Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 10:10 pm

There has been at least one other thread about "NT days" on this forum. From what I got from that thread it appears that many people around here have days when they behave and interact with others like they are NTs. I've had these days, and I would be lying if I said that I didn't very highly enjoy them. Most of you know what I'm talking about. But what I want to talk about in this thread is what causes "NT days." There must be a reason why aspies occasionally have them. There must be a chemical reason for it.

Was it something I ate? What did I do on that day that I acted outgoing? Did I do any drugs? I know for me, I find that caffeine makes me act a little more outgoing. It generally enhances my mood and helps me concentrate. I've also heard from other threads about a drug called oxytocin which may cause aspies to exhibit NT characteristics. I guess what I'm saying is, is that aspies are capable of exhibiting NT traits, hence, NT days. These NT days must have a chemical cause. There must, in theory, be a way to induce more NT days. I mean, it's plain that we are capable of acting NT. Why couldn't there be a way to willingly cause NT traits? Maybe there's some kind of food that could help you do it, or some kind of drug like oxytocin.

Do any of you do any drugs that make you act more NT? I'm not talking about drugs that relieve anxiety, but drugs that actually make you more outgoing, personable and emotionally reciprocating.

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2007, 11:07 pm

Tramadol - a mild synthetic opiate - makes me definitely much more relaxed and happy around people. Wouldn't say it makes me act neurotypical as I end up actually relaxed, friendly and outgoing apparently to the point where I'm *more* offputting to people.

the_falling_frog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2007, 11:31 pm

Sometimes I have days where I feel sharp and quick, like a light that's been turned on, and I'm a lot more talkative at those times but not actually any less autistic. Just a more loudmouthed autistic.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 1:27 am

I suspect dopamine levels might have something to do with it. Dopamine affects creativity, learning and probably pretty much how much of the brain we use in general. You really find that your brain works with you on your obsessions, but since we're not very interested in social activities, the levels in the brain will normally be pretty low when we try to be social. I think that if some state of mind has your levels elevated for a prolonged period of time, you find yourself functioning better socially. Drugs that increase dopamine levels seem to make it easier being social as well.

The action seems a bit peculiar though, antipsychotics are said to make loners more social in spite of minimizing dopamine levels, probably because they reduce the focus on the person's actual interests and make him more receptive to external stimulus. I imagine this kind of being social just means that you listen to other people and nod, not really being very active.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 1:27 am

I can't really say what I eat or drink they happen at random those days but I must admit I do enjoy them much better than others and I keep hold of it when it comes

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2007, 4:28 am

the_falling_frog wrote:
Sometimes I have days where I feel sharp and quick, like a light that's been turned on, and I'm a lot more talkative at those times but not actually any less autistic. Just a more loudmouthed autistic.

Haha. Me too. The more outgoing, talkative phases seem to go along with my "manic" phases(I suspect I"m Bipolar-seeing a therapist next month). I'm also less anxious, more confidant, and will venture out of my cave, but I stim more and have tons of excess energy that drives my hubby nuts. My kids love it though!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 8:52 am

I am probably at my best at work, where I know my job and do it well.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 8:57 am

frankwah wrote:
There has been at least one other thread about "NT days" on this forum. From what I got from that thread it appears that many people around here have days when they behave and interact with others like they are NTs. I've had these days, and I would be lying if I said that I didn't very highly enjoy them. Most of you know what I'm talking about. But what I want to talk about in this thread is what causes "NT days." There must be a reason why aspies occasionally have them. There must be a chemical reason for it.

Was it something I ate? What did I do on that day that I acted outgoing? Did I do any drugs? I know for me, I find that caffeine makes me act a little more outgoing. It generally enhances my mood and helps me concentrate. I've also heard from other threads about a drug called oxytocin which may cause aspies to exhibit NT characteristics. I guess what I'm saying is, is that aspies are capable of exhibiting NT traits, hence, NT days. These NT days must have a chemical cause. There must, in theory, be a way to induce more NT days. I mean, it's plain that we are capable of acting NT. Why couldn't there be a way to willingly cause NT traits? Maybe there's some kind of food that could help you do it, or some kind of drug like oxytocin.

Do any of you do any drugs that make you act more NT? I'm not talking about drugs that relieve anxiety, but drugs that actually make you more outgoing, personable and emotionally reciprocating.

it is not aspergans who have days of being NT like,it's 'some' aspergans,as not all are on the same functioning and severity level.
the lower functioning/more autistic an aspergan is,the less likely they are as aware of,and are as able to hide their autistic behaviors.

NTism in a non NT is often a coping thing they have learned,this is why so many older aspergans have problems getting diagnosed because they have copied parts of NTism.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 12:21 pm

I remember becoming highly NT-like after taking some Vicodin for a root canal I had done. Here's a mini-recap of that story. One day, me and my friends went out bowling. Right before heading out, I took a pill, so the toothache wouldn't strike when I'm out in public. My friends went inside to reserve a lane, while I stayed by the entrance to smoke a cigarette. At one point, I started talking to some girl, who seemed very nice and friendly. I ended up talking to her for nearly ten minutes, long after my cigarette was finished, until her friends came by in the car to pick her up.

My friends asked me what took me so long, and when I told them the story, they were just as amazed as I was. One of them joked: "maybe that's [the Vicodin] the secret to picking up girls". Interestingly, the whole time I was very comfortable and relaxed, even though I usually get tense when attempting to talk to a girl in a typical social situation.