Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2007, 4:40 pm

"It is much easier for them to fire you, then for you to quit."

Someone at a Self Advocate Conference said this in a workshop on employment.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:19 pm

That can be read in many different ways.

From your own perspective, sticking with what you know is always the easy option. Quitting carries uncertainty and risk, so it's tempting to stay in a job even though you hate it or aren't very good at it. So getting sacked can be easier than leaving - basically because getting sacked doesn't involve any effort on your part. What happens afterwards is much harder, though - less people will want to employ you if you've been sacked in the past, and you won't be able to obtain good references. Plus it'll all come as a nasty surprise.

From an employer's point of view it's easier to fire you because then they are in charge of the situation and know what is going to happen, so they can plan for it. They might also save money if, for example, you lose the right to a pension if you are sacked. If you resign, they might not be geared up to handle the consequences, plus you'll still be entitled to everything.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:24 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
"It is much easier for them to fire you, then for you to quit."

Someone at a Self Advocate Conference said this in a workshop on employment.

Actually, I have found in my own personaly experience that it is very hard for some companies to fire people for two reasons.One is that it is difficult to find people who are willing to work llow wage jobs that are very stressful and smelly work environments.I worked doing personal assistance for clients with disabilities....shower,feed,change diapers,etc.The majority of workers were from other countries.The majority of the American and "alian" workers were lazy and incompitant at their jobs and the best workers often left in frustration.

The second reason is that they dont want to deal with any law suits for firing someone who could claim discrimination and they dont want to pay unemployment insurence to fired workers and they dont want to pay for training in new employees which requires lots of paperwork......all about saving money for the company.They would much prefer making a staffs life miserable and stressful to force them to quit if they really want them gone.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 5:32 pm

Also, if they fire you, they have to play part of your unemployment, which they don't want to do. So, I disagree with the original statement. I think it's harder for them to fire you, in general!