No 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
Maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only on weed 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Simplyweird7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2023, 11:48 pm

So, recently I had 3 times out of body experiences where I was switching galaxies faster than speed of light, I came across one with many formulas & gadgets, in forms of tornado, but I am not a maths person, I didn’t understand most of it so just started swallowing, there were gadgets with all blueprints written clearly but moving too fast me for to hold & comprehend. I will try to do this again but slower this time, has anyone else here experienced such thing? Do you think those equations could really mean something, my forte is mostly arts & music, I never paid attention to maths during school because my teacher was an ass & people in science are perceived as nerds & geeks & nobody wants to be friends with them and I wanted friends so never paid attention but after these encounters something tells me I am in the wrong field but I don’t understand mathematics properly yet, should I invest my time in learning it now I am 22F.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 12:14 am

Only on cough syrup or K.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 12:18 am

I remember a time when I was a kid, but also that could have just been lucid dreaming, not sure.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 1:49 am

Only on hallucinogenics. And I didn't go to an astral plane, I got sucked into a piece of cannabis I was holding and there was a complete city made of neon people.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Mar 2023, 4:07 pm

It's generally better not to try and look for deeper meaning in your dreams. They're just hallucinations, they don't mean anything. The equations you saw were just garbage half-remembered from pop culture.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:22 pm

I have never experienced anything that could be called "Astral Projection", and I have never met anyone who could prove beyond any reasonable doubt that their experiences involved anything resembling "Astral Projection" -- they most likely experienced lucid or vivid dreams, or possibly something like hallucinations.  Maybe they were even making it all up.

:shrug:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:55 pm

No harm in learning more about math. Best case scenario, you learn some cool stuff. Worse, you're out some time.

As for astral projection, I never have had that happen to me. One of my ex's swore she could do that stuff. I tend to be a bit of a skeptic and doubt it, but who knows. It was at least real to her.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 12:16 am

Only in a couple of dreams, and they were just something my brain made up. I don't believe that real astral projection exists, I think it's just an attractive myth. Those dreams were a lot of fun though.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 12:24 am

Remember: You can't fly on the astral plane with unchecked emotional baggage.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 5:50 am

If you treat it as a dream...it could have meaning. Maybe math is your real calling. Or not. No way of knowing if its a real astral projection though.

====

Have never astrally projected myself though. Have tried though. Even listening to Sun Ra, while smoking weed, doesnt get me to actually astrally project.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 6:13 am

when i was on the operating room table or shortly afterwards, i had an exceptionally vivid dream that i was flying in heaven.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 12:26 pm

I don't really buy into astral projection. That said, one of my favorite books of all time is The Door To December by Dean Koontz. If you're into astral projection, you MUST give that book a read!

I'm into music, too. I'm 44 years old and STILL feel like I'm trying to find my place. As far as math and music goes, let me tell you about my experience.

Late in my undergrad years I discovered 12-tone music and electronic music. I got an opportunity to study music composition at the Crane School of Music in Potsdam, NY where I got to study integral serialism of Webern, Boulez, and Babbitt, and the electronic works of Pierre Schaeffer, Xenakis, Wuorinen, Babbitt, Carlos, and Subotnik. By 2003 I was deep into algorithmic composition. But my coding skills were...nonexistent, unfortunately, so for several years I was working out musical compositions on spreadsheets.

Eventually (about the last 7 years) I did start learning how to code. My "gateway drug" was PureData because everything was visual and fairly straightforward, and I used it to realize some of my ideas from back in my Potsdam years. After using PureData for generating MIDI data, I figured out that Python was MUCH more agile than PureData, at least for what I was trying to do. PureData has Python beat for sound synthesis, but that's another topic.

Anyway, I coded an automatic music generator based on some concepts I explored in my master's thesis and expanded on that. Most recently I converted all of my music generation code to use TensorFlow. It works flawlessly, of course. But TensorFlow is intended for researching Artificial Intelligence. I'm in the process of learning what TensorFlow machine learning models can do for creating algorithmic music. Trust me, all of this math and data science is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY above my pay grade. Yet I'm in a good position in my life to explore it without any external pressure or time constraints.

My purpose for making music is to help with insomnia and ease nightmares. The purpose of algorithmically generating music is that conventional music is intended to capture the attention of an audience. Using algorithms eliminates the element of human decision-making from one note to the next, which means notes and control data by themselves don't grab the ear and create distraction. ALL musical elements are based on numbers drawn from a Gaussian distribution and rounded to create numerical interval relationships that are difficult to distinguish. Patterns are built from these relationships which gives each composition organic unity that you don't get in any music that is generated purely at random. The patterns can get long enough that they are undetectable, but I prefer to keep patterns between 8 and 16 notes. And since time is included as a musical element and not constrained to a beat or subdivision of a beat, there is a sense of timelessness to my music. However...I'm also rethinking the wisdom of that and might go in the direction of using the Euclidean algorithm (or something like it) as a way of locking music in time. With pitches I use synthetic scales based on melakartas, which means everything is diatonic, although not diatonic in a strictly Western sense. Unlike 12-tone music, dissonances are not preferred. Unlike Western diatonicism, consonances are not preferred. Both consonance and dissonance are welcome and there is no rules-based resolution of dissonance to consonance like in Western common-practice era classical music (although I'm not above that...Palestrina's music is beautiful. I'll save that for version 3.0. lol). But the timelessness, meandering quality of it creates a unique sound space that could be helpful for falling asleep or for concentration/studying, depending on how much caffeine or melatonin is in your system at any given time.

A lot of the music is very dark and sometimes unsettling. But my human guinea pig has mostly had a good experience with it. She suffered a lot of mental and physical abuse in a past relationship and suffered severe PTSD because of it. She's been prone to insomnia and nightmares ever since. Once I started experimenting with this new-for-me kind of music, a lot of the ongoing problems she seems to have had has been reversed.

It's not that my music is made up of sophisticated mathematical algorithms that tap into unseen corners of the mind. All I've done is expand the 12-tone matrix into an organizational structure that incorporates multiple dimensions via supercubes, Each 2-dimensional matrix is composed of transformations of ordered Gaussian numbers--prime, retrograde, inversion, retrograde-inversion. For pitch, these numbers are scaled and rounded to integers which point to an array index which determines which note will be played. For timing, these numbers are scaled in a similar way and point to a time-point index that determines WHEN the note will sound. Another 2D matrix governs velocity/volume level, Another 2D determines control data, like filters, FM mod index, etc.

Since notes and data aren't important to the composition, my focus turns to sound design. It's not about the data. It's about how dreamy the sounds are. It's about making the sounds as neutral as possible without letting them become irritating. And that means that velocity and control data have a noticeable influence on the timbre. There has to be a natural-sounding rise/fall to each note. Complexity in a sound is fine, but complex timbres have to blend and blur into each other. Complexity simply builds a sound without attracting attention to itself. My system doesn't handle sound generation, just MIDI data. With time, I bet I could create an AI to handle that part of the task, but for the time being I don't mind programming synths.

I agree you shouldn't go too deep in your dreams. But don't ignore your dreams, either. Some part of you wants to explore a world of creativity. Whether astral projection is real or not, stay open to worlds most of us wouldn't dare to consider even exist, not even in the imagination.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 12:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If you treat it as a dream...it could have meaning. Maybe math is your real calling. Or not. No way of knowing if its a real astral projection though.

====

Have never astrally projected myself though. Have tried though. Even listening to Sun Ra, while smoking weed, doesnt get me to actually astrally project.

I'm thinking maybe it's more lucid dreaming. I've done that a few times before. Too much effort to repeat it, and I've never gotten it to work out real-world problems. Kudos to people who lucid dream on a regular basis. As a matter of personal preference I avoid ingesting chemicals, but you can't go wrong listening to Sun Ra.

A problem I have working creatively with dreams is that there is a sort of logic that ONLY works in dreams. I've had that experience where I'd have a musical idea in a dream and immediately had to get to work on it before I lost it. But most of the time when an idea would hit in a dream, I'd start working on it and then I'd be like, ok this is DUMB. It made sense 20 minutes ago before I woke up, but there's no way this idea is going to work.

I imagine with dreaming up worlds of math formulas, the math formulas make sense in the dream world, but they are completely disconnected in the real world. I think it would be the coolest thing in the world to focus on math formulas in the music I'm making right now. But experience has shown time and time again that data from the natural world, while useful in many ways, rarely makes sense in what we normally think of as music. The musical system I invented for sleep yields musical results by design. Radio emissions from Alpha Centauri...not so much. You can convert astronomical measurements such as orbits, rotation, light wavelengths, and distances into sound data. You can even represent the chemical composition of air as "clouds" of sound, complete with density and the probability of any given gas being present within a volume of air. But you also will find that those kinds of things are extremely random as far as anyone can tell, and because you're dealing with a SPECTRUM of data, it ends up all sounding like white noise. It's not really musical. So using math formulas, astronomical data, laws of physics, or whatever doesn't really amount to much when what you really want to do is creative work.

And it's not just about music. It's anything. If you dream up worlds of math formulas, exactly what do you intend to do with all this new-found knowledge? I'm not saying that it's a dumb idea. I'm just saying it's helpful to have some purpose to guide what you intend to do. For me, translating random numbers or data into listenable music means working from one single data point to the next. Xenakis would represent large volumes of data in his compositions simultaneously, meaning violin players had general instructions of how fast they could bow a tremolo within certain limits. He pioneered granular synthesis by describing tremolos and pizzicato playing as "grains" of sound that could be organized into "clouds." It's interesting. Just hard to listen to because it's so harsh the way he did it. If I were going to make music with math formulas, I suppose I'd write them all on strips of paper and put them on a dartboard. I'd set up a couple of loops that would define musical events based on these formulas, and I'd work through those SLOWLY.

If the direction you're going is to spark the imagination or do something artistic rather than something more logical or practical, then you can do whatever you want to do with a dream. If you have a plan to, say, combine fusion and ionic propulsion for space travel, then you MIGHT want to concentrate your efforts on what you learn in the waking world.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 2:17 pm

I wish.

I could barely lucid dream despite being able to recall plenty of dreams.

And if I had able to lucid dream, whenever I tried to fly, it's always this ability to jump really high and glide to maintain altitude...
Or shifting through dimensions of time and space, even teleportation and becoming bodiless and omniscient like narrator.

But practically never a full blown gravity-disregarding flight.
The only time I had, was this really weird dream that I'm floating over some fence and everything is black -- or that's how I interpret it, both recognizable and not recognizable at the same time.
Also not in control, I felt like I'm stuck in some glitch like state and couldn't go higher than the fence as if playing a game with a character on a poorly configured game controller.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.