Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GritGrl23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2023, 9:25 am

Both of my autistic children ,( age 12 and 19) when asked to set the table, will leave whatever is on the table( a pencil, a book, a phone, a bag of chips, random stuff guests placed there,) place the plates, utensils, napkins, cups .. around the items. The final product looks crazy! Does anyone else experience this? Also why do they do this? Is it an attempt to avoid asking the owners of the items on the table to move them? Do they not want to move the items and hurt its feelings?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2023, 11:40 pm

I was taught that step one to setting a table is to clear the table. That didn't mean it all had to be put away properly tho. Things that were obvious, put them away. Everything else, find a box, another table top, whatever to deal with it all later. But one can't set an unclear table.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 7:18 am

Younger Aspies tend to tasks tasks literally. It might be a good idea to say, "Could you clear and set the table".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 11:18 am

Because they don't want to move the stuff/don't consider it part of the assigned task.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 1:07 pm

I'm inclined to agree with the 'be more specific' talk. I'd be breaking it down for them, first you clear off the table, this is where all that stuff is to be placed, then set the table. I'd also mention to the kids that if they don't want their stuff getting moved/touched then don't leave it on the table. Thinking on my own children, I had two of them who would go nuts if a sibling touched their stuff...telling them, hey, you don't want it touched, don't leave it on the table would have been sufficient to keep them from fussing about it later. Not sure if your kids would do that, but mine sure would've :lol:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 12:04 pm

Have you ever taught them how a table should be set? Have you actually shown them? You might want to try that.

Wreck It Ralph

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2023, 6:11 pm

I push the stuff out of the way toward the center of the table. It doesn’t bother me. Now the table is set. I’m 54.