Suspected Chinese spy balloon spotted over U.S. skies

Page 10 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 3:26 pm

I'm probably going to receive flak for this, but if this Spy balloon originally passed over the Canadian air space, why didn't Canada shoot the balloon down when it was crossing their air space initially?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 2:03 pm

Chinese spy balloon gathered intelligence from sensitive U.S. military sites, despite U.S. efforts to block it

Quote:
The Chinese spy balloon that flew across the U.S. was able to gather intelligence from several sensitive American military sites, despite the Biden administration’s efforts to block it from doing so, according to two current senior U.S. officials and one former senior administration official.

China was able to control the balloon so it could make multiple passes over some of the sites (at times flying figure-eight formations) and transmit the information it collected back to Beijing in real time, the three officials said. The intelligence China collected was mostly from electronic signals, which can be picked up from weapons systems or include communications from base personnel, rather than images, the officials said.

The three officials said China could have gathered much more intelligence from sensitive sites if not for the administration’s efforts to move around potential targets and obscure the balloon’s ability to pick up their electronic signals by stopping them from broadcasting or emitting signals.

The balloon had a self-destruct mechanism that could have been activated remotely by China, but the officials said it’s not clear if that didn’t happen because the mechanism malfunctioned or because China decided not to trigger it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman