what things (not sensory) severely upset you as a child?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 5:40 pm

KitLily wrote:
I don't remember that one but at school we were shown a film about children playing on a building site that was similar. One of them put his hand on a live wire and blew up. Another one flew a kite near a pylon and was electrocuted.

And also do you remember the 'how to survive a nuclear war' information films shown at school? The advice was to shut all the windows and hide under a table. Or something ridiculous like that. As if that would save you from a nuclear attack! They also showed the effects of radiation on humans, which were gruesome of course.

All very gruesome, why show primary school children things like that.

And of course Watership Down. The 'children's film' that wasn't suitable for children. My whole generation was traumatised by that.

I certainly remember the kid flying his kite near an electricity pylon. I think the threat of nuclear bombs had receded a bit by the time I was in school so we were not shown that one.

Weirdly, I watched Watership Down a couple of days ago for the first time in ages - yes, I too was traumatised by i that as a child. Some parts are the closest thing I've seen in film to a bad mushroom trip. This film is still rated U (i.e. Suitable for all ages).in the UK. Watching it again I think an awful lot of the terror in it is down to the soundtrack which is just nightmarish in places.

Another thing that really messed me up was Ghost Watch. This was a one-off show that presented itself as a live broadcast from Britain's most haunted house. It was shown one Halloween. I was terrified of ghosts and was convinced that the house I lived in at the time was haunted. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to watch it! It kick started my first experience with insomnia and I spent many nights after that awake and just listening in terror to the sounds of the house.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 6:00 pm

Kids leaving swings and roundabouts when they left them moving. I would have to stop them before I was happy. Health and safety from a young age!
Hated baloons popping or loud sudden bangs such as fireworks. Usual stuff.
People shouting/argueing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 6:04 pm

Dangerous and overwhelming stuff couldn't upset me. It even excites me. It gives me 'excuses'.

Yet some mundane and even wholesome stuff DO upset me. And there's a lot of that.

In some way, I might be possessed. Or something really messed up since aged 5 or so.

There's just no reason why I ever unless there's really something I couldn't able to remember.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 6:34 pm

Warning: possible trigger (burns)

I remember being in grade school around second grade and being shown a presentation on fires. There were slides of actual burned bodies of adults and children from house fires. Some survived, others did not. The one that bothered me the most was a 6 year old girl who burned to death in her bedroom. The picture blocked out her eyes, but you could tell that she died screaming under her bed. I could visualize the process over and over in my head. The bed frame melted on top of her. It was really horrible presentation to watch. It gave me nightmares for six months strait. My parents were mad at the school for showing that to me. They were not alone. The school had to formally apologize to each of the students shown the presentation.

It no longer bothers me as much to see a severe burn. I handle accidents in the lab too much I guess.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 6:56 pm

Most of them are trauma related. The thing that upset me the most was never being allowed to do sports, any extracurricular activities, play outside, go to other kids houses or visit extended family, have someone give a s**t about my education, etc. because my parents were "too burned out" from my older siblings and them doing that s**t. Basically being needlessly stifled regarding every normal activity a child does, all out of pure laziness and selfishness.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 9:31 pm

Trauma.

Time and hearing clocks tick (not sensory but fear).

When the witch lady took Toto in her bicycle basket.

Whenever my dad was late coming home from work I thought he was dead.

The idea of getting married - my husband might die and I wouldn't know what to do with his body.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 5:47 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Weirdly, I watched Watership Down a couple of days ago for the first time in ages - yes, I too was traumatised by i that as a child. Some parts are the closest thing I've seen in film to a bad mushroom trip. This film is still rated U (i.e. Suitable for all ages).in the UK. Watching it again I think an awful lot of the terror in it is down to the soundtrack which is just nightmarish in places.

I don't know anyone who enjoyed the film of Watership Down. I started reading the book some years ago to see if it was as bad. I stopped after a few pages as it was so horrible.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 7:05 am

I could hardly sit through many '80s era sitcoms because of how often the plots were being driven by people doing clearly stupid things. I knew they were going to end badly, and it was deeply upsetting to the point where I'd struggle to sit through it at all and the payback was rarely worth it.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 7:50 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
I could hardly sit through many '80s era sitcoms because of how often the plots were being driven by people doing clearly stupid things. I knew they were going to end badly, and it was deeply upsetting to the point where I'd struggle to sit through it at all and the payback was rarely worth it.

Ooo. I wouldn't say those things severely upset me, but they did make me uncomfortable for sure.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD