UCLA student hid the fact he was autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2023, 12:13 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/hid-autistic-during-first-few-201610389.html

I found an article a lot of us can probably relate to.

Cliffnotes: Student hid the fact he was autistic (and attempted to do "normal person" stuff like parties, sports games, etc). He ended up wearing himself thin. Eventually he realized the best strategy is to embrace his autism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:05 am

I actually know what percentage of students in universities in Australia are autistic/ADHD. it's around 12%
The suspicion in university circles is there is even more students who are NT passing and certain STEM related courses (Math and Physics) the staff are likely undiagnosed.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2023, 2:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I actually know what percentage of students in universities in Australia are autistic/ADHD. it's around 12%
The suspicion in university circles is there is even more students who are NT passing and certain STEM related courses (Math and Physics) the staff are likely undiagnosed.

Yeah, I'm NT-passing. Hardly anyone knows I'm on the spectrum. You're right, the true number could be even higher.

Then this is probably because I'm NT-passing, but I would often get invited to various social events in my school years (to this day I do too), even though I had no desire whatsoever to go.

Most the time, I put my foot down and refuse to go (which the normies don't always take kindly to). But just like the student in the article, I have to do what's best for me; not what normies WANT me to do.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:43 pm

My worthless corpse went to UCSD age 18 to 24.

Year 2007 graduated

Autism diagnosed 21

There was nothing for me to "hide" because at the time I didn't have a diagnosis

Besides even when I gave the Office of Students with Disabilities the diagnostic report, the director acted like I made the whole thing up. UCSD did not grant me testing accommodations or anything else like that

So, even after I got diagnosed there was nothing to "hide"

Precious lil "people" at UCSD, students, instructors and etc, just blamed me for my autism symptoms and laughed at me

Just like precious lil "people" with zero UCSD affiliation

You don't have to disclose if you don't want to

There is nothing wrong with failure to disclose

Disclosure has advantages and disadvantages