Can't stand people who are intolerant of tolerance

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 12:57 pm

I feel glad that I live in a part of the world that is tolerant and gives people the right to express their opinions and has the freedom to do as they please but I am well aware that there maybe some people still out there who are racist, homophobic, transphobic, the list goes on and we do still some of those types of people even in this country and I sometimes I do feel like I can't stand those people even if they maybe are out in public expressing their opinions to people they don't know and may look to some like they are ramming their beliefs down their throats but I can choose not to listen to them and walk away.

I remember some religious person with microphone expressing the religious belief he had and then started saying that certain things were all lies including evolution. I remember even being approached by two girls trying to persuade me to join their church and at one point asked me where would I go when I die, I actually said I might go into Limbo if Heaven or Hell exists but I should have been honest and said they I would probably go to Hell because I don't worship the Christian faith and I am probably an atheist despite the fact that I was baptised in Church and have a christian sounding name called Christopher so it has made me think I shouldn't be called that name if I decided not to practice the Christian faith. They did in the end let me go and decide for myself to join them or not so at least they were not the type who seem like they are holding you captive until you convert to their religion.

I was surprised to find that my country, the UK wasn't even on a list of tolerant countries in the world, the most tolerant were countries like Canada, New Zealand, and Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Finland). I sometimes wonder why people even in many other countries are intolerant of tolerance. I don't know if its because its a ''tribal'' thing because some human beings can't or sometimes find it hard to tolerate those whose beliefs, cultures, world views etc are different to their own. I bet that explains why wars erupt and authoritarian/totalitarian regimes arise.