Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AloofCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm

Anyone here struggle with ARFID? I’m thinking of going to my GP (I live in the UK) but I’m scared they will dismiss me. How does the assessment work for an ARFID diagnosis in the UK work specifically? Is it straightforward or does it have a lot of steps in it?

Last edited by AloofCat on 10 Mar 2023, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 2:49 pm

ARFID is fairly common among those on the spectrum. I wouldn't worry about it being dismissed by your GP. If it is though, its a very good sign that you need another one. Not sure of how it works in the UK exactly, but I when I discussed it, I got a referral for more specialized treatment.

The Link below can give you more info specifically for those in the UK:

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/ ... pes/arfid/

I hope it helps... :-) And Welcome to Wrong Planet!

AloofCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2023, 4:58 pm

Thank you and yeah, I already talked to Beat about ARFID, I’m just nervous about seeing a GP about it if i get a diagnosis of ASD, they might dismiss it as part of that instead of something separate which is what I'm worrying about even though i have all the symptoms of ARFID and it’s also relatively new disorder

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 7:27 pm

Don't worry...its not likely your GP will be dismissive. ARFID is often comorbid with ADHD. ASD, and other disorders. No one is likely to tell you is just because you have ASD.