Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 11:21 am

The Correlation Between Autism and Disordered Eating That Everyone Needs To Understand

Quote:
While growing up, Seren Sonell, a 32-year-old theater artist in New York City, had an aversion to hard, crunchy, and cold foods, as well as fruits and vegetables. Food aversions are common among people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), especially children, and Sonell, who has autism, has eaten a limited diet for as long as she can remember.

During her senior year of college, Sonell's coursework became overwhelming and required increasing amounts of her attention. This led her to avoid components of her life that were hard or required extra effort. In light of her food restrictions, meal preparation fell into that "not so easy to do" category, and she ended up eating just one meal per day. “The resultant weight loss was really exciting to me,” Sonell says. "It became addicting." Along with food aversions, autism traits such as cognitive rigidity (needing to do things a certain way) can lead to this kind of restriction around one’s diet.

Research suggests an overlap exists between autism and eating disorders: Around 20 to 35 percent of women with anorexia, compared to just one percent of the general population of women, meet the criteria for autism.

Similar correlations exist between autism and other eating disorders, like bulimia and binge eating disorder. People with autism are also more likely to end up diagnosed with avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID), which involves highly restricted or selective eating that is not motivated by body image issues.

Eating disorders are common among people with autism, and may present differently than they do for people who are neurotypical.

In addition to food aversions and difficulties with body awareness, a number of other traits associated with autism may contribute to eating disorders. Some people with autism, for instance, are prone to body-image distortions due to differences in how they process visual information. While people who are neurotypical are more likely to look at themselves and see all of their features together, people with autism may be prone to fixating on a singular body part.

People with autism are also susceptible to feelings of overwhelm and overstimulation due to their sensory sensitivity and difficulty in processing emotions. "This can lead to feelings that are difficult to manage, and disordered eating can become a way to get a hold on these emotions," says Corrie Goldberg, PhD, a licensed clinical psychologist who works with people who are neurodiverse.

"Those with autism are more likely to have experienced subtle and direct feedback throughout their lifetime that they should behave in ways that feel unnatural to them, known as masking, in order to better fit in with peers or with broader society,” says Dr. Goldberg. “This pressure to deny their own instincts and prioritize the comfort of others can contribute to a decreased ability to notice and respond to their own needs in a healthy way, which can extend to their relationship with food and their bodies.”

This is one of the many reasons why people with autism benefit from seeing providers who are open to them expressing themselves however feels natural to them, rather than expecting them to act like people who are neurotypical. “I have a client who tends to ‘giggle’ when stating thoughts from the eating disorder,” says Michelle Hunt, LMHC, NCC, a licensed therapist with Empower Your Mind Therapy. “While this could be assumed to mean that she is not taking the eating disorder seriously, as stated by other providers, what it actually means is that the eating disorder thoughts create sensory overload, which in turn needs to be expelled. In this case, the expulsion of the energy is giggling.”

Finally, another common feature of autism is “over-reliance on routines and more rigid thinking, which usually comes with 'rules,'” explains licensed clinical psychologist Jephtha Tausig, PhD. This, she says, can translate to rigid behaviors around food.

For a person with autism at any age, developing a healthy relationship with food may involve finding healthy meals to eat that don’t trigger dietary aversions or cause digestive issues, which are also common in people with autism," says Cash. You might slowly introduce foods into your diet that are similar to ones you already like, and then, eventually, you'll end up with a diversified diet and fewer aversions. For instance, Cash worked with one four-year-old who almost exclusively ate chicken nuggets and would have meltdowns when their parents tried to serve vegetables. This child had more success learning to eat mozzarella sticks and fish sticks before tackling broccoli and brussels sprouts.

Some signs of eating disorders resemble signs of autism, making it easy to unintentionally overlook certain symptoms in people with autism. “Weight fluctuations, menstrual irregularities, dizziness, syncope [fainting], feeling cold all the time, weakness, and fatigue should not be ignored in any person who also has autism spectrum disorder," says Anna Tanner, MD, FAAP, FSAHM, CEDS-S, vice president for the Department of Child and Adolescent Medicine at Veritas Collaborative eating disorder treatment center and The Emily Program. "They should instead be evaluated by an experienced professional with a background in eating disorders.”

For instance, people with autism may need to pace or move around to discharge feelings of overwhelm after eating, says Hunt. “Splitting therapy sessions in half—half of the time dedicated to food, the other half processing—can be beneficial, as is adding more sessions throughout the week at varying times,” Hunt says. “Find providers who can empathize with the sensory processing needs.”

About two years after her one-meal-a-day routine began, Sonell realized her eating was disordered and began trying to eat in a more balanced manner. She left school to reduce her stress, and her eating improved as well.

Sonell also learned to lean in to one of her autism traits: her desire for order. “I have a brain that craves and thrives in strict structure, so I've actually started planning roughly the same times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” she says. “I'm also really careful to always keep some of my 'safe' foods around—things that, taste and texture-wise, are basically universally pleasant for me.” This way, Sonell says that she always has something that she finds palatable and comfortable to eat.

Recovery for anyone, whether they have autism or not, is not just about normalizing eating: It’s an emotional and spiritual journey. Recovery is also an ongoing process, which means it may require a caregiver to forgive moments of relapse as well as celebrate small victories along the way.

The one major flaw in the article is their use of the word recovery. They probably mean recovery from eating disorders not autism but that is left vague. Since autism is mostly genetic autism is not something you recover from.

I would not dismiss the article because they use “recovery”. This is not your typical article which autism is linked with so and so problem. Bad autistics. It demonstrates why autism may cause eating disorders. It is important when giving advice to not say “do this” without explanation. Also advice was given on how to use autistic traits to mitigate or solve eating disorders. If you need professional help go to somebody familiar with autism and eating disorders. That is advice we often give here. If only they would advise us on how to find these people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 10:10 pm

Thank you for this. It's the first time I've seen the term avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID). That would fit me during college which was very stressful. I didn't know how to explain what was going on, so I joked that I was an "honorary bulimic" (since it was unintentional). The doctor suggested I moderate my fat (and sugar and everything?) intake. That helped.

Thirty years later and I still practice avoidant/restrictive food intake, trying to stay on the health side of it rather than disorder. Even in the past five years I've been blind-sided a number of times by a combination of certain foods, or a spicy food, or even a food I typically eat that is somehow "too much" that day. Throw in a migraine which slows down the digestive system and yuck. Tricky, so tricky. So many factors that make a "safe" meal, "unsafe" another time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 4:51 pm

I can relate to it. I'm not as severely affected as some, but I'm averse to enough foods to give me some worryingly low numbers in my nutrient intake profile. I'm also averse to spending anything above the bare minimum necessary time preparing food (because it seems such a mundane thing), I often can't be bothered to eat until I'm really hungry, and as I also don't trust most processed "ready meals," I ended up with a somewhat restricted diet of just a few acceptable meals that I've standardised quite tightly so I can prepare them with the minimum of fuss and bother (same amounts of same ingredients and same procedure every time). They're all quite healthy ingredients, but like I say my nutrient balance for certain vitamins and minerals was way off the ideal.

Luckily I quite like nerdy projects, so it wasn't too painful for me to calculate my nutrient intake and figure out comfortable ways of correcting the deficiencies I discovered - chiefly adding fractions of the contents of supplement capsules to my meals rather than eating food I dislike, or swallowing the maker's suggested doses of a plethora of supplements, which in most cases are ridiculously high.

I've been feeling somewhat better physically since I made those interventions. I can't prove cause and effect, but at least I'm reasonably sure now that my diet is adequate.

As for pigging out on unhealthy foods, I've done my share of that in my time, but as long as I've got my own ready-made, convenient portions of healthy food to hand, it hasn't been too hard for me to substitute those.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 5:19 pm

I've struggled with eating disorders, but I think it was more due to situational factors than autism.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 5:36 pm

My food issues are mostly executive function.

Whether it's to do with sensory regulation, issues with time management or just self monitoring behavioral changes due to certain food intake.

And, I already had ways to figure how to overcome particular sensitivities. It helps that I'm drawn to novelty and contrast.

Now the issue I'm trying to wrestle is about intake and when.
A good portion of my circadian cycle related issues came from the fact that I've been overfed (I kept cleaning the plates in expense of my comfort) and no actual routines around eating (which do contribute with my sleep issues).

The rest is just budgeting and all around knowledge around food.

And eventually knowing how much is what is healthy, what makes me react in subtle ways that can directly affect my cognition because I have this stupid sensitivity. It may be because of my dad's side of having diabetes.

Maybe when the time comes, my restrictions would be entirely based on how my body and mind subtly react (that I cannot cope no thanks to said sensitivities) than something like weight and body image (I inherited something from my mom that seem to make weight gain more difficult).

I do not have this picture in my head of what healthy eating looks like.

Only data from outside observations around this particular subtle reaction that affects my executive function. Food is just one factor related to this, so it'll extend throughout the other parts of my lifestyle.

I would've been easily obsessed with biohacking if I were rich enough to afford it.

I do not have an eating disorder.
I only have executive dysfunctions, a particular biological sensitivity I've been fighting to go around with, and in need of playing catch up.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 8:17 pm

I never was officially dx'd with it, but I relate a lot to arfid. I had food issues since I was a child and it lasted well into adulthood. I didn't really get to working on my food issues until I was 40 or so. I never was hospitalized for it, but my food aversions were severe enough to make me quite underweight, malnourished, so on. My relationship with food was maladaptive and then some. There were so few things I'd eat...part smell, texture, taste issues...part fear of getting a stomach ache. If something made me feel sick once, I'd never eat it again. By the time I was in my 30's I had like four or five things I'd eat. It was messed up. I'm better about it now, but I still have food quirks and can be really picky. I also struggle to know if I'm even hungry or not. I used to just eat when I'd get sugar crashy or my stomach would be growling, but now I try to keep to a schedule. I still struggle to feel hunger cues if they aren't severe. Food and I have a dysfunctional relationship, but it's better now than it used to be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 12:49 pm

Autistic Traits and Eating Disorders

Quote:
Autism and Anorexia
The overlap between repetitive and rigid behaviors is one example of the commonalities between anorexia nervosa and autism. Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by rigid attitudes and behaviors surrounding food, weight, and body image. These narrow interests and repetitive behaviors mirror the preoccupation with certain objects and/or topics in autism.

Research shows that the prevalence of autism in anorexia populations is between 8% and 37%, with an average of 22.9%. These rates are dramatically higher than the reported autistic prevalence in the general population, which is about 1%.

Autism and ARFID

The overlap in hyperreactivity to sensory input is one example of the commonalities between ARFID and autism. In fact, the overlap is so significant that research shows up to 30% of individuals who struggle with ARFID also have an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis.

A common attribute of ARFID is a hyperreactivity to the sensory components of foods leading individuals to avoid new foods or only eat a small variety of options. One diagnostic feature of autism is repetitive or restrictive patterns. Within this diagnostic category are several examples, including the need to eat the same food every day and/or a hypersensitivity to sensory input. Both diagnostic features can be traits of individuals diagnosed with ARFID.

Unique Considerations for Female-Identifying Individuals
Masking
Selective mutism or extreme quietness
Special interests in “socially accepted” topics
Misdiagnosis
: Nearly 50% of all females with autism are misdiagnosed at least once in their lifetimes. Common misdiagnoses given to females with autism are borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder.
Food aversions and sensitivities that progress into eating disorder behaviors: Due to societal pressures surrounding beauty standards and how to behave, females with autism are more likely to develop eating disorders, such as anorexia or ARFID.

Female Autistic Characteristics and Risk of an Eating Disorder
Misdiagnosis leading to internalized shame: Females with autism are far more likely to go misdiagnosed, which leads to treatment interventions unrelated or damaging to their actual challenges. Misdiagnosis and improper treatment lead many individuals to hold on to shame regarding who they are rather than an understanding of how to celebrate their unique interaction with the world.

Social ostracization: Social ostracization and bullying aren’t only experienced by females with autism. However, due to improper or a lack of diagnosis, social ostracization among females can lead teachers, parents, and professionals to respond in ways that are unsupportive. For example, an undiagnosed autistic female is mute in the classroom due to social confusion and extreme social anxiety. A parent may respond by saying, “You need to talk to more people.” Though the parent is trying to offer advice and support, this statement may lead to further social confusion and internalized shame for not being able to “just talk more.”

Societal pressures: Females have the unique challenge of managing intense societal pressures. Society has strong expectations for how females should act and appear. These expectations, in addition to the social confusion and rigidity experienced by autistic females, may lead to rigid patterns and repetitive behaviors with food.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 5:24 pm

Had eating disorders as a teen. Dominated my life at the time. Don't have those problems at all now but I don't think I have the healthiest relationship with food. Only when diagnosed on the spectrum in my 30's did the food stuff start to make more sense

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm

I have binge eating disorder (undiagnosed probably) but ive definitely talked about it to professionals. I think theres less interest in it than something more well known like anorexia and especially eating disorders in men.

I eat huge amounts to soothe sensory overload. Then i restrict for the rest of the day to make up for it.

Therapists always say oh its binge purge cycle but its not really, i can be half full and still binge because my autistic traits are unbearable.

I also have exectutive dysfunction so i struggle to cook an interesting meal, i willl just eat whats to hand. To make up for how crap and boring the food tastes, i will binge it to get a drug like effect.