Malcolm X's family files wrongful death suit

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 5:14 pm

Malcolm X's family to file $100 million wrongful death lawsuit, alleging cover up of his murder

Quote:
The family of Malcolm X announced Tuesday they intend to file a $100 million wrongful death lawsuit against U.S. government agencies and the NYPD for allegedly concealing evidence related to the assassination of the civil rights leader, who was shot and killed while speaking at the Audubon Ballroom in New York City on Feb. 21, 1965.

Two of Malcom X’s daughters, along with their attorneys Ben Crump and Ray Hamlin, spoke out at a press conference at The Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center in New York City on Tuesday, nearly six decades after their father’s death.

Ilyasah Shabazz, Malcolm X's daughter, said that the family is seeking “justice” for a man “who gave his life for human rights.”

“For years our family has fought for the truth to come to light concerning his murder, and we'd like our father to receive the justice that he deserves,” she said. “The truth about the circumstances leading to the death of our father is important – not only to his family, but to many followers, many admirers … And it is our hope that litigation of this case will finally provide some unanswered questions. We want justice served for our father.”

Crump said that the lawsuit will name the city of New York, the state of New York, the NYPD, FBI and the CIA as defendants.

“If the government compensated the two gentlemen that were wrongfully convicted for the assassination of Malcolm X with tens of millions of dollars, then what is to be the compensation for the daughters who suffered the most from the assassination of Malcolm X?” Crump said.

Muhammad Abdul Aziz and Khalil Islam – the two men who were exonerated in the 1965 assassination of Malcolm X – received a $36 million settlement in Oct. 2022 after lawsuits were filed on their behalf in 2021 against both the city and the state of New York.

New York City agreed to pay $26 million in settling a lawsuit filed on behalf of Aziz and also Islam, who was exonerated posthumously in the killing. Meanwhile, the state of New York also agreed to pay an additional $10 million.
The lawsuits came after Vance, the former district attorney, moved to vacate the convictions of Aziz and Islam in Nov. 2021 after an investigation found "newly discovered evidence and the failure to disclose exculpatory evidence."

The two-year probe, which was launched by Vance, attorneys David Shanies and Deb Francois and the Innocence Project, also found that the FBI failed to disclose documents that cast doubt on the involvement of Aziz and Islam in Malcolm X’s murder.

Vance apologized last year on behalf of law enforcement for “serious, unacceptable violations of law and the public trust.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 5:53 am

Malcolm X has one of the most brilliant and incredible true stories in the entire history of America. White Americans pretend not to know who he was. His speeches were electrifying. His transformation as a human being incredible and inspiring.

He stood out among the dull idiots who lived in the early 1960s in America (from all backgrounds), he was an imposing figure both physically and intellectually.

But a shining luminary like X was bound to draw enemies (and he had plenty). I don't agree with malcolm's family. They are just using his legacy to attack the government. I have read a lot of biographies on Malcolm X and watched documentaries. I think the leadership nation of islam saw him as a dangerous threat to their own influence and were intensely jealous of clean, personal integrity and high moral values (this contrasted with scandal ridden corrupt leadership of Elijah Mohammed and Martin Luther King).

The FBI and US intelligence also saw him as a dangerous threat on a number of levels. I think Elijah Mohammed was the one who put a hit on him. But the American authorities were probably happy to see his body buried 6 feet under.

Malcolm X's family really are too spineless to go after the nation of islam.