Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:47 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Because I really don't. It's just a bunch of egomaniacs getting a big ego boost for some mediocre movies. And occasionally a celebrity tries to do something 'controversial' like Will Smith's slap or Lady Gaga showing up in a dress made of raw meat. I find it all incredibly pretentious. :|

I never thought the Oscars an event hosted by a bunch of pretentious people but I am sure that's correct. I know what you mean too because go back and look at Leo's speech from 2016. While we waited for years for him to finally crawl for an oscar, he said a bunch of things he didn't need to say about the environment.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 12:49 pm

Not much these days.

I have good memories of getting up at 3am to watch it when I was younger and a film student. Then it moved to Sky and no one had Sky so there was a period before pirate bay when you just didn't get to see the whole show.

Before the internet made every moment of these people's lives available to us, the Oscars were one of the few times we got to see movie stars outside of their films. The Oscars felt special to me.

I think it's safe to say the gild has more or less completely rubbed off now. There aren't many people left making movies that interest me.

I don't have that negative reaction some do to movie stars moralising. I tend to like entertainment folk in general and don't see why they shouldn't have an opinion or use whatever star power they've accumulated to voice it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 1:33 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

I don't have that negative reaction some do to movie stars moralising. I tend to like entertainment folk in general and don't see why they shouldn't have an opinion or use whatever star power they've accumulated to voice it.

It's not having an opinion or using some of their star power that bothers me. It's when they act like hypocrites about it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:00 pm

Two words: Harvey Weinstein

The sordid underbelly of abuse in the entertainment industry makes me wanna hurl.

Also, this story about Loretta Young's secret, illegitimate daughter with Clark Gable will make your skin crawl.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/an ... etta-young

It destroyed any trust I had in the Silver Screen era, as I know Samuel Goldwyn (MGM) was corrupt too.

I hate what Hollywood does to women in particular, but to all aspiring artists and BIPOC.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

It's not having an opinion or using some of their star power that bothers me. It's when they act like hypocrites about it.

You are, of course, welcome to feel bothered by anything you like. For me, hypocrite is one of those judgements, like pretension, that are overused to the point they have little value. They tend to be used, consciously or unconsciously, to retroactively justify a gut dislike of the person in question. Gut dislikes are fine by me. I have plenty.

But hipocrisy, for me, must be contrived for the charge to stick. All humans are inconsistent, flawed and subject to blind spots in their own thinking and behaviour. As I tend to agree with most of the left wing positions of prominent actors, I find it easier to forgive. That's all.

I can also understand IsabellaLinton's revulsion. I can't write off the entire industry because of the actions of some awful people in that industry, though. And I don't see that the movie industry is particularly special in its exploitation and mistreatment of vulnerable people, beyond its heightened visibility. There are good people and monsters everywhere.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Two words: Harvey Weinstein

The sordid underbelly of abuse in the entertainment industry makes me wanna hurl.

Also, this story about Loretta Young's secret, illegitimate daughter with Clark Gable will make your skin crawl.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/an ... etta-young

It destroyed any trust I had in the Silver Screen era, as I know Samuel Goldwyn (MGM) was corrupt too.

I hate what Hollywood does to women in particular, but to all aspiring artists and BIPOC.

Don't forget monsters like Kevin Spacey and Bill Cosby.

You know? I guess instead of saying "hypocrites" since apparently that word has no real meaning I should have used a different terminology to describe Hollowood's elite, like "rapists" and "murderers". :roll:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:25 pm

Yes, but Cosby and Spacey weren't producers.
They weren't hiring and firing women based on their extracurricular merits.
At least, not to the same extent.

Hypocrite really isn't the right word.
You're looking for misogynist, abuser, extortionist, SAer, and more criminal terminology.

Of course this isn't reflective of all people in the industry but it's why I don't trust the industry.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:28 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I can also understand IsabellaLinton's revulsion. I can't write off the entire industry because of the actions of some awful people in that industry, though. And I don't see that the movie industry is particularly special in its exploitation and mistreatment of vulnerable people, beyond its heightened visibility. There are good people and monsters everywhere

Agreed. I just don't feel comfortable feeding the Goliath until I know the problem is in check.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Of course this isn't reflective of all people in the industry but it's why I don't trust the industry.

Do you feel there is something particularly odious when these crimes are committed in the movie industry though?

More so than say fashion or women's sports for example?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:42 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Because I really don't. It's just a bunch of egomaniacs getting a big ego boost for some mediocre movies. And occasionally a celebrity tries to do something 'controversial' like Will Smith's slap or Lady Gaga showing up in a dress made of raw meat. I find it all incredibly pretentious. :|

Jada Pinkett Smith was right about one thing when it comes to the Oscars

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:55 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Do you feel there is something particularly odious when these crimes are committed in the movie industry though?

More so than say fashion or women's sports for example?

Yes, because of Hollywood's legendary allure, its promotion of beauty, fame, luxury, success, and now even social justice. Hollywood films have an impact on finance and the economy, class, marketing, cultural awareness, race, gender, popular culture, rhetoric, fashion, history, IT, tech, politics, ethics, activism, women's rights, cancel culture, mental health, religion, ableism and disability rights... the whole nine yards. I could go on. :twisted: They set the bar on what is acceptable.

My daughter is screenwriter, mostly in television, and we know a lot of the behind the scenes BS so I guess I'm a little biased. She's spent a lot of time at Film Festivals and working with writers from around the world.

* Not invalidating the abuse in sports, but sports and particularly women's sport isn't as influential worldwide as a Hollywood blockbuster, or the zeitgeist behind one.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 4:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Jada Pinkett Smith was right about one thing when it comes to the Oscars

I watched it one year, forget which, and there was a movie about autism or an autistic actress, forget which lol. They did a big speech about autism awareness and celebrated how wonderfully progressive they were, while the autistic woman sat in that theatre with bright spotlights and pounding music, wearing a ridiculously uncomfortable yet sexy dress and 4" stilettos she could barely walk in. I can only imagine how much the place stank of perfume. There were no accommodations in the event for autistic people or people with any disabilities / differences like Epilepsy. If I'd won an award I would have rolled in wearing my pyjamas and no bra, with noise-cancelling headphones and my tinted glasses. I would have told them all where to put their autism awareness, too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 4:34 pm

My mom, my NT sister, and I didn't watch the entirety of this year's ceremony yesterday, but
my NT sister and I found out one of our favorite actors won his first Oscar well after the ceremony finished.

The actor is Brendan Fraser who won Best Actor for his performance in The Whale.

If you are a mod and are reading this, I would to post the video of Brendan Fraser's acceptance speech
here in this thread.

Everyone, do you think Brendan Fraser is giving a "real" reaction to his win or is faking it?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 4:39 pm

I guess part of the reason I dislike the Oscars is not only because of the pretentious Hollowood snobs who preach to all us commoners and peasants about morals but because I just don't like their movies anymore...

Nowadays I find myself watching foreign or older indie horror movies. I enjoy a LOT of these movies now on Tubi TV. Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Rosemary's Baby, Nosferatu, Zombie, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Hell of the Living Dead (terrible but I love it :lol: ), Ju-On, Ju-On 2, Dagon, etc...

And I love the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax poking fun of crap old movies.

Apparently my taste in movies would never be Oscar-worthy. :mrgreen:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:10 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Everyone, do you think Brendan Fraser is giving a "real" reaction to his win or is faking it?

I've watched neither the movie nor his acceptance speech but I'd question how 'real' its possible to be in that scenario? The whole set-up is performative.

I've listened to a couple of interviews with Brendan Fraser lately and he came across as extremely thoughtful and kind to me.

If he subsequently turns out to be a slimeball then I'll reconsider but for now I believe he's coming from a good place.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:11 pm

^^

I don't know any of those except Rosemary's Baby, which is a brilliant film that won many awards including some Oscars.

Good taste!

Of course there are some movies I know and love, it's just "the academy" I can't get behind.