Great Things Our Men Have Done

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 3:52 pm

To counter some of the harsh things posted lately about groomers and predators, I thought I'd make a thread to celebrate the good men in our lives and the good things they've done.

This is for all members to post short comments about any man (including transmen) in our lives who have made the world a better place. It could be a friend, relative, partner, neighbour, work colleague, WP member or anyone you know personally who deserves a pat on the back. This is not about famous people we haven't met.

No names please, if you're referring to WP members.
I think we should respect anonymity like we've done elsewhere, so no one feels left out.

* I'm posting in L&D because it's gender-based, but you don't have to be in love with them or dating.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 4:04 pm

My dad walked to the shopping mall to buy me this album on Valentine's Day.
I was about ten, or whatever year the album came out.

There was a big snowstorm and he couldn't take the car.
It took him about an hour to walk each way.
I don't remember him ever walking anywhere for an errand before that, or after.

I still have the album but can't find my phone to take a picture.
I always thought the song Tragedy was called "Tiger Lily" until I read the vinyl.

Miss you dad. :heart:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 4:16 pm

My brother is my best friend and a really great person. I’ve always looked up to and respected him. When he stopped shunning me and apologized for it, he may have saved my life. I don’t know where I’d be without him.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 4:39 pm

My brother is my best friend too. I've never trusted anyone as much as I trust him. All of my childhood stories and memories revolve around him. He taught me to read and taught me all the rock bands I love starting when I was just in Kindergarten. He made me who I am today. He was my classic rock concert partner and travel partner for years. He acted as a role model my entire life even though we didn't speak much because of my mutism. He's never done any assessments but I can pretty much guarantee he has Aspergers, ADHD and OCD.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 4:51 pm

Umm can't think of any :lol:

Except immediate family,I do have a couple of friends who get in contact to see if I'm alright occasionally

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 4:53 pm

I dig. I like the idea of people saying positive things to each other...giving folks their credit. It's a thing I'd like to do more, but being that I am, I forget to until something like this shows up and I'm reminded that there are tons of awesome people out there and I should acknowledge them. I'm all for giving some great men the credit they deserve. There's no shortage of them, that's for sure.

On a bigger scale, there's a guy who is the child of an old friend of mine. I've known this guy since he was a baby and he's like 30 now...one of my kids who isn't my kid. He's had a rough go of things...unstable early years, he went blind, he's had to make his own way in life. And he did. And he rocked it. He graduated from law school recently and has been working to help disabled people, low income people, the underdogs if you will. He's brilliant, kind, funny, snarky, bold, so many things.. and he chooses to use his abilities to help others. He blows my mind.

On a smaller scale... my dad deserves a shout out. He might not help tons of people every day, but he.how do I say this... he used to be a real low life. :lol: But he stopped being that person and he grew and changed and he's a great human these days. He owns his past mistakes and does his best to do right by people now. I admire and respect the hell out of that. It takes courage and strength to own your crap and overcome it and he that. He's a truly good man now and a really cool guy to. I'm proud of him and lucky to have him in my life.

The fwb deserves his credit to. This guy has given me one hell of a perspective drop for one, and I appreciate that something fierce. He's great for challenging my thoughts in ways that are nothing short of respectful and bringing interesting things to my attention. Besides being a clever one, he has this way of making me laugh and life has been so tense for what feels like years to me... I had forgotten how good it is to just be silly with someone. I forgot you could have fun with people you were involved with. I owe him a thanks for reminding me that relationships aren't always all work and no reward and that you can truly enjoy the company of another person.

E gets a shout out to. He's got all this crap going on all the time and zero support from family...his mom is a freakin nightmare and he has the trauma still going on, but somehow he gets up, holds his head high and keeps going despite everything. He's one of the first trans people I ever got to know well and the courage it took for him to come out and live as who he is... he gets nothing short than respect from me for that. He is truly built to last and he's gone out of his way on numerous times to be there for people in need... his own past/present has never made him bitter or cold to others. I have no idea how he does it, but he does it.

Just a general shout out to the men on this forum... I come here and I get to read all this stuff form all these different people from all over the place and I like that. Some of you have these great senses of humor and make me smile when I've been having an otherwise awful day and I appreciate that. Some of you say insightful, brilliant, spot on accurate things and I think that is freakin awesome. I love the way some of you think. Some of you show such kindness, concern, willingness to engage and try to help...this place is lucky to have you all for these reasons and likely a million more.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 5:59 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Just a general shout out to the men on this forum... I come here and I get to read all this stuff form all these different people from all over the place and I like that. Some of you have these great senses of humor and make me smile when I've been having an otherwise awful day and I appreciate that. Some of you say insightful, brilliant, spot on accurate things and I think that is freakin awesome. I love the way some of you think. Some of you show such kindness, concern, willingness to engage and try to help...this place is lucky to have you all for these reasons and likely a million more.

:heart: :heart: :heart: ^

I wouldn't be addicted to this place if it weren't for the many great men who keep it ticking. Some of you are so funny I laugh out loud and my kids come running because they think I can't breathe. :P Some of you restore my faith in humanity when I see your calm consistency and resilience. You don't even need to do anything special -- just "being there" makes a huge difference to many people's day. Some of you reminded me how to trust again, after heinous trauma. Some of you have literally saved my life on my darkest days, whether you know it or not. It doesn't take much to help a person feel valued, but you make it seem effortless. You've gone above and beyond with your witty banter, dark sarcasm, empathetic props, predictable quips, and insightful observations about everything from Autism to relationships, books, music, movies, and mental health. You've challenged me, supported me, and put up with me no matter what, even when I likely drive you mad.

Sorry about that, dudes. I really owe you one. :lol:

Big shouts out to you for making my world a better place.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 6:03 pm

To the best of my knowledge, I currently like 7 men who post regularly on WP. I could be forgetting one or two. Some I like for their rational contributions and insight, some for their compassion, and a couple for both.

I like more male posters than female posters these days.

WP is dead right now.

I hope I’ve not gone overboard in my praise. I know I can be a little flowery with my words sometimes. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 6:25 pm

My adopted son is a force to be reckoned with. I first met him at four months old in a yellow bouncy chair. Even then I could see his stubborn streak, but I loved him anyway. By age 3 we were fostering him. By age 6 he was ours. He grew up with severe learning abilities, ADHD, ODD, and the knowledge that neither of his bio parents believed he was more important than drugs. He barely made it through school because he was a daredevil, but also because he felt less capable than other kids. Mothers' Day was always difficult for him and he still doesn't like to talk about it, even though it's obvious why. Despite being abandoned he always pushed ahead, determined to stand on his own two feet. From the day he left high school he's done just that - travelling the world without a dollar to his name, making ends meet, making people laugh, and living life large. He's packed more into his life than most of us will ever do, and he's been so successful it puts us all to shame.

I can't take credit for any of the great things he's done because that's all on him. He's a self-starter and he won't take no for an answer. I wish more people could have his talent, initiative, and will to persevere.

Sending love across the world to you, mate.
Looks like you made it. :heart:

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 6:36 pm

My new manager (who is a dude) is really cool. He explains things very well and makes sure we comprehend what he's telling us. He's also very understanding. He asked me today how my anxiety/sensory issues were doing and said he hopes I'm doing better, which was very nice.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 8:39 pm

My adopted dad, taught me to ride a bike, was always sweet, never raised his voice or laid a hand on me.
He died when I was seven and I lost my hero. :(
My foster dad, who taught me to drive , gave me good advice, encouraged my art and treated me like one of his own kids.
My foster brothers, one taught me to play D&D and the other was such a great friend to hand out with.Always a smile on his face and making people laugh.
Mr former therapist, who helped me find the courage to leave my ex.
Several other male counselors later on that were fantastic.
The Doctor I had for most of my life,he truly cared about all his patients.Always had time to listen.
The fedex man that said when my road fell out that he would bring my dogs food down the back way if I needed it.
My old boss, who was a hoot.Made jello brains for the pie case display on Halloween.Made work fun.RIP Tiger.
One of my best friends, always there to help out and share a glass of wine and a laugh.Had many fun adventures together.
Wicked sense of humor.
Some of my neighbors, great guys.If you need help,call.
An older friend, now passed.Help me buy my first ride after divorce,drove me all over the place with a mechanic friend so I would find a good one.Always up for a BBQ and all the beer you could hold.
Helped everyone.Never knew a stranger.
My son, who can be a real pain at times but has a tender and good heart.
A cousin and a Uncle who were always fun and telling jokes and stories.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2023, 10:16 pm

My first music teacher.He could play every instrument in the band room.I was fortunate to take private lessons from him.He taught me one of the greatest lessons ever.
When I made a mistake during practice I wanted to stop, go back to the beginning ,and start over.He said ,no, you have to play through.
That’s how life is.There are mistakes, but you play through.

And Tom, who taught me to swim and how to eat escargot.Even let me keep the shells.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 1:20 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

I wouldn't be addicted to this place if it weren't for the many great men who keep it ticking. Some of you are so funny I laugh out loud and my kids come running because they think I can't breathe. :P Some of you restore my faith in humanity when I see your calm consistency and resilience. You don't even need to do anything special -- just "being there" makes a huge difference to many people's day. Some of you reminded me how to trust again, after heinous trauma. Some of you have literally saved my life on my darkest days, whether you know it or not. It doesn't take much to help a person feel valued, but you make it seem effortless. You've gone above and beyond with your witty banter, dark sarcasm, empathetic props, predictable quips, and insightful observations about everything from Autism to relationships, books, music, movies, and mental health. You've challenged me, supported me, and put up with me no matter what, even when I likely drive you mad.

My entertainment services here are not for free, I am still waiting for my paycheck, Miss brain surgeon.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 1:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
My entertainment services here are not for free, I am still waiting for my paycheck, Miss brain surgeon.

Yes, but can you dance? ^^

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 3:47 am

Thanks goodness my SO hates dancing too; she is quite the singer tho.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:18 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

Part of the reason I like this place is cos you get honest opinions from women.