Support/Service dog for a dog-resistant teen

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2023, 4:00 pm

We are considering a German shepherd/hound who is 1.5 and has been an inside dog. He "gets his feelings hurt" and pulls his ears back to tell you about it. My son(15) and I both are pretty picky about dogs. there are a couple dogs we tolerate well and a couple dogs we just love. My son is doing the research to see if this will be doable long term, cost, effort, training, etc. Once he thinks he can handle the responsibility and cost issues have been addressed, we would meet to dog and get a feel for him. Then we would want to do a trial run of 3-4 days minimum but a week would be better. Then once that trial passed and he became our son's dog, training would begin, our son doing the training himself. At least that's what I'm thinking right now. He would have to already be a pretty good dog because even though my son is tall, he's barely over 100# so he wouldn't be able to keep control of the doggo if he decided to run. I'm thinking this would be a great way to keep my son active, give him the security and emotional support he needs without having to find words, a service/support dog would also be a support in social situations that make my son nervous, and would be a great help at keeping him company if my husband and I are away from home for an over-night or more. The cleanliness and lots of barking are hard boundaries for me. I can handle a little "Someone's here" barking and some dog hair on my clothes isn't a big deal, but much more than that would be too much for me. My son is also already responsible for sweeping the hardwood floors and mopping, so those changes would already be on him to deal with. What I'm wondering is 1-has anyone ever trained a dog themselves, 2-if so, do you have any pointers or other things I haven't thought of? This doggo sounds like he's emotionally sensitive and I wouldn't want to cause more emotional trauma to him if we can figure out how we would feel about the dog before even meeting him. Also, Thank you in advance for taking the time to delve into this topic with me.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 8:00 pm

Do you mean an emotional support animal, or a service dog? Service dogs do specific tasks that they're trained to do to help people with a disability and are different than just an emotional support animal.

Have you guys had a dog before? Also, I think it'll be hard to find a younger adult dog already w/ basic training (not to run or pull on the leash, potty inside, etc.) that will also have the proper temperament + receptiveness to become a service dog. And you might have to look at quite a few dogs before you find one that might be a right fit to be an SD, but even then people have their dogs "wash out" of becoming an SD all the time.

If you just want your dog to help your son at home that would be much easier, but if he wants to take the dog in public he'll have to do somewhat rigorous training to have the dog behave well enough and the dog be receptive to it. You also should really help with the basic training of the dog, at least a bit, no matter what you do w/ the dog because it may not listen to you if you don't.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:49 pm

If he's dog-resistant, I suspect a dog might not be suitable/might be more trouble than benefit.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 6:09 pm

If it's to be an emotional support animal it doesn't have to be a dog. What about a cat, rabbit, guinea pig or bearded dragon?

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 7:24 pm

OP talks about training, so it's likely they do mean an actual SD. I think by law, iirc, an SD has to have at least two trained tasks that aid the handler's disability. (This information is easily available on the ADA website, if I am wrong)

I have seen SDs for autism on tiktok. One task I've seen several utilize has been a way to keep other people from crowding the handler. One tiktoker dubs this task "orbit" - the dog walks in circles around the handler to keep people from coming close.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 11:45 pm

colliegrace wrote:
OP talks about training, so it's likely they do mean an actual SD. I think by law, iirc, an SD has to have at least two trained tasks that aid the handler's disability. (This information is easily available on the ADA website, if I am wrong)

I have seen SDs for autism on tiktok. One task I've seen several utilize has been a way to keep other people from crowding the handler. One tiktoker dubs this task "orbit" - the dog walks in circles around the handler to keep people from coming close.

There are farm animals that might work too. You have find a borderline grey area one though for apartments.. people Sell a lot of exotic type animals if you look on Craigslist or something. It really depends.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2023, 12:07 pm

Thank you all for your feedback! I was thinking a service dog that could go with him into public and help him stay calm. Another animal may be able to do the same thing, though the behavioral requirements of a service animal would be strict, which I agree with completely. The services performed would be more of an emotional support, helping him prevent a meltdown...which would fall under emotional support in my mind. He has decided that a dog is bigger then he would really like and I have suggested that he research to see if anyone has certified another animal like a cat. He has calmed down a lot since he was little, but I worry that he just keeps those emotions inside. As I become more familiar with autism, the idea of him just keeping those emotions inside doesn't sit well. An animal would help him work out those feelings without having to use words. Thank you all again for your input! There are a lot of really great points you bring up! We will keep those in mind moving forward.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 4:58 pm

Ceallaigh wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback! I was thinking a service dog that could go with him into public and help him stay calm. Another animal may be able to do the same thing, though the behavioral requirements of a service animal would be strict, which I agree with completely. The services performed would be more of an emotional support, helping him prevent a meltdown...which would fall under emotional support in my mind. He has decided that a dog is bigger then he would really like and I have suggested that he research to see if anyone has certified another animal like a cat. He has calmed down a lot since he was little, but I worry that he just keeps those emotions inside. As I become more familiar with autism, the idea of him just keeping those emotions inside doesn't sit well. An animal would help him work out those feelings without having to use words. Thank you all again for your input! There are a lot of really great points you bring up! We will keep those in mind moving forward.

There's a lot of tasks a service dog can do to prevent meltdowns/shutdowns, like DPT (deep pressure therapy), crowd control (like colliegrace mentioned), being taught to act like they need to go potty so the handler can leave a room/situation, persistently nudging the handler to redirect/distract them, etc.

I also don't know about cats being service animals (they can be, though it depends on the country whether they will be recognized as one and given the protections that a service animal gets), but you can have a smaller dog as a service dog if your son doesn't want a bigger one. The tasks it can do will obviously be much more limited though.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 5:05 pm

Ceallaigh wrote:

I've seen where service animals can also be trained to calm during say a panic attack, by lying in the handler's lap or providing some sort of pressure as a grounding technique.
Might not be helpful for meltdowns though depending on his sensory profile - ie, does he tend to not want to be touched during a meltdown.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 6:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If he's dog-resistant, I suspect a dog might not be suitable/might be more trouble than benefit.

Various levels of fears of dog are more common than people realize. I definitely wouldn't be bringing a dog into the house without first dealing with that issue. If the teen can't/won't visit places where there are significant numbers of dogs, then I'd be really hesitant to have one at home.

Plus, even if this can be smoothed over, you have to be really careful about the particular type of dog. Ones that are hyperactive or larger than normal are probably not going to work out. Same goes for dogs that aren't properly trained. I'm a bit afraid of dogs, but service dogs are usually not an issue. Support dogs are often times also not an issue, but only if they're actually properly trained to not cause trouble.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 6:57 pm

Fairfield wrote:
Ceallaigh wrote:

There's a lot of tasks a service dog can do to prevent meltdowns/shutdowns, like DPT (deep pressure therapy), crowd control (like colliegrace mentioned), being taught to act like they need to go potty so the handler can leave a room/situation, persistently nudging the handler to redirect/distract them, etc.

I also don't know about cats being service animals (they can be, though it depends on the country whether they will be recognized as one and given the protections that a service animal gets), but you can have a smaller dog as a service dog if your son doesn't want a bigger one. The tasks it can do will obviously be much more limited though.

There's lot of options for types of animals, AFAIK, there is no particular list of animals that can and can't be service animals so long as they qualify the same as other animals do. IIRC, there was a guy not too far from here that had a service snake. The snake would brace his neck if he had a seizure and fell, or something along those lines.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2023, 10:52 pm

Wow! A service snake! What a sight that must be! I am loving all the very valuable input! There are so many good points and things I didn't know about this topic. I'm not sure what my son will decide to do, but he IS capable of acting for himself on this issue. I'm very thankful for all the info so that I can guide him and answer questions. I DO agree about training. No matter what animal he might choose, it would have to be able to behave like a service animal in public, even if it is unable to get official certification. He would be able to have it with him for most situations. I also agree that pressure would be a great benefit and should be a relatively straight-forward task if the animal were trainable.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 12:57 pm

I am a cat person, but many years ago I reluctantly got a pit bull. I wanted to beat him to death many times when I first got him. I would be very stressed out and he would choose that time to sit in front of me and whine for a walk. NO! I'd say, but to shut him up, I'd get the leash and we'd go walk. I learned that I liked taking walks. They make me feel better when I'm stressed out.

Since I am not a dog person and at that time I was living alone, I tried to get him to sleep in his crate. More whining. I let him sleep at my legs just so I could have silence. He still sleeps at my legs 12 years later, but now he's in between me and my husband.

I'd forget to eat until he'd appear in front of me again. Boof! Oh yeah, okay, I guess we can eat. I was pretty much only eating coffee and salad back then. I incorporated some meat and fish so he could share. He still gets the last bite of anything I eat, so I make sure to eat things that are okay for dogs.

I recommend you guys give a dog a chance. They force you out of yourself and the bad stuff just melts away.

But if a dog isn't feasible, a cat?

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2023, 10:07 pm

So glad it worked out well for you! My son decided against a service animal of any sort and says that it might be better to wait until later and see if it's more necessary as he gets older. He says that he doesn't think he needs one enough to compensate for all the difficulties in getting one. Thank you for your response!