Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spice_Mode23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2023, 1:49 pm

Understanding body language and facial cues is hard.

SarahBea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2023, 3:43 am

I agree.

Does anyone have any tips?

I find looking at emojis helped me to understand people's facial expressions.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2023, 3:36 am

Look at where their feet are pointed, it can indicate where they want to go, and therefore what they're interested in.
Crossed arms means the person is self soothing because they're possibly stressed or just cold.
People who are confident take up more space by spreading their arms or putting their feet up on things.
People trust you more if you show them your hands. Open hands that they can see means you're not hiding anything.

I have a lot of this stuff, wrote a whole book about them. It's kind of useful, but it's a lot to keep it all in your head.

Edit, here's some of the notes from research. It's not all formatted and tidy, but maybe it's useful.

Body Language
Everyone expresses themselves differently through body language. You have to learn that person’s way of expressing themselves to really get a good read on them. However there are general motifs that can help get started.
People learn to send the wrong signal through body language. This is either to mask their inner life or to maliciously subvert how they’re perceived. Be careful about trusting signals explicitly.
Understanding body language is related to how the person thinks. There are four main types of thinking that apply to body language.

Lookers (75% of people) - Thinks in images. You can tell a looker by the following traits. Appearance is important to them. Stands up tall. Dresses well. Holds stress in their shoulders (shoulders are tense). May have a wrinkled forehead from looking up when they remember something they’ve seen. Likely to have thin lips (weird?). Gives lots of eye contact. To build rapport with a looker, give them lots of eye contact. They will believe that if you are not looking at them you’re not paying attention. Give them words that have a visual component to them (I see what you mean. Look at this. Picture this,).

Listeners (20%) - Thinks in word and sounds. Appearance is not as important to them. Looks down and to the left when remembering something they’ve heard. Will often put their head in their hand (called telephone posture). Tendency to mumble to themselves (thinking out loud). Pen clicker, taps things on tables. To build rapport with listeners, don’t give eye contact it freaks them out. When conversing, look at them briefly and then look away. Use auditory words (That sounds good to me. Let’s talk this over.)

Toucher (5%) - Think tactilely, think in feelings. Huggers. Dress for comfort rather than style. Likely to have full lips. Have a tendency to lean in to reduce the physical space between you and them. Tendency to reach out and touch your arm while in conversation. Tendency to look down because thats where you look when you remember something you felt. To build rapport, if you’re comfortable, let them hug you, if not comfortable, give them a point of contact to touch (like shaking hands). Use language that has a feeling to it or is tactile (I want to know how you feel about this. Let’s get in touch. Reach out and talk to me about this.).

To know which you are, imagine something significant that happened to you. If you remember it like a movie (pictures of what happened) you’re a Looker. If you remember what was said and describe the situation to yourself you’re a Listener. If you primarily remember how you felt, you’re a toucher.
You will imagine that everyone thinks the same way as you do.

Rules For Reading Body Language
There are two main type of body language signals, comfort and discomfort.
Look for clusters of behaviors, not just one gotcha movement.
Look for changes, when a person’s body language starts off one way but changes during a conversation, it’s a stronger indicator of hidden feelings. This is often referred to as “looking for the baseline.”
Consider the context, the environment and even a person’s background can skew how they display body language.
Mixed signals usually means someone’s masking their body language. Often a person will try to mask negative body language with positive so seeing negative indicators are more revealing.

Pointing
It’s possible that pointing is conceptually connected to touching. There are a number of studies that testify to that idea. Thinking of pointing as remotely “touching” the thing being pointed at might explain a lot of taboos about pointing.
If you think about pointing as if you’re symbolically touching the thing you point to it explains why (for instance) you shouldn’t point at people.

Staring
Many people feel uncomfortable when stared at. This extends to things like public speaking when many people are staring at the speaker.
There is the philosophy that possibly explains people’s uncomfortableness when being looked at as the act of turning that person into an object. This “objectifying” is often in reference to sexual interest but some people feel it even when looked at in a normal conversational context. Somehow, being looked at makes them feel like they are not a person. This may or may not include being looked in the eyes. The Greek myth of medusa might have some connection to this perception.
In many cultures the idea of staring is linked to cursing someone. This is called the “evil eye” and many cultures attribute supernatural power to it.

Face
When someone is comfortable, the muscles of their face are usually relaxed and the chin is further out. A furrowed brow or a tucked in chin signals discomfort.
In most expressions a facial expression is symmetric. In some situations, the two halves of someone’s face can show different emotions and these can be difficult to parse. When someone is showing two different emotions, each on one side of the face there is something that’s not right going on.

Hard Swallow
When a person clears their mouth of saliva and forcibly swallows, this is a sign of tension or worry.

Chin Up
A raised chin is a sign of confidence. May even move up and down during a statement to indicate confidence in each word.

Nose Flare
May indicate getting ready for strenuous effort.
Males may flare their noses around people they’re attracted to.

Tilted Head
A slight head tilt indicates that the person is interested because they’re turning their ear towards the speaker.
A strong head tilt signals the person is incredulous about the information they’re giving or receiving. They might be emphasizing sarcasm.
A woman may unconsciously tilt her head to show her rounded jaw line, signaling femininity to a potential mate. This may be accompanied by playing with her hair.

Hair
A woman playing with her hair or flipping it away is likely signaling attraction to a person.

Neck
Women may signal attraction by touching their neck, especially stroking it.

Eyes
When a person stops making eye contact they’re under higher cognitive load. This can be because they’re not paying attention, paying attention to some secondary subject, struggling with the conversation or they might be trying to maintain a lie.
In a conversation when a person is making normal eye contact but breaks it by looking away or closing their eyes it’s usually to maintain a lie in their own mind.
A person that is looking away during a conversation may have lost interest in the conversation or the person they’re talking to.
Frequent blinking means the person is under higher cognitive load.
Looking down signals that the person is absorbed in what is coming towards them but can’t look up to face it.
Looking to the side means they’re interested in something else. This can be used as an intimidation tool by looking off to the side of someone that’s trying to intimidate you. It signals you’re not a threat and they’re more concerned about something else.
If a woman raises her eyebrows but lowers her eyelids, she’s trying to attract the person she’s talking to.

Eyes Widened
Indicates the person is trying to take in more information. Can indicate arousal, fear or that they feel confronted.
Furrowing Brow
Can indicate seriousness or troubling information is being conveyed.

Arched Eyebrows
Indicates passion or excitement. Often used to indicate you’re recognizing someone you like.

Squinting
This can be a signal that the information a person is getting is “out of focus”, confused or unclear especially if they turn their ear to the speaker. It can also signal that they are focusing on a particular thought as particularly important.
If someone widens their eyes but then squints, they’re internalizing something very negative.

Eye Blocking
Also called a face palm, means the person is blocking out something negative.
Often if a person is feeling shame, they’ll scratch their forehead as a form of brief face blocking.

Shoulders
When someone shrugs their shoulders, even unconsciously, it means they’re uncertain about something.
When someone shrugs their shoulders while making what should be a definitive statement they could be lying. This is often a very small shrug, done very quickly.
When someone rounds their shoulders, slouching while standing, this can indicate lack of confidence or discomfort.

Torso
A person often will turn their torso away from a threat. If they suddenly turn sideways to you, it’s a indicator you’re dangerous to them. The limbic system automatically turns the ventral side away from danger. This is true of physical and psychological threats.
A person who is interested in a topic will turn their torso to face the person they’re interested in.
If someone covers their torso with books or bags, even just their crossed arms, they likely feel threatened.
Males may puff out their chest when they’re getting ready for a fight. They may also do this around people they find attractive.
Putting your arms behind your back indicates confidence, authority and possibly a desire for distance.
When a person shakes your hand, if they face their naval towards you, they like admire and trust you. If they don’t like you, they’ll angle their body so that their belly is at an angle to you.
Leaning in may signal attraction or just interest in a topic. It can also signal scrutiny based on the situation. Leaning back is usually a sign of disengagement either from disgust or being casual.

Breathing From The Chest
A person that was breathing from their belly that switches to chest breathing is likely trying to hold back an intense emotion.

Lips
“When we don’t like what we see or hear, our lips disappear” - Janine Driver
When a person curls their lips in, they are showing that they don’t like what they are seeing or what is being said. Consider it like the person is trying to lock dangerous things from entering their mouth or body. This includes what they are saying or doing. It can also be a sign of high stress.
A lip purse, pressing the lips together but sticking them out indicates distain or disappointment.
When someone has a one sided smile, it’s a sign of contempt.
When pressing lips together at the corners of the mouth it signals distain for an idea.
A especially powerful indicator of distain is an asymmetric expression where one upper lip is curled up.

Mouth Blocking
When someone is trying to keep themselves from saying something or almost said something they shouldn’t they’ll cover up their mouth.

Feet
People will often mask their interest by not looking at things they’re interested in but they often will still point their feet at a person or thing they’re interested in. They may point a foot away from you if they don’t like what you said.
When two people are talking, if they’re feet are pointing towards each other, the conversation is closed off to others. If they’re facing at angles to each other with their feet pointing out into the room, they’re open to others joining.
Bouncing or wiggling feet indicate excitement, satisfaction or impatience. If they suddenly stop moving their feet, usually planting them firmly on the ground, they’re stressed or feeling a strong emotion.
Lifted feet, either the toes or the heals lifted from the floor indicates happiness, excitement or interest.
Crossed legs while standing means the person is comfortable. They can’t quickly get away in this stance, showing they’re not going anywhere. Will often tilt their body toward the person they’re interested in.
Crossing feet at the ankles can indicate discomfort or stress.
When someone plays with their shoe, usually women’s high heels or other heelless footwear, this is usually flirtatious.

Crossed Legs
If someone crosses their legs so that the leg on top is facing you, they’re using it as a barrier to protect against you.
If you are on the side of the lower leg, they’re comfortable with you.

Knee Clasp
While seated, when someone clasps their knees, they’re indicating they’re ready to leave.

Hands
When someone stretches out their fingers suddenly, it’s a fear reflex (moro reflex) that gets them ready to hang onto something.
Stroking an arm or neck indicates a great amount of stress and is a self soothing mechanism.
Someone who is sensing danger may cover their neck or mouth with their hand. This is a vulnerable area that predators attack to suffocate prey.
When people can see your hands, they see you as open and more charismatic.
Be aware of hiding your hands, it is varyingly considered disrespectful or hostile. Linked to possibly hiding a weapon. Someone that is fearful may clasp their hands protecting their valuable digits. They may also hide or tuck away their very valuable thumbs. This behavior is evident in contests and games where someone feels their position is weak.
Steepling the hands, signals power and authority. Pointing the steeple at someone means you’re channeling your authority towards them.
Thumbs exposed while the hands are in pockets shows confidence. Putting just the thumbs in pockets indicates a lack of confidence.
If a male places their thumbs in their waistband so that their hands “frame” their genitals they are displaying dominance or indicating sexual interest.

Chop
A chopping action with the hand during speech indicates the person feels they’ve reached a limit of the idea they’re discussing.

Pinched Fingers
This is called a “precision grip”. The person is trying to articulate an idea very carefully.

Open Palms
Indicates the person is receptive to something.

Wrists
Showing the underside of the wrist, sometimes by waving the hand around is a display of submission and often femininity.

Approach
Men don’t mind being approached from behind but it can be stress inducing to women. It’s better to approach a woman from the front or the side.

Size of Movement
When a person moves around their surroundings freely, they are at ease. If they gesture to the full length of their arms they are taking ownership of the space they’re in as a sign of authority.
Large expansive motions like both arms stretched out are calls for attention.
As a person’s arms move up, it indicates their mood is good. As their arms drop or become lifeless it indicates a bad mood.
When someone places their hands on their hips, called hands akimbo, they’re making themselves bigger, this is a confidant stance but also could be a demand for authority.
Placing their hands behind their head, the hooding effect, is a claim for territory and usually is accompanied by taking up as much space as possible.
If they are constrained, they may feel that their environment is hostile to them. They could feel that moving around may cause them harm.
If a person normally would gesticulate while speaking but keeps their arms at their sides, they are restraining themselves for some reason.
The width of someone’s stance can indicate how confident they are.

Leaning
When a person is leaning on something, they’re casual and feel like they can relax or very tired. They may lean towards someone they’re interested in.
Leaning back can mean confidence but can also be taken as disregard for authority.

Microexpressions
By definition a microexpression is an expression that flashes faster than it can be recognized, it is possible to notice that a microexpression occurred. If you do notice a quick expression change, you know there was a strong emotion that the person was trying to repress.
Real expressions tend to be short lived on the face. Quick flashes of expression are likely to be real while holding a sad or happy expression may mean the person is trying to signal an emotion they’re not really feeling.

Last edited by Emmett on 17 Apr 2023, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 3:47 am

Spice_Mode23 wrote:
Understanding body language and facial cues is hard.

For some reason, I find it super easy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 3:48 am

SarahBea wrote:
I agree.

Does anyone have any tips?

I find looking at emojis helped me to understand people's facial expressions.

I use emojis all the time to give clues as to my intent.
Some ppl don't understand this. :? :mrgreen:
But that is in type.

I did an emotion recognition test and did quite well, but I didn't find it easy for some reason.
It seems to be easier in real life.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2023, 4:41 am

It is hard. :? I don't have any tips because I feel like I only subconsciously learned to mask. I can read body language somewhat, but only intellectually and not instinctively.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2023, 9:50 pm

I mask, I am pretty good at reading body language, and pretty social, even though I have a cognitive disorder similar to ASD. I've never believed in body language as much as I believe in what people say or do. I have made sure to look at people's eyes or the bridge of their nose/forehead during interviews or interactions at work and made a conscious effort to glance away at the appropriate times (when speaking to someone else according to research), although I have no trouble adding levity or finding humor in levity that that people add to situations.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 1:18 am

My concern is with my own body language, which admittedly is terrible. I give very negative vibes to people because I don't mirror or mask. I don't make eye contact or even try to do it. I seldom make "face contact" and I'll contort my body away from people to avoid it. It looks like I'm recoiling. I do lots of weird postures and gestures which probably make others uncomfortable. I have a flat affect meaning I don't even move my eyebrows. Smiling hurts so I don't ever do it consciously. I stim or do repetitive motions in public without stopping myself. I tend to cross my arms across my body for self-soothing and I always have clenched fists and / or TRex hands. I sit on the floor / ground even in shops when I feel tired or I feel overwhelmed. I put my hands over my ears or even cover my face with my hands at times. If I wait in queue I spin in slow circles (or sit on the ground) because I don't have enough balance to stand still.

I'm aware that if I were ever accused of a murder or serious crime, I'd probably be considered guilty by body language analysts. I've been accused of lying because I don't make eye contact or if I have a "closed" stance with my arms folded. I know this but I can't stop it and don't feel I should have to. I wish those body language people would acknowledge that autistics don't have the same mannerisms as other people and shouldn't be judged as criminals if we do something "wrong" on their list of indicators.

As for other people's body language, I can read big moods like "angry", "sad", "happy", etc., but I don't analyse whether or not the person looks trustworthy vs. closed-off. I don't judge people as liars if they look away. In real life I wouldn't even know they looked away since I'm not looking at their faces to check, but even when I see police shows which highlight a person's facial response I don't jump to any conclusions about their guilt. In terms of basic emotions in my friends and family I can tell if they're happy or sad but again, that's about it. I got the lowest score my assessor had ever seen for "Reading the Mind in the Eyes", and my non-verbal intelligence is ranked very low too at the 5th percentile.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 1:20 am

Not necessarily currently, but I have def experienced the feeling of being overly aware of and concerned with whatever my face is doing. It got to the point my face would feel almost cramped from too many stiff muscles.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 1:49 am

colliegrace wrote:
It is hard. :? I don't have any tips because I feel like I only subconsciously learned to mask. I can read body language somewhat, but only intellectually and not instinctively.

Same.
"Intellectual Bridges" are very helpful.
They become stronger with life experience.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 5:42 am

I'm too aware of people's body language. I can't help but notice even micro mannerisms.

I think it's a symptom of ptsd in my case. I'm on high alert at all times.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 9:48 am

Here are some signs

1. If a person has closed body language, it means they don't want to be bothered. This can also be true if they look down at their phones.

2. If a person points their toes toward a person and looks at them, it means they are interested, they will also have open body language.

-.If a person dislikes you, they will
-. Turn their body away from you
-. Hide behind something like a purse
-. They will roll their eyes
-. They check their watch
-.In a group setting, they will smile when they talk to other people but frown when they have to talk to you
-. They avoid you by getting up and walking away if you enter the same area where they are

3. If a person is not interested in the topic, they will turn their head or walk away

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 9:28 am

I'm not super good at it, but I'd personally just choose some things to focus on at first and add other things as you can. Realistically, if you have to ask this question, it's just going to be hard and you probably won't ever be 100% natural at it.

I'm usually pretty good about it, but it is a massive suck of my energy and concentration whenever I'm around other people and when I get burned out, I revert to having no ability with it of any consequence.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2023, 3:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm aware that if I were ever accused of a murder or serious crime, I'd probably be considered guilty by body language analysts. I've been accused of lying because I don't make eye contact or if I have a "closed" stance with my arms folded. I know this but I can't stop it and don't feel I should have to. I wish those body language people would acknowledge that autistics don't have the same mannerisms as other people and shouldn't be judged as criminals if we do something "wrong" on their list of indicators.

If the body language analyst was any good, they would take a baseline. They'd try to get you as comfortable as they could (which probably wouldn't be real comfortable) and then judge off that.

That said, you'd probably not be talking to an FBI profiler, you'd probably be talking to Sgt Bubba of the local police who wouldn't take a baseline and just figure "I dunno, I jus' don't like er'." :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 11:39 am

I don't have trouble understanding body language, which is lucky for me.

The only body language I give off is weakness (as in timidness). One time when I was walking out of a supermarket after I'd paid, the alarm went off. But the security guard didn't look in my bag because he said to me that he could tell I was innocent by my body language. I was innocent anyway. So that proves that I look like everyone else when I'm out and not someone who stands out or is a threat, which is why I get baffled when I get stared at by people.

_Hermes_
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2023, 9:22 am

I read it pretty well, but I know my own body language is a bit akward, trying hard to look people in their eyes, my brother always got angry at me because I did not look into the camera, so I have been working on that my whole life. And when I look at myself for example in zoom meetings I can see my bodylanguage is a bit off. So I try to practice when I am in zoom meetings.