Carbon monoxide detector went off for no reason

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:12 am

Last night our carbon monoxide detector randomly went off in the kitchen, even though both gas appliances had been switched off for a while, and there isn't anything else that uses gas. I thought it might have come from a gas leak outside but the window was closed. We opened the window all night to air the kitchen and it didn't go off any more.
So it's a mystery as to why it went off like that. :?

It's like really, really loud as well, and so now I'm worried about going into the kitchen in case it randomly goes off again and splits my eardrums. It's much louder than a smoke detector. I know it has to be loud but due to a perforated eardrum and jumpy nerves it's a bad anxiety issue for me. And I'm also worried as to why it would go off randomly like that when no gas appliances were being used. Even the boiler was switched off (we usually switch it off at the wall when we're not using hot water or heating).

We don't have a fireplace or a furnace (we live in a modern British apartment).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:54 am

Probably something wrong with the device itself. Is there a number to call on the device itself?

Yep....those things are loud!

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 10:12 am

I would get the gas appliances checked out. Better safe than sorry..

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 12:54 pm

Some go off if the battery is weak and needs to be replaced. That could be all it is if there's no possible source of CO.

CO detectors are placed low because CO is heavier than air. If you had a door open, or it's drafty through your door etc, it is Possible that the source was from a neighbouring apartment and the CO travelled into your place - but that would typically mean open doors/ease of gas flow, so not as likely as the battery simply needs to be replaced.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:05 am

I had that happen in the middle of the night.It was a defective unit since I don’t have gas and the wood stove wasn’t going either and fresh batteries.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 9:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Some go off if the battery is weak and needs to be replaced. That could be all it is if there's no possible source of CO.

CO detectors are placed low because CO is heavier than air. If you had a door open, or it's drafty through your door etc, it is Possible that the source was from a neighbouring apartment and the CO travelled into your place - but that would typically mean open doors/ease of gas flow, so not as likely as the battery simply needs to be replaced.

I was thinking battery as well. I had one of those go ballistic on me when the battery was about to die. I replaced it and problem was solved.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 4:28 pm

I don't think our's has batteries. It's one of those ones that were installed electronically on the wall.

I'm scared to go in the kitchen in case it goes off again. The loud noise will just frighten the s**t out of me.

Question that may not be related to this thread: Is it possible to literally have a heart attack if you're anticipating a loud sudden noise that is very unlikely to happen and then it does happen? That's how bad my nerves are. I'm more likely to get a bad shock if my brain is anticipating a sudden loud noise than if it isn't. I'm worried in case this noise might actually send me into cardiac arrest if I was to be cooking in the kitchen whilst anticipating the alarm and it does go off. I do wear headphones every time I go into the kitchen now.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm

It should still have a backup battery just in case the power goes out. It’s likely dead/too weak. It might be as simple as changing a 9v battery and it won’t go off “for no reason,” again.