'Barefoot Autism Challenge' raising awareness at NY museum

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 7:02 pm

Fox 5 New York

Quote:
Have you ever considered going to the Guggenheim Museum barefoot?

Most people probably didn't, but the Barefoot Autism Challenge might change your perspective.

Tyler Leech, who is autistic, started the challenge in 2017 to help educate the public about sensory sensitivities most people on the spectrum experience.

"It can even make things like shoes and socks feel constricting," Leech explains.

Ken Posner, who has no personal connection to autism, was inspired by the challenge and decided to participate.

"A lightbulb went off, and I realized I had just learned something important from the autistic community," he says.

Along with his friend Alfred Gon, Posner kicked off his shoes at the Guggenheim Museum on the Upper East Side, which supports the autistic community through the barefoot challenge and art programs.

The challenge is not only a fun activity but also serves a therapeutic purpose. The calming effect and natural stimulation from walking barefoot can create a better sense of grounding for autistic people.

The Barefoot Autism Challenge has become a way to raise awareness and help the autism community in NYC. By removing their shoes in public places, participants are also drawing attention to the issue and promoting acceptance and understanding.

For those who are not on the spectrum, going barefoot may seem like a small act. But for those who experience sensory sensitivities, it can make a big difference. Leech hopes that the challenge will encourage people to see things from the perspective of those on the spectrum and to be more inclusive.

"It almost makes you feel like you're a kid again, cause every kid likes being barefoot," Leech told FOX 5 NY.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 8:00 pm

I'm always barefoot inside homes, mine or others. I need the sensory stim of being grounded and I despise socks and shoes. I like the idea of being barefoot at other places besides home, but it also seems unhygienic to walk about in a public space with all those other bare feet. It would depend on the floor surface. Is it tile? I picture all those barefoot-footprint-marks and foot sweat from strangers and it's a little off-putting. My feet could also get really sore if the floor isn't soft enough. Lots of people need orthotics -- but of course I totally get the point. Sorry, I need to microanalyse everything. :mrgreen: I'd be much more concerned with the lighting and acoustics than walking around with bare feet. I'd also love advance notice of days with no tour groups or school groups for museums and aquaria. :heart:

One of my favourite TedX features an autistic woman with bare feet so I think it's becoming more understood.

TedX if you're interested: I have her tshirt. :P

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 10:08 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

I am not fond of being barefoot, unless water (swimming or bathing) is involved.
I don't even walk around in our house barefoot.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2023, 11:26 pm

I wear slippers at home.

I don't like wearing shoes at home, but I don't like being barefoot either due to a tendency to stub my toes when I am barefoot. I need something to protect my toes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 1:29 am

I sometimes take my shoes off in indoor, but public spaces. If I'm staying in a hotel I rarely walk the halls in shoes, for example.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う