I have given up watching sports due to gambling.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2023, 12:43 am

Seeing major sports heroes do commercials for gambling apps has been one of the most depressing pop culture milestones of my life. The industry makes its money off of problem gamblers and this is not a secret.

I started out by cancelling my cable as sports was the only thing I was watching on it. This March Madness has confirmed my willpower. It was the greatest March Madness perhaps in history and I did not watch it.

It will be difficult when NFL season starts, but I think I will be better for it. I saw Wayne Gretzky advertise for sports betting and it was awful. Dude is already rich - why does he need to do this?

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 1:21 am

stratozyck wrote:
Seeing major sports heroes do commercials for gambling apps has been one of the most depressing pop culture milestones of my life. The industry makes its money off of problem gamblers and this is not a secret.

no different than alcohol companies making money off of alcoholics.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 2:36 am

Well done through coming away from it. Try and find a hobby to replace it, but one where one makes things rather than collects ready made things if possible. (Unless whatever it is one collects is free or does not cost much).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 3:27 pm

:?

Sports betting has been going on for thousands of years.. at least as far back as betting on which Roman Gladiator lives or dies.

Not sure why it seems to be like some sort of revelation to you that sports happen and some people gamble on them. If you’re not a gambler, don’t gamble.