What does it feel like to question your gender identity?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2023, 11:29 am

I'll try to make this succinct, digestible and easy to read but first I'll briefly explain my own gender identity. I am a man biologically, but I am much different from typical men because I do not embody many traditionally 'masculine' characteristics which appears to be common among autistic men like myself. Instead of identifying myself as a male, or even as a non-male, instead I view myself as a man who does not identify strongly with the 'male' gender. One manifestation of this is that I'll feel uncomfortable when a person addresses me as 'sir' or 'mr.'. In my case it feels odd to be addressed with hyper-masculine pronouns. So I feel like non-binary might best describe me. But I view gender as a social construct anyway so I don't care much about it. I understand many would care more than I do.

When I think of 'what it means to be a man', I don't really think much of it, not because I don't have a million thoughts ruminating through my head, but instead because I don't really view being a 'man' as much beyond what I am physically. I do not have gender dysphoria, and I do not feel like a woman. I don't have body dysmorphia either, so I don't struggle much with regarding my gender identity. What I find more difficult to understand is those who question their gender, not those who have gender dysphoria.

When I was young if you were a girl with stereotypical masculine traits you would just be a tomboy, and you would probably go by she/her pronouns. Likewise if you were a guy with feminine behaviors you would still be a he/him. I believe you would likely identify as a male who's queer. Nowadays due to a societal shift in attitude towards the meaning of gender, mainly affecting the younger generation, attitudes towards gender identity are shifting greatly, which has given rise to nonbinary. Apparently, 1 in 4 autistic people identify as non-binary, me perhaps being one of them.

In short, I actually am somewhat gender confused myself, but I am not gender questioning. I don't think gender is real so I don't make a big deal out of it. In the abstract, I view gender as an arbitrary spectrum. I don't see a reason to care if I'm male, or non-binary, or whatever someone thinks I am, in part due to not feeling dysphoric, possibly? It's like, "yes, this makes sense, but it doesn't matter because all of it is rubbish anyway. It's all based on something imaginary."

However I'm curious to try to understand this from the perspective of someone who's gender questioning and dealing with undesirable feelings as a result of the hardship it brings them. Sometimes I wonder how much of this has to do with a general desire to be something, independent of any dysphoric struggle. I don't need to be something. I just exist. I don't feel like I need to have an identity to latch onto.

I also want to share this video because I found it very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6MWY6wnpxk

He makes some very interesting points, such as that gender is experienced both externally and internally, and if my internal sense of my gender is almost completely empty, then it makes sense that I don't consider my gender to be important to who I am as a person.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 7:24 pm

I have like Metropolitan Japanese male characteristics when I attempt to date people.

Idk what it's called tbh.

Very much want to be playful and silly.

X.x

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 7:51 pm

D:WHY CANT I LIFT MY LEG AND PEE LIKE A GUY.D: NO. GUESS NOT.

troodontid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2023, 6:05 pm

Hi!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I came out - in my forties - as genderqueer a couple years ago and changed my pronouns to they/she. (Genderqueer as a term fits better for me personally because it carries a sense of rebellion against gender that's always been present for me - and I see it as within the broader headings of nonbinary/trans.) I didn't feel like anything changed at any point for me. I just felt like as our cultural construct of gender came around to a place that felt more like me ("tomboy" as a little kid definitely didn't feel right, although that was my category earlier in my generation). I was surprised by how much I had been trying to prove, and how much of a relief it felt to have a definition. I think it's ok to define what doesn't feel right as well as what does feel right. Sometimes it's a push and sometimes it's a pull. Lots of trans and nonbinary folks don't have gender dysphoria. But - that feeling of discomfort with "sir" or "mr" does sound like maybe a smidge of dysphoria to me...? Only you can know though.
I love that being alive now means being able to gravitate to the ways of describing our experience of gender that feel most right. Nonbinary wiki is a rad online resource, as is this the Pronouns Dressing Room on failedslacker. (Sorry, noob so I can't post links.)
All that said, I firmly believe it's also pretty great to see cis people rebelling against cis-sexist gender stereotypes.
I hope there's increase freedom in your future, whatever that looks like.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2023, 3:33 am

My theory is that because so much of gender is socially constructed, a lot of autistic people don't "naturally" pick up on gender as they grow up (just as we don't absorb most other social rules and rituals). As a result, a lot of us feel like we're disconnected or different when it comes to gender, and one way of responding to this is by identifying as nonbinary (or trans).

I always had this feeling of disconnect from my gender, but didn't start identifying as nonbinary until my mid twenties. I just started to gradually change things about myself to present as more gender neutral, and every time I did, it felt good and comfortable. Eventually I tried out they/them pronouns and a neutral sounding name, and that felt even better.

I realized that it wasn't just about wanting to be androgynous- I wanted to be genderless. Thinking about myself as someone who is neither male nor female felt right.

By contrast, my partner (who is also autistic) is a cisgender male. His experience of his gender is actually pretty similar to mine- he says he never felt a strong connection to his gender, and when growing up he didn't pick up the rules of gender naturally. Being referred to with feminine descriptors doesn't bother him any more than being referred to with masculine ones. But in his case, he doesn't feel any particular positive draw toward being considered genderless. So he's fine with being a cis guy who just happens to not be very gender-conforming.

GoLd3N
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2023, 8:40 am

It feels like a rock that broke off from a boulder, and the fallout is never ending.

Gender dysphoria is something I wish on no one.

Questioning my gender is not something I do anymore, as I understand, after a decade of therapy and gender affirming healthcare who and what I am.

My existence as a transsexual is not a means to stick it to the patriarchy, as it may be for some; but personally, it's just a state of being and understanding that I'm different, and being different sucks, but with that said, I take solace in knowing the steps to take in order to live as my truest and most authentic self, despite the world being up in arms against my right to live in peace, privacy and harmony.

For me it's a lifelong journey of misery and pain.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 8:53 am

It can feel like a lot of things. But, really the only way to deal with it, other than not, is some form of experimentation, starting with things that aren't visible to others and can be reversed working towards things that are more visible and harder to back out of. After a bit, you should know pretty reliably what your identity is and what you like.

Personally, I went through that when I realized I was bi and since I had assumed that I was straight, it made me wonder what other things about me may be other than I knew. It turned out, after a bit of shaving, that I'm still very masculine, just more of an early 20th century masculine that is a bit more full-featured than the stereotypes that those gender studies majors have tried to force on men.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 8:58 am

GoLd3N wrote:
It feels like a rock that broke off from a boulder, and the fallout is never ending.

Questioning my gender is not something I do anymore, as I understand, after a decade of therapy and gender affirming healthcare who and what I am.

My existence as a transsexual is not a means to stick it to the patriarchy, as it may be for some; but personally, it's just a state of being and understanding that I'm different, and being different sucks, but with that said, I take solace in knowing the steps to take in order to live as my truest and most authentic self, despite the world being up in arms against my right to live in peace, privacy and harmony.

It's beyond unfortunate the way that feminists have latched onto the LGBTQIA+ community to claim to represent us when they have a separate agenda and can't necessarily be bothered to understand what they're talking about.

Being or not being trans should purely be a personal matter about who that particular person is, not a political statement. Sadly, it's a similar issue to being bi where no matter what you do, you're seen as making a political statement to many and it can be hard to gain acceptance even with people who should know better.

GoLd3N
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2023, 6:48 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
GoLd3N wrote:

It's beyond unfortunate the way that feminists have latched onto the LGBTQIA+ community to claim to represent us when they have a separate agenda and can't necessarily be bothered to understand what they're talking about.

Being or not being trans should purely be a personal matter about who that particular person is, not a political statement. Sadly, it's a similar issue to being bi where no matter what you do, you're seen as making a political statement to many and it can be hard to gain acceptance even with people who should know better.

Agreed, I'm not fond of those that have taken the true struggles of gender dysphoric individuals (transsexuals) and have high-jacked and damaged our narratives of what and who we are towards the public sphere of conversation and opinions, and debate.

We're not a monolith of political scavengers looking to score oppression points and internet clout; it's a medical condition, not a personality trait...

It angers me to no end to bear witness to them intentionally ruffling the feathers of the general public and in turn gaining more enemies than friends/allies with their cringy shenanigans by wearing the blood, sweat and tears of real trans people, and those of our elders and friends who've died just trying to exist, as some cosplay adventure and virtue signaling parade of lunacy and performative nonsense.

It's not right or fair that they get to speak on our behalves, spewing lies and misrepresentation, while real transsexuals are left in the dust of silence suffering, as media corporations and politicians instead latch on to the baboons and clowns prancing around in our trans flag because that makes for a funnier narrative to hate on us, or for them to just circle-jerk one another with their false sense of authority that they have imposed on themselves and against true transsexuals.

In turn, we are the ones that can't resort to a stealthy life of normalcy, and have laws proposed against us, taking up our limited healthcare resources, while they literally haven't gender dysphoria to be treated, leading to suicides of my people. I hate it.

To call them out is to be socially banished ("cancelled"), or accused and referred to as self-hating trans people or "boot-lickers", "right-wing grifters" despite having no political connections to conservative values, by nature; or worst being deemed as transphobic ourselves, when we're actually trans and their not, thus making no damn sense, as we know the reality of what is and isn't factually accurate about our struggles and experiences; yet we don't get a seat at the table to speak at, that we build, died and bled on.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 12:24 am

Mine is just your typical autistic's do not pick up gender social construct norms that do not resonate, drawn to neither genders and that just went along with expressing and identifying as cis gender just for convenience.

Specifically, most people in my life are female.
I am born female. And somewhat ended up spending most of my life with them and therefore be very familiar with them.

So I asked to myself; why can't they all reach my core of being?

So I looked at the other way -- looking how males do and think and act...
Sure the way they live seems more fun and more exciting.. Yet to be around them is also just unfamiliar.
And imaging myself as one of them is even more disonating and alien. :lol:

The fact that people around me also seen that I really do not act or think like a cis gender female.
I looked both ways; tomboy doesn't truly reasonate. I'm not merely a masculine female.

I'm just drawn and resonate to neither.

That's how I conclude that I'm agender, and not trans.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2023, 2:33 am

"Fake" trans people aren't responsible for the oppression of trans people, transphobes are. If all the "cringy" trans people disappeared tomorrow, transphobes would still be fighting against the rights of the trans community. They don't care, and in fact they revel in lgbt infighting because it makes it easier for them to further their goals.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 3:32 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
"Fake" trans people aren't responsible for the oppression of trans people, transphobes are. If all the "cringy" trans people disappeared tomorrow, transphobes would still be fighting against the rights of the trans community. They don't care, and in fact they revel in lgbt infighting because it makes it easier for them to further their goals.

Literally this. The amount of infighting between trans people is completely moronic. Pretending as if transphobes don't just straight up f*****g hate us, and will still want to kill us and take our rights away even without "cringy" trans people, makes people delusional as hell. It's honestly such a "pick-me" and bootlicking attitude, too.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 2:49 pm

Maeko wrote:
D:WHY CANT I LIFT MY LEG AND PEE LIKE A GUY.D: NO. GUESS NOT.

Wait, I'm supposed to lift my leg while peeing?

Is this what it feels like to question? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 2:58 pm

Fairfield wrote:
GreenVelvetWorm wrote:

Literally this. The amount of infighting between trans people is completely moronic. Pretending as if transphobes don't just straight up f*****g hate us, and will still want to kill us and take our rights away even without "cringy" trans people, makes people delusional as hell. It's honestly such a "pick-me" and bootlicking attitude, too.

Not to diminish how this applies to trans people specifically, but this can be applied to a wide range of marginalized communities and the people within them.

You might not like the cringiest members of your demographics, but no matter how much one might not like how those people behave and represent the community, when there's also people who actively seek to further marginalize you (or worse), they're the enemy.

There's a lot of communities where the most visible and vocal seem to earn some degree of backlash from their fellows and it often seems to be a fear of more negativity from people who were already negative to begin with; cowering and accepting being further marginalized isn't a viable survival strategy for a cohort of people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GoLd3N
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2023, 6:31 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:

Well we'd have to begin with the definition of what being an actual trans person entails.

One must have a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, and those that I deem "fake" trans people are the ones (tucutes) whom claim one does not need a diagnosis of gender dysphoria to be a trans individual.

That's a tragic fallacy that's relatively new; nonsense of those whom "self-identity" as trans without meeting the medical requirements and historical definitions of what it is to be trans.

Those being the majority of what transphobes pick out to vilify my community. I guess I'd be considered a "transmedicalist and/or "truscum" by the "tucute" community.

I'm a transsexual, I have and suffer with gender dysphoria. If it weren't for this new wave of cosplayers taking lead in the "trans debates" of recent social discourse, we wouldn't be so visible by gross misrepresentation (cringe aside), and the backlash wouldn't be as severe coming from politicians and anti-trans think-tanks and TERFS.

The tucute community needs to take a step back and stop infiltrating our spaces, and call themselves something different as we're not the same. Xenogenders and neopronouns are nonsense and damaging.

They should just call themselves something else, but not appropriate transgender identity and culture.

Transphobes have always existed, yes. But it's these trenders who have been relentlessly sparking the flames of trans hatred with their clownish ways and virtue signaling to start wars with the majority.. If they would create their own community and stop identifiying as something they aren't, I wouldn't have an issue because then transphobia wouldn't exist at the extent of where it's at today and where it's going.

GoLd3N
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2023, 6:50 pm

Fairfield wrote:
GreenVelvetWorm wrote:

There's no "infighting" because they aren't trans.... to claim this is moronic at best, and implies "non-dyphoric' crossdressers are transsexuals of which they aren't.

There is no "us" when it comes to those who've stolen trans identity and used it to weaponize their own selfish and narcissistic endeavors, "sticking it to the patriarchy" is nonsense. Violence only creates more voilence.

TruTrans people just want to live our lives and not be broadcasted on tik tok and instagram, youtube etc... I'm not concerned about gender expression, to each their own, if they are truly gender dysphoric individuals, they can claim to be apart of the transsexual community, otherwise, they've just watered down the definition of what being a trans person entails and further confuse and enrage those who maybe were on the fence about accepting us, or at least tolerating us.

That'll never happen when we have Dlyan Mulvaney and the Aloks of the world saying their trans when their just cisgendered gender nonconforming men and women getting their 15 minutes of fame and cashing in heavily on it.

They don't represent the daily trans person whom haven't the privilege of protection and safety from harassment and danger, after spewing their goofiness to the general public.There's no "pick me" attitudes with real trans folk, we chose privacy and discretion, we choose stealth living, to co-exist and live freely without being clocked every two g-d damn minutes we walk outside our homes in this dangerous world.

We've always existed, and for the most part, before becoming the main characters of social politics thanks to the "you don't need gender dysphoria to be trans" crowds came about (Trans is not a political movement, it's just a state of being), society left us alone because they didn't understand it, as it wasn't being shoved down their throats nonstop, so if they came across a transsexual, they'd be like "ok, that's interesting/weird/gross, I don't understand it it, but it's not interfering with my life, so live and let live"..

These days, I need to worry about being murdered and hate-crimed, and discriminated against, can't find work, doctors deny providing care due to laws protecting their religious freedoms, or the trans freindly medical community is under threat; being barred from practicing trans medicine/therapy services in fear of being legally prosecuted.

Where's the bootlicking? Who's boots am I kissing? If any, my own. f**k transphobes, republicans and right wing extremist nazi's.