Tensions Between Biden & Netanyahu Continue to Increase

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 4:32 pm

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/29/1166776967/biden-netanyahu-israel-us-tensions-rise

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:43 pm

They outright shouldn't be our allies. It's been roughly 20 years since they murdered Rachel Corrie and there still hasn't been any murder conviction, or relevant crimes against humanity, convictions in connection.

It is ultimately their country and they can do what they wish with it. I just wish they wouldn't be using our taxpayer dollars for it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 5:09 pm

A Lutheran pastor I personally know, who has always been an outspoken conservative (and I presume Pro-Israel), has recently returned from Israel with a very different perspective. He personally witnessed Palestinian farmland denied water and allowed to go barren, as well as Israelis dumping their garbage in Palestinian land. With that last, Palestinians are not allowed to remove said garbage without a permit. Doubtlessly, this predates Netanyahu, but it has gotten worse under him.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 8:09 pm

I think it’s important to separate support of a nation and people from support of specific political policies. In this case, the disagreement is over a specific policy proposal, and it is worth noting that the policy proposal does not have broad support among the people of the nation.

Good friends call each other out when they make mistakes that can cause long term harm.

I am glad Biden is doing just that, although I don’t know if it can change the course of what is occurring there.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 10:29 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think it’s important to separate support of a nation and people from support of specific political policies. In this case, the disagreement is over a specific policy proposal, and it is worth noting that the policy proposal does not have broad support among the people of the nation.

Good friends call each other out when they make mistakes that can cause long term harm.

I am glad Biden is doing just that, although I don’t know if it can change the course of what is occurring there.

I completely agree. At the governmental level both sides are pretty horrible, but there are still wonderful people to meet and hopefully over time those people will gain enough influence to end the whole thing. It's a shame that if not for the meddling of foreign interests that there may have been a decent one state solution like was previously the case.

People can be weird, my Jewish college room mate went over there to protest the Israeli government's policies. I'm not really sure how either side can expect to have the moral high ground when they're pretty much both fighting it out in the mud.

The fact that the German government has started to criticize Israel after all these decades of remaining silent shows just how far off the rails the government there has gotten. I don't see things calming down as long as countries are willing to send military gear into the region.