Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 8:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
1931 The Public Enemy

I just watched this one. Rather fascinating how quickly things reversed. The movie dealt with prohibition-era bootlegging. Then, after FDR became president, booze was legal, BUT the Hayes Codes became a thing.

Quote:

For a 1941 re-release, three scenes in "The Public Enemy" were censored to comply with the Production Code. These censored segments (including an extended edit of the scene involving the gay tailor) were restored for the 2005 DVD release.

It isn't as if there was any gay sex. Just a tailor looking gay.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 9:29 am

Strawberry Roan (1933) is an excellent movie, although I don't think that it had anything to which the censors would have objected. They have huge herds of horses running around, and some great scenery. Plus, some cowboy music.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 8:57 pm

Gow the Head Hunter, 1928

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfTeXsNqQ0

An interesting look at interactions with primitive people during the early 20th century

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 9:15 am

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:33 pm

I recently watched The Sheik (1921), with Rudolph Valentino.

An Arab sheik kidnaps a British woman and brings her to his tent in the Sahara Desert of Algeria. In the end, she falls in love with him. She finds out that the Sheik is actually of European parentage--he had been adopted as a child into the tribe, and this somehow takes away the racial stigma.

A rather odd movie--I don't recommend it other than to satisfy one's curiosity. The movie was a huge hit back in the day.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0012675/?ref_=tt_urv

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 4:20 pm

Three on a Match (1932)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023590

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqw8a0_ETxQ

I thought it was a good movie. A woman has a good life with a good husband, but she gets bored with her life, and throws it all away for a thug. Something of a cautionary tale.

Stars Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 12:20 pm

The only two I can think of are Gone With the Wind and Nosferatu.

Nosferatu was a really creepy German vampire movie and it's frankly much better than the Hollywood take on Bram Stoker's Dracula.

And Gone With the Wind was a complex movie to me because the way it portrayed slavery was offensive but at the same time the actors playing Scarlett and Rhett had great chemistry and Scarlett O'hara was an intriguing heroine. She was tough and backed down before no man, she did what she had to in order to survive the war, and she was frankly not a pleasant person who used men who she had no attachment to, chased after a married man for years, and slapped a black slave girl in the face hard. Yet despite her many flaws she was still an endearing character to watch.