Apartheid Court system now legalised in Mississippi

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 3:07 am

The Republican-dominated Mississippi house of representatives has passed a bill to create a separate, unelected court system in the city of Jackson that would fall outside the purview of the city’s black voters.

The bill, which local leaders have likened to apartheid-era laws and described as unconstitutional, would also expand a separate capitol police force, overseen by state authorities. The force would expand into all of the city’s white-majority neighborhoods, according to Mississippi Today. Jackson’s population is over 80% Black.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... urt-system

The bill passed largely along party lines in a 76-38 vote and will now travel to the state senate, where Republicans also hold a significant majority.
The proposed bill is the latest in a line of extreme legislation in the state, which last year introduced a sweeping anti-critical race theory law, which met vocal opposition from the state’s Black caucus.

Jackson has also suffered from a series of water outages due to ailing infrastructure, which has been chronically underfunded by the state for years. Black residents in the poorest parts of the city have been disproportionately affected.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 4:25 am

Your subject line is misleading. Nothing is legalized until it passes both sides and gets signed into law.

Besides, I will believe such a headline when I read it in an American mainstream news site -- not some foreign tabloid.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 4:35 am

The Guardian article contains a link to the bill itself, on the Mississippi government website.

Someone here with more time and energy than I have for this right now could take a look and see if the bill has been accurately represented in the Guardian article.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 10:33 am

It should be noted that Mississippi has the highest percentage of blacks of any state's population--about 38%.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 5:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
Your subject line is misleading. Nothing is legalized until it passes both sides and gets signed into law.

Besides, I will believe such a headline when I read it in an American mainstream news site -- not some foreign tabloid.

According to the original source via the link I posted -The bill passed largely along party lines in a 76-38 vote and will now travel to the state senate, where Republicans also hold a significant majority.

It doesn't guarantee passage of the bill but the writing seems to be on the wall.

The reason for the separate court system can be found on this CNBC link
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/08/mississ ... cials.html

In a city that is 80% black (the blackest city in the US) the reation of a new court system to handle criminal and civil cases in which judges and prosecutors would be appointed by state officials — who all happen to be white

The accusation by democrats is the bill is designed to create a court that would remove CRT from black schools (this is code for removing black history from the curriculum since CRT isn't actually taught till College).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 6:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

According to the original source via the link I posted -The bill passed largely along party lines in a 76-38 vote and will now travel to the state senate, where Republicans also hold a significant majority.

It doesn't guarantee passage of the bill but the writing seems to be on the wall.

The reason for the separate court system can be found on this CNBC link
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/08/mississ ... cials.html

In a city that is 80% black (the blackest city in the US) the reation of a new court system to handle criminal and civil cases in which judges and prosecutors would be appointed by state officials — who all happen to be white

The accusation by democrats is the bill is designed to create a court that would remove CRT from black schools (this is code for removing black history from the curriculum since CRT isn't actually taught till College).

What are people afraid of when it comed to CRT?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 6:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What are people afraid of when it comed to CRT?

It's something similar in Australia. We call it "black armband" approach to teaching history. It works on the following premise
a. teaching white kids about the racist foundation of their nation (US, Canada, Australia or NZ) will make them less patriotic
b. it will shove race in their faces
c. It will make them less proud about the nation builders and settlers
d. It will reduce their self-esteem
e. Make them not proud to be white

There is of course the accusation that black history written by black history professors or white liberal arts professors will be inaccurate, biased and woke.

We have similar arguments in Australia but in the US the republican led war on CRT is like the issue on steroids