into a deep depression to the point were I can't function in life.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:41 pm

"I personally find looking at my own reflection (unless I'm having an ugly day or similar) extremely reassuring and calming."

Yup, Im the exact same way

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:16 pm

Yeah I am always looking in mirrors. I practice facial expressions and etc... when looking in them.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2007, 3:57 pm

Yeah, I'm always looking in the mirror. Mostly to see if anything's changed, but alas, it never does.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 4:04 pm

doloras wrote:
Okay. I shudder with embarrassment to ask, but does anyone else here have a fascination with their own reflection?

Women do, but autism is overwhelmingly a male issue.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2007, 4:51 pm

Read your classical myths, Ever wonder where the word "narcissism" comes from?

I'm guilty of it myself! :P

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 4:58 pm

thistoo

madmogs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Aug 2007, 5:06 pm

I have the opposite. I tend to avoid my own reflection, and I won't look at all if other people are around. I find looking myself in the eye too weird.