Elon Musk promotes free speech...then did THIS! Shocking.

Page 1 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 8:17 am

Link:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/elon-musk-self-described-free-speech-absolutist-limits-free-speech-since-taking-over-twitter#&_intcmp=fnhpbt1,hp1bt

The problem free-speechers will encounter every time is that although everyone HAS the right to free speech, no private person or company can be compelled to allow just anyone to say just anything on their platform. We have every right to say what we want in the public sphere. We just aren't obligated to give anyone and everyone a microphone.

Elon Musk bought a massive microphone that can be passed around the entire planet. It's HIS microphone. And if he doesn't like what you have to say, he can take his microphone back any time he likes.

It amuses me that people are already coming out of the woodwork to complain about Elon Musk and free speech hypocrisy. I'm not going to delve into whether he really is a hypocrite or not. I don't completely agree with the way I've been treated by mods/admins on WrongPlanet. But it's not my website to run. Whatever I say on here is at the mercy of those who own and run the site. So I'd say that for those who don't like how Musk uses his own microphone, you are free to buy your own. If you can't do that, you are free to build one.

Sure, Google and Amazon are huge and effective at deplatforming. But there's also the dark web where people have a little more freedom. There are competing organizations and websites that encourage different ideas with their own rules for what people can/can't say. There's no need for concern over the "tyranny" of people who own/operate services like FB/Meta or Twitter.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 9:14 am

AngelRho wrote:
I don't completely agree with the way I've been treated by mods/admins on WrongPlanet. But it's not my website to run. Whatever I say on here is at the mercy of those who own and run the site.

What did they do to you? Were you treated unfairly?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 10:22 am

Doesn't surprise me much that a multi-billionaire has indulged in self-serving hypocritical behaviour. But I see nothing wrong in propagating the revelation about him, assuming public disapproval is capable of putting a dent in his powerful position.

It's very reassuring to know that if I don't like Twitter, I can simply create my own platform and grow it till it's so colossal it can shout Twitter down.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 10:41 am

Here is the solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KjWvMhPNs

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 10:47 am

Elon Musk has never promoted Free Speech. He only promotes himself. He's not a brilliant business man, He is merely willing to risk other people's money on projects that will make him rich. - So NO, I wouldn't call that "shocking" at all. Even the fact that no one saw it coming wasn't shocking - the average human isn't all that bright.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 12:04 pm

Honey69 wrote:

I enjoyed that. Got one over on him though, I never joined Twitter in the first place. I just kind of sensed it wouldn't make me happy.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 1:48 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

I enjoyed that. Got one over on him though, I never joined Twitter in the first place. I just kind of sensed it wouldn't make me happy.

Yeah. Twitter is just a place for old people to hurl insults at each other. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 2:32 pm

I don't see anything particularly debunking here. The accusation is that he implemented antidoxing policies, he banned Kanye West for twitting some crazy s**t about Nazis and Jews, he had frictions with two journalists and with competitors. Doesn't sound that horrific to me. Just scavenging for whatever traces of controversy to built a case.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 3:20 pm

Some of you might be interested in checking out Reddit, if you haven't already. They have a huge (seemingly infinite) number of subreddits--individual communities with shared interests. Much better than twitter. If you don't like one subreddit, or the administrators of a particular subreddit don't like you, no big deal. There are plenty of other subreddits that are likely to interest you.

Twitter seems to be a source of news for lazy journalists--they make a huge deal out of "so-and-so tweeted such-and-such, and twitter went WILD!" It is nothing but garbage.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 4:28 pm

I wish I could check out Reddit, but Firefox won't let me. All I get is:

Quote:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to libredd.it. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

But I'll keep looking for a solution, because some of the previews of Reddit stuff that come up in my search engine hits look as if they were written by people with more than 2 brain cells.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 5:47 pm

That's strange. Maybe try a different browser?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 7:03 pm

Strange, but a known issue according to a Web search. At least it was an issue a year ago. Haven't found any recent reports of it screwing up again, but I have heard one guy saying recently that FF is failing to open some websites (not specified). This is the other error message I sometimes see when trying to open Reddit pages:
Hmm... We couldn't reach this Repl
Make sure this Repl has a port open and is ready to receive HTTP traffic.

Not knowing what a Repl is, or how to do any of that stuff, that wasn't helpful.

But, happy to say, I just tried Google Chrome, and that did the trick. Only problem now is that it's by Google (who I don't trust with regard to privacy). I might try Waterfox or Brave.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 7:11 pm

Many websites now are trying to exclude those browsers that protect privacy, use ad-blocking or limit 3rd-party cookies.

Reddit relies heavily on Advertising, so it may be an ad-blocking issue.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 7:30 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

But, happy to say, I just tried Google Chrome, and that did the trick. Only problem now is that it's by Google (who I don't trust with regard to privacy). I might try Waterfox or Brave.

You could try using Google Chrome only for Reddit, and Firefox for everything else.

If I remember correctly, AngelRho (who started this discussion) has some Christian inclinations. On Reddit, there is at least one subreddit for every stripe of Christianity (except maybe for the Amish, unless there is something like ex-Amish or Recovered-Amish).

Also, if you enjoy looking at photos of naked women, there is a subreddit for just about every body type imaginable.

Probably for men, too, although I didn't investigate thoroughly.

I looked up some of the naked women subreddits, purely for investigational and educational purposes. There are more than you could shake a stick at.

And, you can start a subreddit yourself, if you have a particular interest that you would like to share with others.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 9:18 pm

Yes I might end up just using Chrome for Reddit, though there might be a lot of info for Google to collect about me and sell if I end up visiting Reddit a lot. I just tried Brave but despite its reputation I was unimpressed, possibly because it was an old version, recent ones not supporting Win7 32-bit. Couldn't even download add-ons such as uBlock Origin and NoScript, so Reddit had ads.

I agree there's a lot there - something for everybody.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 10:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes I might end up just using Chrome for Reddit, though there might be a lot of info for Google to collect about me and sell if I end up visiting Reddit a lot. I just tried Brave but despite its reputation I was unimpressed, possibly because it was an old version, recent ones not supporting Win7 32-bit. Couldn't even download add-ons such as uBlock Origin and NoScript, so Reddit had ads.

I agree there's a lot there - something for everybody.

I don't really understand Reddit. There's a lot of helpful information on there from regular people interested in the same kinds of things I'm interested in. I'm not very comfortable being an active participant, though. It seems easy to get swallowed up by the crowds. WP isn't as informative for my range of interests, but it's an easier community to navigate. I'm not looking for approval or for an echo chamber. Just some acknowledgment that my ideas have been received one way or another.

It's nice having people to talk to.