Don't understand why parents don't do this

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 8:22 pm

To make it easier for your kid to come out of the closet why don't you say you enjoyed watching queer eye or something.

Maybe I'm unaware and parents do

lil_hippie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2023, 9:13 pm

Maybe not every gay relates their gayness to Queer eye which is more of an effeminate and stereotypically "bottom" show. Maybe your child might relate more to a bodybuilding show or something more masculine.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:15 pm

I used queer eye as an example, the message is you think being gay is ok.

lil_hippie

13 Mar 2023, 9:22 pm

Oh I see what you're saying. Well, as long as you're loving and accepting of them, I would just wait until they are comfortable enough to come out about it.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 7:47 pm

I haven't watched that show in a while. I don't think I cared about tvgayportrayals but the 100 nude people in a room tv show was very against my tastes lol

The less nudes per Sq. Foot the better lol. I need to breathe or something like that lol

I was watching rhod ghilbret job as an art model and he had like 5. D:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 6:33 am

I'll have to check that film out. I also don't understand why parents have to make it so hard. I'm 48 and I still haven't come out to my parents as Trans. I don't think I ever will because they make it so impossible.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 6:36 pm

Because more people from the older generations have a harder time accepting things they don't understand.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:00 pm

I watched Six Feet Under in front of my daughter from the time she was about eight years old.
There are a few graphic storylines with gay characters, men and women, as well as coming out scenes.
Her father is gay so gay relationships have been noramlised her whole life.
She came out about three years ago.
I can't even remember when, exactly.

I've always been very liberal-minded, attending Pride parades, and talking about gay parents.
It's not a big deal at all here.
Our church even has a gay minister who's been married to his partner for 25 years.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:02 pm

Parents who actually want to make it easier for their children to come out generally DO things like this. Not all parents want to make it easier for various reasons.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:05 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Because more people from the older generations have a harder time accepting things they don't understand.

My mother who is in her 80s says if she had to do it all over again she'd likely want to live with a woman whether it was a sexual relationship or not. I think older people are more accepting than we give them credit for. By the time they reach a certain age they realise the only thing that matters on this planet is love. All the rest is just head games.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

My mother who is in her 80s says if she had to do it all over again she'd likely want to live with a woman whether it was a sexual relationship or not. I think older people are more accepting than we give them credit for. By the time they reach a certain age they realise the only thing that matters on this planet is love. All the rest is just head games.

It depends on the person. My grandmother was terrified that they might teach gender theory in school. She was just about as closeminded as a person could be. :lol:

I've never been open with my parents about my pansexuality because they wouldn't accept it. People, in general, are pretty closeminded where I live.