Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

13 Aug 2007, 4:30 am

I have been seeing this same guy for the past month now. We met on a forum last month and then on my birthday we finally met up at a Starbucks and we walked around downtown and had a blast. We saw each other again that Saturday but I invited him over after asking my aunt's permission. We kept seeing each other a lot that month and I took him to Spokane with me and he had a blast there. He says he loves me and I like him a lot and he is the only guy I am focusing on right now because we get along great and I feel comfortable with him and my feelings are different for him than they were when I was with other men. He is looking forward to haveing a relationship with me and he thinks we have known each other for a while because to him a month is a long time and I keep telling him "nit it's not" because one month and few months isn't a long time. A few years is. I don't want to rush into a relationship by deciding to be his girlfriend after knowing him for a month so I am asking how long should I wait till I decide to be his girlfriend. Three months? Six months? A year? What?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 7:19 am

I waited 6 months before even meeting my last girlfriend in person (she lived 1,200 miles away).

The thing is, there is no set time in regards to this. It all depends on how comfortable you are with that person.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 7:22 am

Didn't you post this before? What tim says

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 9:27 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Didn't you post this before? What tim says

yes she did, august 2nd it was, i guess she forgot or maybe figures write it differantly or update us may make differant reactions?? i dont know

my point of veiw on this, a year or more before doing anything sexual with them, this is so u can get to better know the guys your with.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 9:33 am

However long you want.
Wait till you feel OK with it. Whether that's a few months or a few years.

13 Aug 2007, 11:57 am

I don't remember posting this. I thought this was my first time.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:18 pm

you know...... i dont think i've actually used the "will you be my bf" or have had the "will you be my gf" in many yrs (not even counting that i havent been in a relationship for over a yr :cry: :cry: )

but it's just about what you want... and you said you weren't really looking elsewhere cause you're havin so much fun with him

so i dont see the harm... yet if you're unsure, maybe just wait a little while longer

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:30 pm

likedcalico wrote:
He is looking forward to having a relationship with me and he thinks we have known each other for a while because to him a month is a long time and I keep telling him "nit it's not" because one month and few months isn't a long time. A few years is. I don't want to rush into a relationship by deciding to be his girlfriend after knowing him for a month so I am asking how long should I wait till I decide to be his girlfriend. Three months? Six months? A year? What?

I know what's going on! He's never been in a romantic relationship before, and now that it looks like he finally found one (with you), he wants to make it official ASAP. I don't blame the guy for feeling this way. I felt exactly the same when I found my first relationship, and I didn't even care that wasn't physically attracted to her. So as a favor to your future boyfriend (hopefully), be more understanding of his situation. While you've been in relationships before and know what they're like, he's probably been looking for a relationship for a very long time, and from his perception, he finally found one, so he wants to experience it right away.

As for you personally, tell him you'd prefer to spend more time together before committing to a relationship. Just make sure he knows you still want to be with him. You can tell him something like this (his possible thoughts will be in italics):
Quote:
I noticed that you've been wanting to make the relationship official. In regards to that, I have something to tell you. I like you a lot, and I like spending time with you. (you're still interested) But I feel like we need to get to know each other more before committing to a serious relationship. I take relationships seriously (which would include a relationship with him), and wouldn't feel comfortable committing to someone I haven't gotten to know well (you're being honest and consistent with him). But just because we won't be official, it doesn't mean we can't spend time together and do romantic things. We can still do what we've been doing all along (reassure him that he won't lose anything from not being in a relationship). If we still get along this nicely after getting to know each other more, a serious relationship would be a wonderful thing (there's still hope to find what he's looking for). I want you to understand how I feel, and I hope we can still spend time together (you don't want him to lose interest just because you can't give him a relationship right away).
In my opinion, however, I think three to six months is a good amount of time to wait before making the relationship official. Whether or not you decide to talk about seeing each other exclusively is up to you.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 13 Aug 2007, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:32 pm

likedcalico wrote:
I don't remember posting this. I thought this was my first time.

sorry likedcalico but heres the link to this same question

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ht=#832283

to see proof if you use a tabbed browser such as firefox or ie7, put the one ur seeing this in now in one tab and the above link in other, its asking same thing same situation but worded just slightly differant so, sorry to say, yes you typed this same thing to wp before and in same subject (love and dating)

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:20 pm

In my opinion, if you are dating exclusively, then by default that is what a boyfriend/girlfriend is. It does not commit you to physical acts or anything, just a commitment to have a go with this one person to develop a hopefully lasting friendship and more.

1973 - Two-years old and chillin' in South Weymouth, MA.